Recommendation: Smallest "Big" Spyderco??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GG

Recommendation: Smallest "Big" Spyderco??

Post by GG »

Hello All:
Getting back into knives again after foolishly selling most of my collection to fund other toy purchases... Anyway, pretty much everything I have now has a 3" blade or under. I'm NOT a hard user of knives, I use them mostly for everyday tasks (White-collar...), so my Spins, SS Poliwog, Caly 3, and Dodo work fine, and are generally sheeple-friendly. I've had a Strider AR in the past, and that was just TOO big, even for non-work carry. SO - I'm basically looking for ONE 3"+ blade, higher end, PE Spydie. Something that "carries" small (so basically thinner and with a fairly deep-pocket clip) and can be used for general cutting and occasional food prep - cutting apples, cheese, etc. Was looking in vain for a S90V CF Mili (anybody have any leads on one??). Considering a Rock Lobster, CF Stretch, or waiting for a Ti Mili. Any other I should consider? Would buy the CF Manix 2 in a heartbeat if it were a little bigger. I'm not a big fan of the Police-style blades. Somebody here must have suggestions or experience with the longer blades for light, general purpose use.
TIA,
Greg :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I was thinking Centofante IV as soon as I read your post....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

millie, police, calypso (if you can still find one).
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

If I had the money my first choice would be a CF Stretch. The Chinook 3 or the FFG Foliage green JD Smith would also make a great choice. Personally I use my Millie as more of a "utility/work knife" role over a "dress" knife.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on what you want. From what you wrote, 3.5 inches of pure slicing power in an elegant looking, very thin, very compact, and extremely ergonomic, package should fill the bill for you. If that's true, then you will love the CF Stretch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tenman

Post by tenman »

Would not hesitate to recommend the CF Stretch 2. Thinner than the Sage, about 1/4 inch longer but with a longer (by almost 1/2 inch), thinner working edge of solid ZDP. Just happened on one a couple of months ago and really like it, a great edc.
vba

Post by vba »

How about the G10 FG Endura? Don't have one but it is more compact than the military but still has a 3 3/4" blade. This will be my next purchase.

Vinny
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not the greatest pics I've ever taken, by a long shot, but should give you an idea of the size difference between the Stretch II and Military...

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

One other thing worth mentioning. The CF Stretch II in those photos is an early one. The jimping on the newer runs of them is very similar, if not identical, to that on the Military in the photos.
Paul
GG

Post by GG »

The Deacon wrote:Not the greatest pics I've ever taken, by a long shot, but should give you an idea of the size difference between the Stretch II and Military...
Wow, that REALLY helps, thanks Paul! I thought the Mili was thin (compared to my old AR, it is...), but it looks like the CF Stretch takes handle/blade ratio and thinness to another level.

Only other thoughts - how does Rock Lobster perform as a big "Dress" knife (I really like the design - and it looks unintimidating for a big knife), and should I wait for Chokwe?

But right now leaning heavily toward the CF Stretch.
Thanks all.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Stretch II, while you can still find one........

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

GG wrote:Wow, that REALLY helps, thanks Paul! I thought the Mili was thin (compared to my old AR, it is...), but it looks like the CF Stretch takes handle/blade ratio and thinness to another level.

Only other thoughts - how does Rock Lobster perform as a big "Dress" knife (I really like the design - and it looks unintimidating for a big knife), and should I wait for Chokwe?

But right now leaning heavily toward the CF Stretch.
Thanks all.
Glad it helped. Can't help you on the Rock Lobster. Don't think I even handled the prototype at Blade last year. It's too lefty hostile to be of any interest to me. Maybe Tom (catamount), or someone else who has owned all three will chime in.
Paul
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The new Manix2 with the S90v and CF slabs seems to be the pinnacle of "high end" large folders from Spyderco. My guess is it still will be a real pocket full and not make much sense.

The Stretch2 (and even FRN models) are more efficient blade/weight ratio and make more sense for most jobs. It would be my first pick.

You can likely grab an Adventura off the bay for about the same price as a FRN Stretch which carries very slim and has a nice look to it. It's more love or hate but seriously a sharp knife.
Billy

Post by Billy »

You should also consider the Kris. Stainless bolsters, black micarta slabs and that sexy, curvy blade all scream hi-end. Ergonomics are the best of ANY knife I've ever handled and although the blade shape is unconventional, it is every bit as useful as any of the other blade shapes that have been mentioned already. In addition, it actually carries very low and discreet. It is disco'd but can still be found at very reasonable prices. The Kris is easily in my top two favorite knives along with the Military and I would have a hard time deciding which to keep if someone told me I could only keep one knife. Definitely worth a look IMO. Here's a comparison with my Rock Salt, BG-42 Millie and Khukuri. You can see that size-wise, it falls nicely between the Millie and Khukuri.
Attachments
Comparo1.jpg
Comparo1.jpg (93.58 KiB) Viewed 2174 times
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

The Stretch 2 is great, and my Krein reground Barong is absolutely excellent as well. The Stretch 2 CF is a bit more compact with ZDP 189, and the Barong packs almost another 1/2" of blade with a nice forward cant to the blade as it comes out of the handle. After the Krein regrind the Barong is an absolutely great food prep folder, and great all around folder as well. I use it A LOT. The Stretch 2 edges it out a bit in ergos and compact size, as well as edge retention from the ZDP 189 steel. Both come in close in price if you factor in a Krein grind (including adding a thumb ramp) and shipping for the regrind, and both have a similar weight. I prefer the lock back on the Stretch but the liner lock in the Barong is very secure and smooth.

Mike
GG

Post by GG »

BTTT.
I would like to get someones opinion on the Rock Lobster as an EDC. :confused:
gg
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

hey there
take a look at the spyderco rookie. about a 3'' blade if i can recall properly but its very very tiny in terms of thin-ness and length!

also recommend the khukuri. handeled that knife, absolutely dissapears in your pocket and feels amazing.. too bad theres no lefty option for either :(
:spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder::spyder:
iyn

Post by iyn »

salt 1 is my small big knife and my big small knife is the Para military. blades are the same size the handle size and weight are different. I tried the native but it does not feel good in my hand. I'm thinking about the rookie too.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Up-date

Stretch II or S90v Manix 2.

;)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......