The kind of knife that's missing from Spyderco's line-up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dagon

The kind of knife that's missing from Spyderco's line-up

Post by Dagon »

Hi all,

There's one category of folding knives for which I think that Spyderco doesn't really have a product. The Centofante 3 comes close though.
I am taking about elegant EDC folders with a general focus on food (but usable wider in a gentleman kind of way). The French are really good at this kind of knife, think about the classic laguiole design, or the somewhat lesser known but equally nice Le Thiers (shown with CF handle), or the unique Nontron which I use quite often. There are a few modern approaches such as the suave Italian Maserin Gourmetwhich I regularly used during my latest holiday.
Typically the blade is rather thin, in a good stainless steel, and around 4 inches long. A lock is possible but not really required.

I would love to see a Spyderco for this part of the market.
Reactions eagerly awaited.
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Yes I know about that classic - and it's in essence impossible to find.
A new high-tech Spyderco laguiole (perhaps with spyder icon instead of the bee), that would really appeal to me.
catamount

Post by catamount »

Sounds like the upcoming Chokwe might fill the bill.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Chokwe - good remark. Possibly. I will probably buy the Chokwe as it's rather nice, but I am not yet convinced that it can replace a laguiole as a general food-oriented EDC.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Terzuola SlipIt seems to fall into that category. With a Krein FFG, it most definiitely would. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

There's a PE with a cracked handle up on ebay right now.

What a coincidence! :rolleyes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPYDERCO-LAGUIOLE-R ... 286.c0.m14
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

The Terzuola SlipIt seems to fall into that category. With a Krein FFG, it most definiitely would.
Agree about the general looks of the blade, but it should be longer for this usage - at least 4".
There's a PE with a cracked handle up on ebay right now.
It will still end up at more than I am prepared to pay for any knife!
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

It will still end up at more than I am prepared to pay for any knife!
There have been many on ebay that have gone that high. Some of them are downright ridiculous! Then again, sometimes you get some really good deals too.

What is really funny is seeing a knife that is still in production with a starting bid HIGHER than the MSRP, and they have a bid! Or one that is still in production being advertised as "RARE! Hard to find!, Etc, Etc."

Any more, if it has "RARE" in the title, I just pass on even looking at the item. I know others who do the same. That word probably kills more sales than it helps.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The Maserin Gourmet is a nice looking knife.
The French types don't appeal to me.
Right now for a folding food knife I use the Stretch, though not often.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Dagon wrote:Agree about the general looks of the blade, but it should be longer for this usage - at least 4".
Well, that's where we differ. It may be a cultural thing, but I've yet to find any food related usage I would engage in away from home that my Stretch could not handle more than adequately. In fact, for many things, I find a Kiwi is sufficient. I've also never found a 4" bladed folder that rides nicely in my back pocket, and therefore have no desire to carry one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The Military is my favorite food prep knife whether cutting vegetables, slicing bread (combo - teeth help on tough crust), or spreading peanut butter. I have one in my back pocket right now; it's so thin and light I'd forgotten it was there.

I know the desire espressed was for something more elegant, but I'd rather have a more versatile knife.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Well, that's where we differ. It may be a cultural thing, but I've yet to find any food related usage I would engage in away from home that my Stretch could not handle more than adequately.
Yes, the Stretch blade looks quite a bit like the one of the Centofante 3 and I used that one regularly during holiday. The blade of the Stretch is longer (that's good) but unfortunately also thicker. The Centofante's blade is 2mm thick which works well for food.
The Military is my favorite food prep knife whether cutting vegetables, slicing bread (combo - teeth help on tough crust), or spreading peanut butter. I have one in my back pocket right now; it's so thin and light I'd forgotten it was there.

I know the desire espressed was for something more elegant, but I'd rather have a more versatile knife.
Yesterday I did some food prep with my Military and it went fairly well but I think that the blade is too thick for precise food slicing - actually a simple Opinel does that better. And indeed, it looks in my opinion too tactical for this EDC usage. This experience prompted me to start the thread!

The Rock Lobster looks quite ok for this usage. Again a 3mm thick blade is more than the 2mm ideal but otherwise it seems it could work well. Did anyone try it on food?

Finally, not a Spyderco but the Klotzli Walker 03 is a modern design that looks like it meets my requirements.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

i suggest trying the foilage green g-10 endura with the flat grind.
Dagon

Post by Dagon »

i suggest trying the foilage green g-10 endura with the flat grind.
Yes or perhaps the standard one with stainless steel handle as food smudges will be easier to clean. I have 19 Spydercos but not yet an Endura, so that's a good excuse :)
Not exactly my ideal choice as it looks more utilitarian than for example the elegance of a laguiole or a Le Thiers, but interesting.