Has Spyderco Abandoned the Collectors Club?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

SlideTechnik wrote:How does the current club work? And how much does it cost
You have to buy every knife in every variation about 2 months after it is released while your friends already have it and paid less then you will have to. It costs LOTS.....
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Another CC member here that is frustrated with the current status of the club operation. I've PM'd Paul on occasion to dicuss with him, and get another member's perspective (without knowing who all of the other CC members were).

I really can't add more to what other CC members have already said. It has crossed my mind frequently over the last year about pulling my membership too.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

I don't have any answers yet, but we're listening and we'll be talking quite a bit about this. We hear you, we do care about what you think and we appreciate your loyalty and support.

Beyond the logistical challenges, it's difficult to please everyone. We began spacing shipments out (which meant delaying models to Collectors that were being released) to help those who were overwhelmed by the number of models coming at one time or within a short period of time. Obviously, that has caused issues too.

So, for now, please continue to share your thoughts and suggestions. We're listening. I can't promise we can implement any of your ideas, but I can promise that you do matter and we want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for the thread Paul.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Thank you Kristi for listening and working to make sure the CC club stays in tact.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

TazKristi wrote: So, for now, please continue to share your thoughts and suggestions. We're listening. I can't promise we can implement any of your ideas, but I can promise that you do matter and we want to hear your thoughts.

Kristi
This is why I love Spyderco!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I know it's not really feasible, but it would be nice if there were some kind of Model-Collectors Club. Say for collectors of just one model, I.E., Police or Military or Natives or Rescues, etc. I know it would be more work, but it might sell more knives.

I have NO interest in joining the CC as it now stands. One, no way could I afford that. Two, why would I want to be obligated to buy a bunch of knives that I either don't like or just plain have no interest in? That whole "buy them just to sell them again" thing, just makes the whole idea a negative one to me.

But a CC where I ONLY got sent the latest knives of a particular model (in my case, the Native and the Rescue, but I'm biased, lol!), WOULD be of interest to me. If there was a certain OTHER knife that I wanted, I could buy it too, instead of spending unknown amounts (yes, I'm aware that some of you know exact amounts!) on unwanted knives.

All that money spent buying those knives could be used to buy knives you actually want to buy.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JspyEDC wrote:Again Paul, you are spot-on the pulse of rational Spyderco afi/CC issues. And again this is an issue where so many have "their" preferred way things should be done in Spydie-Land. And like you mentioned.. CC'ers also have many different motivations for being in the club... supposed first on the block with new stuff, a long term investment, and/or the ego motivation of "Hey, I am #xxx."

And there are options... All models including variations, only new models (ex. new Cxxx sku's only), and whether or not to add the 'KOPA' or 'MULE' option. Great thread Deacon as usual. For the record, I prefer CC'ers getting EVERYTHING first for many of the same reasons you mentioned.

I do not see an Emerson-like CC in the future. That is simply based upon the fact that Sal has never followed, he has always led this industry.

But I too sense frustration among my CC'ers... er those I have left. In my opinion, the economy has been the biggest hit to the CC. It has been difficult for most to make that huge payment to their dealer when 8 or 9 or 10 CC knives arrive at the same time.

As a dealer and a CC'er, of course I also have my own preferred way I wish Spyderco would handle this situation. But rather than relying completely on the varied opinions of the congregation, I think in the end, Spyderco does what's best for Spyderco. And in a tough economic time, can anyone blame them? (Think Orange Military.)

I visited Golden last week while on vacation, and the laser-engraving department was quite busy... with the one employee that handles that entire department. The whole factory seemed to be in super-sonic mode. I saw that as a very positive sign.
Jess, I agree, and hope my initial post did not give you the impression I was implying otherwise.

On the other hand, based on conversations with others, I knew I was not alone in thinking things had reached the point where some clarification and/or discussion as to the way the club will be handled in the future was needed. I'm sure the economy has been a factor for some, but I think you will agree that at least some of those who have recently left, and some of those who have at least contemplated leaving, have done so for out of annoyance and frustration with the way things are, rather than because of the economy.

Unlike additional production of the Orange Military, I honestly don't believe the Collectors Club's current structure and rules serve Spyderco's interests any better than they serve those of the members and those of the dealers handling the accounts. There are no winners here, it's a lose, lose, lose proposition.
TazKristi wrote:I don't have any answers yet, but we're listening and we'll be talking quite a bit about this. We hear you, we do care about what you think and we appreciate your loyalty and support.

Beyond the logistical challenges, it's difficult to please everyone. We began spacing shipments out (which meant delaying models to Collectors that were being released) to help those who were overwhelmed by the number of models coming at one time or within a short period of time. Obviously, that has caused issues too.

So, for now, please continue to share your thoughts and suggestions. We're listening. I can't promise we can implement any of your ideas, but I can promise that you do matter and we want to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for the thread Paul.

Kristi
Thanks for the reply, and for your understanding, Kristi.

Since you asked, here are a couple ideas. I realize logistic considerations may make one or both of them unfeasible from Spyderco's perspective.

I think the ideal solution would be to replace the existing setup with a two (or possibly three) tiered system something along the these lines:

Membership in the "lower tier" would require the purchase of a minimum of say 6 knives a year. The member could select from new models and new regular production variants. "Upper tier"/"Second tier" members would be required to purchase more knives annually, say 12 a year minimum. In exchange, Sprints and other special runs would be included in the knives they could select from. Perhaps have a third tier, with an even higher purchase requirement, say 20 knives per year, that would include Pilot Runs in the available selection.

Since Spyderco does know in advance what's coming even if the time frame is inexact, it should be possible in this day and age of instant worldwide communications to set up a system where each collector would receive a list on a quarterly basis. Each list would contain the knives Spyderco expected to release during the three month period starting two months from then. So, for example, around November 1st, you'd get a list of the knives anticipated in Jan, Feb, and March of the following year, make your picks, and submit it back. I could be wrong, but in this day and age I doubt that anyone who belongs to the club does not have internet access, so a two month lead time and one month response window should be more than sufficient.

I think a setup along those lines, if it could be done, would be very popular. It would remove a lot of the unpredictability of the current club, where nobody can say for certain what they need to budget for knives. For perspective, last year each "base model" member was expected to take 9 knives and each "all variant" member a whopping 46 knives. :eek: From Spyderco's perspective, it might give them a better idea of what their fans really like.

Another possibility might be model specific memberships. Spyderco seems to have selected the Military, Delica, and Endura as test beds. The UKPK appears headed in that direction as well. Allow someone to sign up just for all the variants of one of them. Any future "series" along the lines of the Kopa would be a natural for that type arrangement as well. Perhaps some logical "family group" memberships may be worth considering, such as collaboration models, framelocks, or perhaps FRN handles.

At the very least consider:
  • Changing the edge type for "base" models to PE unless no PE version is offered.
  • Giving Collectors Club members first refusal on the Pilots.
  • Allowing "all variant" members to "opt out" of specific models. Some love the "Military of the Month", others don't.
Thanks for giving these ideas consideration.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

I would like to add to Paul's great points above only the following:

Add a possibility for the collectors to decide if they want only folders or all.
I only collect Spyderco folding knives, and i believe i'm not the only one. Then i can buy the FB's i really want, like the Rock Salt, from a dealer.

Besides that, i would like to second Paul's suggestions.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

The Deacon wrote:Jess, I agree, and hope my initial post did not give you the impression I was implying otherwise.
No no, I got it.
The Deacon wrote:On the other hand, based on conversations with others, I knew I was not alone in thinking things had reached the point where some clarification and/or discussion as to the way the club will be handled in the future was needed. I'm sure the economy has been a factor for some, but I think you will agree that at least some of those who have recently left, and some of those who have at least contemplated leaving, have done so for out of annoyance and frustration with the way things are, rather than because of the economy.
No question the economy is not the only reason. Lots of factors and they are all touched upon here by you and other members and non-members.

As you mentioned logistics comes into play, (now and including possible changes to the CC) in a difficult-to-predict release/distribution time frame. I don't manufacture the product, but by golly when I get product, it always comes with an attached INVOICE. I want to move that product so I can pay that invoice as quickly as possible. Sometimes it's fast and easy, other times it is not... due to many factors.

I'm not privy to the percentage of Golden-made product v Seki/Taiwan/China production, but I can only surmise that when the knives ship into Golden from abroad, (60% of units branded Spyderco/Byrd...?) Spyderco also receives an attached invoice, therefore it is in their interest to move that product quickly, just as dealers/distributors need to. ****, I'm glad I just sell 'em. Spyderco makes a bunch, contracts with quality vendors to do same, then distributes them through their sales network, and then have to make the ELU/AFI's happy at the same time. Difficult to accomplish to everyone's satisfaction, including their own company goals/needs.

Like I said, I'm glad I just collect and sell...
Spyderco Collector #162
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Count me as another disgruntled CC member. I get very tired reading about the latest and greatest new Spyderco product over and over as I wait - sometimes months before I get them. Sometimes I think Sawyer's may be the problem, but clearly not the only problem.

I only get the primary new models, not all variants. I wish I could also sign up for all variants of some models, like the Kopa.

Still waiting on a Leafstorm. I don't know if I will be getting a Terzuola as there have been other "Terzuolas" in the past. It is hard to tell sometimes what is considered a new model and what isn't. What else has come out recently that I still don't have? :mad:

I still have not given up. :o
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spyderknut wrote:I only get the primary new models, not all variants. I wish I could also sign up for all variants of some models, like the Kopa.

Still waiting on a Leafstorm. I don't know if I will be getting a Terzuola as there have been other "Terzuolas" in the past. It is hard to tell sometimes what is considered a new model and what isn't. What else has come out recently that I still don't have? :mad:

I still have not given up. :o
Well a bit of good news anyway. If you haven't already been notified, you should be getting word on your Leafstorm and Terzuola, which is considered a new model, any day now.

I do agree the new/variant designations can sometimes be confusing. The general rule seems to be new model number = new model, new suffix on existing model number = variant. But I would not be surprised if there have been exceptions to that, both ways, just haven't had sufficient coffee yet this morning to recall them.

Also agree regarding base + "series" being a good option to consider. Am sure there are at least some who'd have signed up for base + Kopas and/or Sage variants if those options had been offered.
Paul
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

thedeacon wrote:From Spyderco's perspective, it might give them a better idea of what their fans really like.
I'd think, the Deacon's thoughts above would be quite valuable, assuming a decent sized club. It we would be like a mini pre market indicator of likely good sellers.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
catamount

Post by catamount »

I'm curious how important the numbers are to CC members? Engraving is one factor that causes delays. Would you be willing to give up the individual #s if it meant getting your knives faster?
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

catamount wrote:I'm curious how important the numbers are to CC members? Engraving is one factor that causes delays. Would you be willing to give up the individual #s if it meant getting your knives faster?
Huh? Then why bother? :confused:
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
MCM

Sprint Club.........

Post by MCM »

I looked into this a while back,,,,, Just too many FRN & serrated models I am not interested in.

How about a "Sprint Club"? I would jump on that!

SC rather than CC.

Again, it might just be me............

Just a suggestion. :)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

catamount wrote:I'm curious how important the numbers are to CC members? Engraving is one factor that causes delays. Would you be willing to give up the individual #s if it meant getting your knives faster?
Never thought of that Tom. Honestly, to me, the numbers only really "matter" in certain cases. On knives where there has been a series announced, like the Kopa, the concept of a "matched set" does have a certain appeal. A numbered knife also has some appeal if it's one I'm going to carry. While I've never lost a knife yet, I figure there's at least a marginally better chance of recovering on which you can positively identify. But, for most models, where there will only ever be one or two variants or there were variants made before I joined the club and which will never see pocket time, the numbers are of far less importance. For knives in the first category, the delay is less irritating, at least to me, so I'd really like to see the numbering of them continue. But, seeing as I carry a mix of numbered and plain knives anyway, not having a number on any future additions to my carry battery would not be a real problem.

Am sure opinions on this will be divided, but it's definitely an idea worth at least gauging the pulse of the Club's membership. Am enough of a realist to know that, while there is much dissatisfaction with the current situation, no "change" will ever be universally popular. Provenance as a Club knife could always be established, at least to some degree, by the letter, box label markings, and perhaps a printed card like those included with all the Kopas and the last couple Forum Knives.
Paul
markg

Post by markg »

They could just melt the number into the handle with a branding iron that would speed things up... ;)
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Uhm, the number makes it unique. Unique to you. If theres no number, then you are signing a contract to what? Make sure that Spyderco sells you every knife, just like you could do on your own? If they dropped the number, Id drop the Collector Club.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

What is the appeal of the collectors club other than having every knife engraved with a number? I could see a slight appeal if you get the knives earlier than everyone else, but it seems rather pointless otherwise... if you aren't interested in the engraving, you might as well just buy the knives you want, then, instead of being committed to buy every knife.
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

MCM wrote:I looked into this a while back,,,,, Just too many FRN & serrated models I am not interested in.

How about a "Sprint Club"? I would jump on that!

SC rather than CC.

Again, it might just be me............

Just a suggestion. :)
I think Sprint's are for us Forum members. I don't think Spyderco worries about sprints appealing to the afi's. Sprint's are almost like a reward for Forum members' constant suggestions, and them bamm.... there's your CF Dodo with a caged ball lock, or here's your Orange Military, or your FRN Spyderhawk. The CC is an affinity club for those that want to own most of the products that Spyderco makes, if not all of them. The variation membership is a major financial commitment, the new model only membership is not. But we still hear .."Oh my God, I have to buy a Jumpmaster? I don't jump out of planes!"

I would not be surprised if some future tweaking of the CC occurs. I think this thread has very adequately posted the notice.
Spyderco Collector #162