Has Spyderco Abandoned the Collectors Club?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
markg

Post by markg »

JspyEDC wrote:the new model only membership is not. But we still hear .."Oh my God, I have to buy a Jumpmaster? I don't jump out of planes!"
In general that is true... However I was in the club when I had to get the Forrester (at $300+ dollars) and and I think another knife was shipped with it.

That was a big ouch in the wallet. But yes, I do agree with you for the most part... The basic plan is pretty reasonable.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

npueppke wrote:What is the appeal of the collectors club other than having every knife engraved with a number? I could see a slight appeal if you get the knives earlier than everyone else, but it seems rather pointless otherwise... if you aren't interested in the engraving, you might as well just buy the knives you want, then, instead of being committed to buy every knife.
That's one of the questions I hope this thread will shed some light on. I think it's safe to say that, as with pretty much everything, the "what" will not be the same for all the members. We've determined rather quickly, and not terribly surprisingly, that some consider the engraved number on each knife to be a major part of the attraction.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Good thread; it is making me re-think the whole CC idea. When Spyderco changed their policy on allowing all variant members to opt out of certain offerings and choose either all or main models, I chose main only. So there are lots of "42V" knives out there in Spydieland. Since I do not "own" my number, does that dilute the worth of my collection either to me personally or in the marketplace? Do the numbers really mean anything at all? Maybe all I really want is to be assured of getting in on limited deals like proof runs or sprints.
rycen

Post by rycen »

The collector numbers dont increase the value at all unless maybe you had a complete set of a certain model.If then the increase would be minimal.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

freeman7 wrote:Good thread; it is making me re-think the whole CC idea. When Spyderco changed their policy on allowing all variant members to opt out of certain offerings and choose either all or main models, I chose main only. So there are lots of "42V" knives out there in Spydieland. Since I do not "own" my number, does that dilute the worth of my collection either to me personally or in the marketplace? Do the numbers really mean anything at all? Maybe all I really want is to be assured of getting in on limited deals like proof runs or sprints.
As I understand it, the only knives that get numbered are the ones for numbers currently "owned" by someone. So, assuming I have it right, once you opted for "main only", there should have been no more variants engraved with 042V. I believe that's true for "main" models as well. Again assuming I'm correct, if you were to leave the club there would be no 042 knives at all, unless and until someone else picked up the number.
rycen wrote:The collector numbers dont increase the value at all unless maybe you had a complete set of a certain model.If then the increase would be minimal.
I'd say in general that's correct, Ryan.

But, like most perception based values, there will be exceptions. A few folks will think it adds value by making the knife a member of a limited sub-set of a the larger production run. There are also a few who will see it as a "serial number" which makes proving ownership easier. And, of course, there are others who will simply view it as another bit of **** writing on the blade and pass on the knife and those who'd rather not have something that could be proven to belong to them.
Paul
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Well, it does make sense that Spyderco would not want to spend the time (money) engraving a bunch of knives that are going into the mainstream. My misconception stems from the "old" days when we had the opt-out option. Then all knives were engraved and the refused variants went out to dealers as regular product. Thanks for jogging my thinking back to the present.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

I've been thinking that the CC should allow for a member to buy all new and variations of knives as a single design, rather than as all configurations. By this I mean that an "all variants" collector would commit to buying each model (new SKU) produced in the primary edge selected (PE, SE, CE).

This would allow the collector to get an appropriate example of new knives and evolutions of knife models, but not have to have multiple blades with the exact same handle in all evolutions. That would reduce the numbered example previously posted by Deacon (6 main versus 43 all variations). This would help with sprints (e.g., updated collaboration models) & generations models (e.g., Endura, Delica, Manix) where it wasn't always clear when a "new only" collector would be receiving his numbered model.

The Kopa, Sage, & Mule projects would still be opt-in programs for those specific series for each respective collector.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Just thought of another CC peeve.

I wonder if it would be possible to issue numbered redesigned variants to the basic collector program. For example, if I was not the holder of #041 when the original Manix or Delica were produced, I would get a collctor piece when the Manix 2 or Delica 4 come out. I'd like that!
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I think your idea of "honoring" your number would involve too much work. I think the reason given by Spyderco for changing from their earlier opt-out of variations on a knife-by-knife basis was that it was too much work.
rodd

Post by rodd »

Some suggestions for you to consider:

1.Discontinue all variants as part of the collectors club. Only main knifes would be required to be purchased as part of the club. If a person wanted a variant or all variants they could arrange purchase from their dealer.

2.As today all members of the collectors club would have a number which would be engraved on the knife blade. Hold membership to 200 as today.

3.All members would pay annual dues of $40.00 per year.

4.Collectors Club knives would be shipped to dealers first. No excuses on this, even if you need a second part time engraver. This would make knives available to CC members first.

Rod
markg

Post by markg »

Why would we need to pony up $40 for the club? I have trouble seeing the reason for that.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

rodd wrote:1A. Discontinue all variants as part of the collectors club. Only main knifes would be required to be purchased as part of the club.
Might work if the "main" knife were changed to PE, (unless the majority of club members actually favor serrated). Depends a bit on how you envision your next idea would work.
rodd wrote:1B. If a person wanted a variant or all variants they could arrange purchase from their dealer.
If by that you mean they would get them with their number, and/or have preferred status, it sounds good, otherwise not so much.
rodd wrote:2. As today all members of the collectors club would have a number which would be engraved on the knife blade. Hold membership to 200 as today.
Why the limit? Not saying it's a bad idea, just curious as to your reasoning.
rodd wrote:3. All members would pay annual dues of $40.00 per year.
Can't speak for anyone else, but assuming that would guarantee #4, and that #1B includes at least "first refusal" on all variants, I'd go for it.
rodd wrote:4. Collectors Club knives would be shipped to dealers first. No excuses on this, even if you need a second part time engraver. This would make knives available to CC members first.
I would assume that's what the membership fee is intended to guarantee. Just not sure if the math would work for Spyderco. $8K isn;'t all that much, and that assumes all 200 slots would be filled.
Paul
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I would be glad to pay dues to get my numbered knife before the general release hits the streets. It would also be great to have a yearly CC knife, limited edition with your number on it. Say a Kiwi with special scales, or a Terzuola with a cool inlet done on the carbon fiber handle. Or maybe a special etch on the blade. That would bring an aura of collectability not present today. Might not be cheap, but CC members could opt to keep their knife or flip it on the bay.
rodd

Post by rodd »

MARKG
The $ I see for Spyderco to recoup some of the expense to get the CC members their knives first.

Deacon
You raise some good points. Before I go any further I would like to hear what Spyderco has to say or if they are even interested in the suggestions I listed.

Rod
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

rodd wrote:MARKG
The $ I see for Spyderco to recoup some of the expense to get the CC members their knives first.

Deacon
You raise some good points. Before I go any further I would like to hear what Spyderco has to say or if they are even interested in the suggestions I listed.

Rod
I think they are interested in this whole discussion per se, if I understand TazKristi's post correctly. So I'd think you should continue to think and write about your thoughts.... Unfortunately, I live in the wrong country and/or have some budget restrictions that keep me from getting a number in that club - for now. But that doesn't mean I am not listening ;) There are some interesting thoughts, like a special CC model and the change from the all variants/new model alternatives to something more variable and less $$$-intensive (since there are just to much models coming out every year to be affordable to ordinary people with ordinary salaries). I look forward to the results of this thread!

Dennis
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Murdoc wrote:I think they are interested in this whole discussion per se, if I understand TazKristi's post correctly. So I'd think you should continue to think and write about your thoughts....

Dennis
Exactly. They are listening and, I'm sure, are as or more interested in our reactions to each others ideas as they are to the ideas themselves. I think there's a fairly general agreement that the current system is "broken", in that it is not really serving any of the "stakeholders", Spyderco, the dealers, or the members, as well as it should. So, the more ideas we bounce off each other, the more opportunity they have to see what "we" might be happier with, and the more chance there will be one they feel can be refined into something which will work better for all the parties involved.
Paul
markg

Post by markg »

Well hearing some of the other other suggestions... And reflecting on some of the "flack" that came about over the orange Military... I think it is clear. The Collector's Club is just out of step with how the knives are made today. Sure in 1995, you "might" have 3 new models a year. OK, maybe 5-7. Today consider the sprints and new models... Is it really fair to hold up the whole company's sales because collector's knives have to make it out of the engraver first?

I say, make the club one you pay yearly dues to cover the time someone has to work to handle it... I say "end" the current club, have some big old "Last Collector's Club" marked knife. If you have been collecting to this point, you have a complete collection. In reality it might drive the value of all CC marked knives up. End the current club, and start a new one. Yearly dues, maybe a nice t-shirt... Then the club will be issued 4 special collector's knives each year. You are assured there are no more than 200 of them. Think of it as private issued sprints.

Not sure if that works for Spyderco, but at this point, I think it is model that fits.
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

Hey Markg,your ideas sound very good to me.
Collector #42
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

How about a whole new approach.

Make the CC club just as it is today. Leave it. But have the SFO run it, and sell them at 65% of MSRP to make it worthwhile. Then you could recieve a mass email stating which of the ones coming out into production are finishing up and opt-IN for those that you want as a variant collector. If you dont respond, you get nothing. The email could also include a way to pay for them. All of those would be numbered in your number and shipped before the dealers sets were shipped. At least then we would get them at the same time. Id rather be pricked a little each month, then have 2k worth of knives sitting where my dealer has to wait for me to sell off a kidney. This way Spyderco makes an Extra 15% off the knife itself, which would easily cover the income of another engraver, everyone gets only the ones they want, Spyderco Makes more money, we dont have to buy what we dont want, and everyone is happy?

Make it a 24 hour opt-IN time, to state which ones you are wanting and to pay for them. Make it a minimum of 25% a year of everything that is coming out to stay in the club. Or you have to pay 100 dollars a year to stay apart of the CC club.

Sincerely,
#120v
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

That sounds a lot like the way it was in the "old"CC except SFO was your dealer only if you opted for them to be. I still think I like the idea of a new CC for true limited edition knives.