Endura / Delica - full flat FRN - need input

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Endura / Delica - full flat FRN - need input

Post by sal »

We're planning to make a change to a full flat grind on the Endura and Delica FRN models. We are concerned that the change to the grind could be received poorly by those that like grind lines and "stronger" saber grinds.

In order to test reacton without changing the current models, Eric would like to make some Endura and Delica models with full flat grinds (VG-10) but use some new colors to distinguish them from the current models. Odd colors that we've not used, maybe 3 or 4.

I know most of you ar afi's, but our interest is in what the "general" market might like.

I need your input on 3 or 4 colors with which to test these flat ground versions.

sal
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

I'd suggest some sort of a primary blue, gray, and brown.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Sounds like a great project. Hopefully the general public will buy into the advantages of a full flat grind. Would love to see that on a Delica and Endura with an FRN handle. As for colors, how about some sort of a primary blue, gray, and brown.
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
MCM

Post by MCM »

Dark Navy blue & Dark Maroon,
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
J-Na806

Post by J-Na806 »

1.Orange :D I want to see Endura and Delica in this color.Why not? :rolleyes:
2.Blue
3.??????
Endura Wave,Endura Gen2,Endura Gen4,ZDP-189,Trainer Wave,Endura Trainer,Pink Delica,White Delica,Delica ZDP-189,Delica Trainer Wave Numbered,Delica Gen4, Caly3 ZDP-189, Kris,Sage Numbered,Mule Team ZDP-189,(2) Black Yojimbo (1)Numbered, (1)Blue Yojimbo,(1)Spyker, (2)Karambit, Civilian CF Plain Edge Numbered , Massad Ayoob, Adventura, Centofante III ,LUM Chinese Folder ZDP-189,Lum Chinese Ti,PE Tenacious,SE Tenacious,CE Tenacious,OR Ladybug,(2) USN Endura,MJ Endura,(2) Milli M4, Milli T, P'kal
Phadreus

Post by Phadreus »

+1 On the grey. I think that would be a great color that doesn't attract alot of attention, but is still different.

Now ones that attract attention that I'd like to see are lime green, a lightish blue, and maybe that matte purple that the forum knife is using.

BTW Copilot! A big shoutout from Wall, SD to SuFu, SD!!!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Heck, you've already got purple mixed up for the Ladybugs. Shoot some in the E4 and D4 molds and send 'em out to me. ;)

I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help, everything I can think of is close to something you've already used. :o
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
phaust

Post by phaust »

In html color codes, #8a0000 (deep red), #c85500 (sandy orange), #883300 (brown), #556600 (drab green). I think the first two appeal to general users, and the second two (and sandy orange to a lesser extent) appeal to hunting/outdoorsmen users. (Throw them in "HTML code" here to see: http://www.allprofitallfree.com/color-wheel2.html.)

I like the first two because they stand out without being bright and garish.
supmonkeyface

Post by supmonkeyface »

some sort of polished-looking black/green color thats on the hossom handles. Only in FRN. And maybe a deep, bright-ish red.
T-Mag (awesome), PE Endura Wave, PE FRN Dragonfly, SE Delica4 FG, PE Manix FG, Lava, Swick-(2009), SE Blue Do-Do, Karambit, SE Para-Military, SE Micarta Spot, Bug, Hossom Forester, 2009 Forum Native, Spyderhawk Salt SE
MCM

Post by MCM »

Lighter colors of FRN seem to get / look dirty after being carried for a while. Even when clean.....
So, dark works for me.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
uncle edge

Post by uncle edge »

1- bright orange
2- rescue yellow
3- the same blue used on the 93mm rescue
4- same Toxic green from the USN E4

These FFG Enduras will be awesome, can`t wait to add to my E4 user rotation of 7 already. I will admit my FFG FG G10 E4 rides with me the most.....

Cheers,
Dave
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Dark brown works for me.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

1. Dark Blue/Night Blue
2. Orange
3. Light Blue
4. Teal

FFG Endura/Delica would be amazing as production.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Lime green, Dodo blue, maroon.

Hey, is there any way to swirl some white in with the colors and make it look kinda like those Life Savers suckers? That would be the sweetness.
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

I'm a fan of bright colors just for the novelty of it. I'd think the general market prefers earth tones and black because they are less eye catching.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Sal, as I posted earlier, I'd love to see a nice silvery grey. I think it's very universal and will look nice with the blade steel and polished parts.

Also, I think it might be wise of Spyderco to look at the color trends in cell phones. They're the most ubiquitous personal accessory now, and if you're aiming at non Afi's, it might be a good place to start.

I'd suggest:

Grey
Dark Red
Sky Blue
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I agree with suggestion of more neutral, muted colors. The masses are a kind of grey/brown/dusty blue group ;) But, I would think that Spyderco's experience with the various colors of Ladybugs should indicate the salability of specific colors. Do you keep any records on sale figures for different colored Ladybugs?

Also for what it's worth, I like having the Delica and Endura as the workhorses in the stable. It's a nice option, giving the public a knife that can take a beating. (or at least that my impression, I don't know what the warranty numbers look like for the various models) Personally, I think the pendulum might be swinging a little too far to having FFG on all of the models.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

gray
dark maroon as mentioned
orange

should i just place my order for all three variants now? :D guess its time to make room for another drawer for the ever expanding endura collection for me :D :D :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

Olive Drab
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Sal,

First off thanks for asking for our input.

I think that the following colors would be very nice.
Attachments
Possible Colors.png
Possible Colors.png (4.8 KiB) Viewed 5183 times
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford