Has Spyderco Abandoned the Collectors Club?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi All,

Thought it was time to bring this back up to the top.

Thanx much Deason for the thread. Time for an update.

We're having some hi powered management meetings on this issue. Suffice it to say that it is far more complicated from this end than it might appear.

We do recognize that the old collector club model as it was originated is no longer working. We also recognize that all of the little "fixes" we've tried to initiate in the past year or so are also not working.

There are many reasons for this, but the reasons don't matter as much as the solutions.

We'll no doubt make some major revisions to the model in the next couple of weeks. We're still trying to work out the details.

We'll keep you updated.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Since this is where the ideas were bouncing around, this is where we'll begin with our first draft of a new possible collector club program. The original model created back in 1990 will no longer work as created. Spyderco has changed and the market has changed.

Please keep in mind that the engraved collector club pieces will sell for the same price as regular production.

Bronze (main model) collector:

Receives new models only.

1. A new model number designates a new model; C101, C102, etc.
2. A design sequence number is a new model; Manix2, Delica4, etc.
3. The main collector piece is a plain edge.
4. Includes new fixed blade Spyderco's
5. Probably about 12-18 pieces per year.

Silver collector:

1. Receives all new models (as listed above).
2. Receives models limited in total production numbers: Sprints, sets
(Kopa, Mule Team, Swick, etc.)
3. Does not include Sage series or any models that does not have a limit to
total production numbers.
4. Probably 18 to 28 pieces per year.

Gold collector:

1. Receives all new models and all variations. Includes all; colors, materials, edge variations, trainers, Sprints, sets, (Mule Teams, Kopa's, etc.).
2. Probably 30 to 50 pieces pe year.

General for all collector club members;

1. All pieces will be engraved with collector's number.
2. Numbered collectors will be shipped first.
3. Models will not be held back. They ship when ready.
4. No sharpeners will be numbered
5. Byrds will not be numbered.

While we feel it is difficult to competely please everyone, we believe this will work better than the current system.

Again, thanx much for your participation, interest and loyalty. Please share your thoughts.

sal
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Since I am geographically too far away from the action to be able to participate in the club, I'll leave the more sophisticated comments on the people that are actually concerned about it, but

the only thing that immediately struck me is that the Sage series should be included for "silver" collectors. Sure, the model stays the same, but differing materials and - more important - different LOCK MECHANISMS make the various Sages so discriminative that I think they should be already available for the "middle class" of collectors, not only for the "Top Gun". That's at least what I would wish if I would enter the program (as one of the middle class collectors, that is ;) ).

The other rules, especially
3. The main collector piece is a plain edge.

1. All pieces will be engraved with collector's number.
2. Numbered collectors will be shipped first.
3. Models will not be held back. They ship when ready.
4. No sharpeners will be numbered
5. Byrds will not be numbered.
seem to summarize all what most of the participants of this discussion wanted, so I think most of them will be happy with it.

Maybe I'll get (and use) a greencard sometime, and guess what I'll join first when that happens :D

Dennis
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal, it sounds much better than the current system to me. I suspect most of us realize there are three "stakeholder" groups involved here, Spyderco, the dealers handling the accounts, and the collectors and that no system is going to be ideal for all three.

The only suggestion I would add, which you may very well have already incorporated, is that knives in the "2. A design sequence number is a new model; Manix2, Delica4, etc." category then be given plain CC numbers. That would, IMHO, fit better with the logic of considering them as new models.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Murdoc wrote:the only thing that immediately struck me is that the Sage series should be included for "silver" collectors. Sure, the model stays the same, but differing materials and - more important - different LOCK MECHANISMS make the various Sages so discriminative that I think they should be already available for the "middle class" of collectors, not only for the "Top Gun". That's at least what I would wish if I would enter the program (as one of the middle class collectors, that is ;) ).
Dennis, I almost posted the same thought. Then it struck me that, once you open that door, when do you close it? Or, more precisely who do you close it on? You and I might want the Sages, another group might want the steel variants of Military instead, yet another group all the Micro Dyads in preference to either of the other two.

Nothing says we can't just purchase the Sages as they come out.
Paul
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Sal,

I want to say thank you for trying to help us out as we are a small and insignifcant group of the overall sales. I would like to thank you for taking the time to hit us up with the ideas that are running around at Spyderco. May I ask though when this will be implemented? I am still eagerly awaiting my #120 Manix S90v.

If I read this correctly the only way to truly have all the manix's including the larger one to be brought out soon is to be a gold member. Is this true? Like the Military's.. The only way to get the variations on the Millies would be to be a gold member? And also all "Sets" like Kopas would now be required?

Thanks for your time Sal,
Sincerely,
Ron #120
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Hi Sal, you guys are amazing. The reconfiguration of the CC looks like there is a size to fit everyone. I would probably take silver, since I love the Kopas and already get the mules. (#42)
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

The Deacon wrote:Dennis, I almost posted the same thought. Then it struck me that, once you open that door, when do you close it? Or, more precisely who do you close it on? You and I might want the Sages, another group might want the steel variants of Military instead, yet another group all the Micro Dyads in preference to either of the other two.

Nothing says we can't just purchase the Sages as they come out.
Paul, that's of course, as always, the main problem: where to draw the line?
The reason why I am on the fence with the Sages is that it is basically the same situation as with i.e. the Manix 83mm and the Manix2. Same handle, but different lock. The steel changed there, but the handle material didn't. When we call it a draw between the importance of handle and blade material, we are on the same level of "difference". Granted, the Manix2 has the same number (C101) as the original, but it is the gen2, and as Sal stated: "A design sequence number is a new model", even for bronze members. The RIL Sage is (rightly so) called the Sage 2, so I think it deserves to be seen as such a design sequence number.
The Military line doesn't change that much, and they aren't divided into different gen's just because of handle color, steel or handle material.

All that said, you are still right, it is almost impossible to satisfy all collectors, let alone the other parties involved here. Since I know Sal is a really wise man (looking forward to meet him again next year) and wants only the best for his most loyal CC customers, I am sure this will work out well whatever the final decision will be.

Dennis
westfork

Post by westfork »

Sal,
Your proposal in progress sounds promising. I especially like that the plain edged knife will be the main collector's piece and that the collector pieces will be shipped first. Also, the silver option with the main pieces and sprint runs is very appealing.
Thanks for striving towards an improvement.
Lloyd
anti-torsion

Post by anti-torsion »

Sal,
That sounds like a great way to lay it out and should cover *most* concerns. I want some new models but mostly sprints, so an option with just sprints would appeal most to me. I am a proud support of Spyderco and things like this really show how much you guys care about the community.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Me likey.

How about escalating SFO discounts for members? Say 5, 10, 15% for bronze, silver and gold respectively? :)
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

But a CC where I ONLY got sent the latest knives of a particular model ...
Another possibility might be model specific memberships. Spyderco seems to have selected the Military, Delica, and Endura as test beds. The UKPK appears headed in that direction as well. Allow someone to sign up just for all the variants of one of them. Any future "series" along the lines of the Kopa would be a natural for that type arrangement as well. Perhaps some logical "family group" memberships may be worth considering, such as collaboration models, framelocks, or perhaps FRN handles.
I wish I could also sign up for all variants of some models, like the Kopa.
Sal, any thoughts on these ideas?

Basically a Model-only version of the CC? Or possibly, A Type-only version, IE, Hawkbills-only, Save and Serve style knives-only, Ethnic knives-only, etc.?

Again, this may not be feasible from your point-of-view, I don't know.
15 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14PBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE
Imprezed

Post by Imprezed »

The format looks a lot better but it still isn't for me. If there was a level that offered only Sprint run models I would sign right now.
The problem is that there isn't anything special about the production knives that would deter me from waiting and buying them when they reach the cheapest price.

Good luck and thank you for amazing knives.
Kelly

Post by Kelly »

Hi Everyone,
You've probably seen my name mentioned a time or two here - not sure if that's good or bad :) . I'm Kelly Williams the Sales Manager. I'd like to first thank all of you for all of your support and let you know that we really do appreciate our collectors!

Usually, Sal and TazKristi post here for discussions and information but since I implemented changes to the program that created some of these issues, I felt like I should get more involved.

I wanted to see what all of you think about a 4th kind of "add-on" option. Sometimes we introduce products that are sold through our Factory Outlet Store only and not through our regular dealers. I get the impression that there may be some collectors that if they were given the option would not purchase those items (for various reasons).

For example, the Mule Team. This would fall in the Silver category that Sal explained because it is limited production, however, we require that these are purchased through SFO rather than your regular dealer so I would propose that as an "add-on" option, a collector could choose to opt out of any SFO direct only purchases. This would allow you to participate in any level (Bronze, Silver, or Gold) and just exclude SFO direct only purchases (assuming that these would be sold at our established MSRP through SFO only).

Thanks for your input!
Kelly
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hi Kelly, thanks for chiming in.

Interesting idea. I can honestly say there are some "SFO Exclusives" I would definitely purchase, like the Forum Native. There are others I have, at best, a limited interest in, like the Mules. There may also be another case, like the Swick, where I'd purchase something for a friend which I have no interest in myself. I'm interpreting your suggestion as an "all or none" option, and if that assumption is correct, I'd probably opt out and take my chances on being quick enough on the trigger to get the ones I do want.
Paul
rodd

Post by rodd »

Come on folks lets not let this subject die........are bronze, silver or gold??
Do you have other suggestions to add ?
Lets let Sal know that his club members are interested.

Thanks
Rod
sal

Post by sal »

Kelly is working out the details. She'll probably add a special category for those just interested in "Sprints".

sal
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

It's great to see you on the forum Kelly. I hope you and yours are well!

Sincerely,

Doug
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
anti-torsion

Post by anti-torsion »

I am very much looking forward to the new CC layout...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

sal wrote:Kelly is working out the details. She'll probably add a special category for those just interested in "Sprints".

sal
Have to admit I have deeply mixed feelings about that one. On the one hand, I know there are there are those here who would deeply appreciate the ability to have such a membership, and use it as intended. On the other, given that almost all of the recent Sprints have sold well and quickly, I believe it's a good bet there are also those who would view it as a money making opportunity and abuse it.
Paul