Wow little kids with pocket knives...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Wow little kids with pocket knives...

Post by spyderHS08 »

In no way am I putting down this knife. I just cant believe this kid. Hardly sounds 11 years old. Wonder where the kid even "edc's" that thing! lol as he says in the vid. anyways thought some of you guys would get a laugh outta this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU9bd0fK ... L&index=41

And I hope his kershaw rusts from that... :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I bought my first spydie at 14, but had been carrying since I was about 5... so it's not hard to believe a young kid carries a knife everywhere (not gonna say how many times I got in trouble for having a knife at school :rolleyes :) .

Have to find something for my niece in a couple months, probably take her to pick out her own byrd. Hasn't lost or damaged the LM squirt I gave her last year, and has only cut herself a couple times.

Biggest clue that kid in the vid isn't a knife nut... "that's just blood from when I cut myself a couple days ago" Usually the knife is cleaned before the finger is :p
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I had a Bowie on my belt when I was 10.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I used to carry a knife when I was of his age myself. I only wish I had a Spyderco... :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I grew up in what seems like another country. Geographically, Long Island, N.Y., but long ago. Most boys got some sort of cheap single blade slipjoint at about age 7 or 8. Every Cub Scout had a Scout knife at about age 9 and Boy Scouts carried sheath knives. Did not bring sheath knives to school, but we all had pocket knives. We were taught how to use (and sharpen) them and that was that. Carrying a knife was not a crime. Stabbing or cutting someone was.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

That boy knows how to handle that knife.I started carrying when i was 6 years old,and back in those days you could take your knife to school and i did and now you take it to school and wind up in the grey bar motel,times have changed so much.

Post by 224477 »

I carry a knife since elementary school, I had my 1st Spyderco by the age of 14, it was a FRN Aus8 CE Delica. Once, my kids will carry blades as well and they will be educated how to use it, as a tool and later, as a tool for defending themselves, too.

We should spread this kind of knowledge, otherwise in future, everything will be sliced in the grocery shops for us and the only weapon will be a hand tissue for wiping off the tears.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Didn't watch the whole thing, just the first 5 minutes or so, but the kid seemed quite sensible and was doing a better job that a lot of the adults who make knife review videos. I'm in the same boat as Freeman7. I grew up on the north shore of Long Island in the 50's, graduated high school there in the early 60's. I'd bet that, on any given day, from third grade up, well over half the boys had a knife in their pocket. Know there was always one in mine. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ed Schempp

Kudos !

Post by Ed Schempp »

It is great to see young folks demonstrate the capacity to understand, and elaborate knife as tool.

I'm a firm believer of teaching young folks about the proper use and carry of man's oldest tool.

Good job young man...Take care...Ed
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Ed Schempp wrote:It is great to see young folks demonstrate the capacity to understand, and elaborate knife as tool.

I'm a firm believer of teaching young folks about the proper use and carry of man's oldest tool.

Good job young man...Take care...Ed
Well said and I second that!

I started carrying when I was 4. Greatest gift ever given to me by my farther! I still edc my 19 year old victorinox climber!
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I started when I was 11 I think. This kid definitely looks like a real knifeknut. With the brands he's starting out with, he's going to save a lot of money learning about knives. Man, I had to buy and try brands out to learn if they were any good. With the Internet you can actually get some user opinions before you buy. In a way it's not fair. ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I was probably 13 when I got my first ladybug. Now I'm 21. I had a SAK since I was 10 though.

This vid shows hope for America's future!!!

I never hurt myself or anyone else with a knife when I was that young, but I did give someone a hair cut on a 13 hour bus ride once...... :rolleyes:

live and learn!
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

That kid has been taught well.
Sounds a little like my son.He has been EDCing a Delica sense he was 10 and carrying a knife sense about 8.He just turned 12 on the 4th.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
supmonkeyface

Post by supmonkeyface »

I'm only sixteen. I have plenty of knives (not just the spydie's in my sig either) I find it an awesome hobby and its just what I like to do. I use my knives at work, for opening boxes unpacking bicycles (i work at a bike shop) and for general food preparation. I don't view them as weapons, although they can be used as such. Most of my week to week paycheck goes to knives because I don't have bills to pay. :p
T-Mag (awesome), PE Endura Wave, PE FRN Dragonfly, SE Delica4 FG, PE Manix FG, Lava, Swick-(2009), SE Blue Do-Do, Karambit, SE Para-Military, SE Micarta Spot, Bug, Hossom Forester, 2009 Forum Native, Spyderhawk Salt SE
MasterExploder

Post by MasterExploder »

I received my first multi-blade folder around the age of 6, and had a Western brand sheath knife by the time I was 9.

30 years later, I still have it, one of maybe 3 items left over from my childhood.

By the time I was 16, I was carrying a Cold Steel Urban Pal punch dagger every single day after being hospitalized by two punks who were not only larger and in a grade above me, but who both also needed to gang up on me so that my resisting the assault was absolutely hopeless.
I learned a lot about weapons and self-defense after that.

There has never been a day since recovering physically from that assault that has gone by where I did not feel wrong without a defensive blade, a firearm, or both on me.

Almost 25 years later, my attitude is still the same regarding defensive weapons. I have not needed one since, but if I do there it is, much like insurance.
My eyeball area still twinges from time to time where the metal wire holds my right orbital together, and I still wish that I had met that assault with a good knife and proper training.

It would have been hard for them to attack anyone else after the proper application of a sharp blade to their more necessary tendons.
A nice, deep stab into the armpit or groin can work wonders on a person's attitude as well

If I had a child, I would teach them about the responsibility associated with weapons of any sort, including things like baseball bats and automobiles.
The fact that society has a misguided sense of a "fair fight' would also be explained.

MasterExploder

I would also teach my child self-defense both unarmed and with various weapons, and hope it was his or her attackers that went to the hospital instead of my child should my child ever suffer the same type of brutal and unprovoked attack that I suffered.
bell

Excellent review

Post by bell »

The voice could be some adult whose parents gave him a knive at age 5 and he "slipped" and always had that high voice.

Any child under teen age does not have the judgement or motor skills to handle a sharp knife.

In an urban environment the parents are at risk of "child endagerment" and in rural areas, well.. good luck.

Putting on flame retardent suit.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

bell wrote:The voice could be some adult whose parents gave him a knive at age 5 and he "slipped" and always had that high voice.

Any child under teen age does not have the judgement or motor skills to handle a sharp knife.

In an urban environment the parents are at risk of "child endagerment" and in rural areas, well.. good luck.

Putting on flame retardent suit.
That is a very broad brush you are painting with there. I've carried a pocket knife or two every day since I was six, except for the nine weeks of boot camp when we weren't allowed to have anything in our pockets. I still have all my digits, and they all still work, so I must have done okay.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Ed Schempp

disagree

Post by Ed Schempp »

Many here have been handling and carrying a knife most of their lives, many at a much younger age than the young gentleman doing the video. I've carried sense I was 5, and was free to hunt with a firearm at age 10. I did take a hunter safety course. I confront many hunters every year that don't have the training or the education to hunt safely. It is not so much a matter of age as it is education and experience. I have great faith in the youth that when handed a responsibility often handle that responsibility better than adult particularly those that need a two ton cooler carrier.

Urban pressures are another matter, as are urban laws designed to handle the lowest common denominator. In the urban environment the laws carry more weight than the need. Parental supervision and interaction are paramount to youth with knives.

Cars in the parking lot of a school in Montana often have gun racks housing a shotgun and a deer rifle and you are not allowed to have a fixed blade knife longer than 5 inches. Every environment is different...Take Care...Ed
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

bell wrote:
I think my Cub Scout troop might disagree with you.

I'm not sure if there are any laws that limit a child from using a knife.

I just gave my 11 year old niece a Byrd Finch. She loves it and carries it everywhere. She says she uses to cut stuff everyday.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

In 1965 Charles Whitman climbed to the top of the University of Texas Tower and shot to death 13 students and faculty from over 500 feet away. Because over 20 UT students went immediately to their pick-ups and retrieved their hunting rifles and fired upon the sniper distracting him, an off-duty Austin police officer was able to climb to the top of the tower and take down the killer. Had this incident happened in today's sissy-*** NKP-NGP world, many experts have estimated that more than 30 students and faculty would die. In the 80's I walked to class every day there, and not one day went by that I did not notice the bullet indentions in the buildings from that horrible day.

UT finally re-opened the observation deck at the top of the tower just a couple years ago. They left the bullet indentions intact fired by students from the ground as well, knowing these 18 to 22 year-old students with knives in their pockets and guns in their vehicles had saved many, many lives.
Spyderco Collector #162