New model announcements - "Persistence"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Does the persistence show less when clipped to the pocket in tip-up carry? It looks like it would from the pics.
BeefTips

Post by BeefTips »

I'm not sure because I stripped one of the screws trying to remove the clip. It does look like it should show less. I think it would be comfortable to carry tip-up, hopefully I can get it set up like that eventually.
cosmo7809

Post by cosmo7809 »

Got home from work tonight and had a UPS box waiting for me. :D

First impressions is I really do like the size. I no longer have a tenacious but I do think that the scales are smaller than the original.

I tried to adjust the pivot screw but I do not think its torx... Seems more of a hex to me.

As with any spyder its a very well built knife and for 30 bucks you cannot pass it up might buy another down the line.

Pictures to come tomorrow

Edit: Hex fits a **** of a lot better...
angusW

Post by angusW »

Just put my order in for one. Can't wait. FYI Canadians, S&R has them.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The Deacon wrote:But the alternate argument would be, aside from legal issues, why carry a 3" blade that takes up 4.5" in your pocket when you can carry a 3.5" blade in a package which takes up the same amount of room. To me, that just seems inefficient.

There's also the esthetic. I know you believe "tractors don't have to look like Ferraris". However, some folks do appreciate line and proportion, even in farm equipment. ;) So, if I'm going to carry a 3" blade, I'd like the handle to be proportionate.
+1,000,000
These words sum up exactly what I was thinking. I don't know many people who can get 4 fingers on a Ladybug, so should the Ladybug have a Military handle, for those who prefer the Ladybug blade length? (I know that is an extremely exaggerated analogy, I just used it so people will understand what I'm getting at.)
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

cosmo7809 wrote:Could not wait for my other favorite place to stock them so I had to get one there!

Cant wait!

Thanks
ordered one from knifecenter, too. plus four other :spyder: and a Byrd.
actually, I only wanted the Persistence, but... does that sound familiar? :D

there is no Byrd icon yet, by the way!

skatenut
STi

Post by STi »

I got mine today..Here are a few pics.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Hello everyone, I'm a long time Spyder fan but first time poster. I carried various Spydercos exclusively until a few years ago when I tried a BM with the Axis lock and, sadly, found a knife that just worked better for my EDC usage. But throughout the last three years, I've been occasionally checking in on my preferred company in hopes that they would release another design I'd like to buy, so I can go back to supporting a more deserving company. Now, finally, they've brought me back with the release of the Manix 2, which I'm looking forward to ordering as soon as I can. But in the meantime, I've been anxiously awaiting a second new model that caught my fancy as soon as I heard about it: the Persistence!

So that's my intro, now on to why I'm in this thread; my Persistence arrived from Fenix Outfitters today! My first impressions are very positive so far; the build is solid, the lockup has no play (a surprise, to me, in a liner lock; it's as solid as my Native), and the size feels just right. Only negatives I've noticed so far are that the lock liner doesn't engage very far across the tang and it didn't arrive terribly sharp.

Anyway, I wanted to snap a few photos to maybe help others who are trying to get an idea of the size of this knife. I tossed them up on Picasa, just click the photo for the full album, which allows zooming:

Thank you, Spyderco, for making such a nice knife at an incredible price!
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Great review and pic's, welcome back to Spyderhome :spyder: :p
dc
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

SaturnNyne wrote: Only negatives I've noticed so far are that the lock liner doesn't engage very far across the tang
That's a bad thing? Typically, you want it to be pretty close to the edge starting out from new, so as it wears it has plenty of room to move across the width of the tang.

Agreed on the sharpness; mine wasn't quite as sharp as I'm accustomed to right out of the box.

Edited to add: Clip screws are 1/16" HEX (Allen) NOT Torx (six-pointed/star shaped tool)
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Well I got mine today and I must say I'm impressed.

I agree it wasnt very sharp. That's ok for me because I usually resharpen my knives when I get them new before I ever use them. but after a very quick run through my dmt and strop it's hair popping sharp. And it only took about a quarter of the time I'm used to to get a knife that sharp.

I'm usually a framelock guy but the liner on this seems very sturdy.

I think this knife must be one of the best bargains if not the best bargain out there.I can't wait to use the **** out of this knife!
Never mistake kindness for weakness.
[digidude]

Post by [digidude] »

Can't wait till my local store has them.
raven

Post by raven »

Hey All, I just received my Persistence from Fenix Outfitters yesterday ...reminds me a bit of the Lil Temperance. I really like this design and like I mentioned before been waiting for it since the Blade Show.

Solid design, smooth opening, strong lock up, mine is fairly sharp, and has a bit of heft to it ... which I like in a folder. Comfortable in hand with plenty of handle room for a solid grip during hard use. G-10 is grippy (not overly grippy, but just right ...IMO ;) ) and won't go anywhere if the hands get a bit wet. Easy to use with the gloves I have as an LEO.

Of course I changed the clip for tip-up carry and this is where I got a bit curious since someone had mentioned that the T-6 torx didn't work for them. I did use the T-6 to loosen up the clip screws and didn't have any issues. The T-8 torx worked perfectly to adjust the pivot screw. I decided to take a look at the screw construction with a magnifying glass ... sure enough the screws in the Persistence I have are allen screws??? Not clear if this design was to be torx or allen??? In the past I have used a Torx to tighten an allen screw with no problems ...the torx sometimes grab the edges of the allen a bit better. Either way I like the design ... My Persistence has a bit of verticle play, but I can live with it ;) .

Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Thanks Raven for the review,at least 3 more weeks before our dealer receives his order. Re the clip screws,what do you suggest, I use torx or allen to remove the clip? In case there on super tight, I want to use the right driver from the start. :)
dc
raven

Post by raven »

Hi Dave, I used the torx assuming the screws torx before finding out they were allen. I'd suggest using the proper drive. I tried the standard allen wrench and it fit pretty snug. If you have both metric and standard ...try both to see which is the better fit. Hope this helps a bit. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Thanks raven will do :spyder:
dc
amen74

Post by amen74 »

dc50 wrote:Thanks raven will do :spyder:
What's up buddy? Good to see you over here! :D ;)
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
dc50

Post by dc50 »

amen74 wrote:What's up buddy? Good to see you over here! :D ;)
Hey Aaron, oh I'm just going from house to house,to see whats kicking,sure like the looks of this little user. :D
dc
amen74

Post by amen74 »

dc50 wrote:Hey Aaron, oh I'm just going from house to house,to see whats kicking,sure like the looks of this little user. :D
I definitely need to get one myself. See you around. :)
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
tap

Post by tap »

sal wrote:plain edge only.

sal
From EDGE-U-CATION, Why does Spyderco manufacture Spyderedge (serrated) blades? Is this shop destroying too many blades trying to put serrations on? You can't make a serious work knife without serrations. Anywhere from 40 to 75% would make me very happy. I'll put them on myself if I have to, but few people are going to do that. Also, some info claims "Skeletonized steel liners tucked inside the handle,... without adding non-functional weight or bulkiness". I know it would have added time/labor/cost/shop equipment/possibly more errors and wasted material. Or was there a functional issue with nested liners?
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.