One step closer to an H1 Military ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kwakster

One step closer to an H1 Military ?

Post by kwakster »

Since the coming Warrior fixed blade model uses 4,0 mm thick H1, which was previously unavailable, should we also think of this as one step closer to an H1 Military ?
Maybe get Tom Krein into the project, so he can do his magic with the flat grinds ?

Someone else already suggested to make this one with a yellow G10 handle, and i couldn't agree more.

One PE & one SE please, you may want to write that down, :D
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Ooooh ! Yes please :D :p
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Sign me up for this one!!!
That would be my dream Spydie... Wish it'd come in FFG.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

One possible addition to my previous post; i would like the H1 blades to be stonewashed instead of satin finished.
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

I approve of this.
Sword of Morning

Post by Sword of Morning »

It would be a cool knife with H1. I have to wonder if it would be practical if you only changed the blade. One factor is the Military is made in the U.S., and H1 is made in Japan as far as I know. If the same rules apply, it would have to be produced in Japan.
Another thing to consider the environment that calls for H1 might require changes other than just the blade. Maybe some linerless handles, H1 hardware and titanium clip to go with it. I bet it would become a whole new knife to be a true Salt Military.
vic

Post by vic »

Sword of Morning wrote: Another thing to consider the environment that calls for H1 might require changes other than just the blade. Maybe some linerless handles, H1 hardware and titanium clip to go with it. I bet it would become a whole new knife to be a true Salt Military.
i don't own a military but aren't the handles in the military liner-less already apart from the liner lock? and isn't the lock titanium anyway?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

that would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome

an H1 mili would probably see more time in my pocket than any other knife spyderco could ever make.... :D :D :D :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think a larger H1 blade would be great (especially in Military design).

My only thought is that *many* Military fans might be more inclined towards say, S90V than H1 from an edge retention perspective. Essentially H1 will increase the cost a bit similar to the premium steels which have their own advantages.

Also, making a rust-proof frame lock could be done but would take a bit of thought. Titanium liners, etc.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I would buy one! a Yellow G10 would look really nice along with my Orange G10 Millie :D
Vic
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

clovisc wrote:that would be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome

an H1 mili would probably see more time in my pocket than any other knife spyderco could ever make.... :D :D :D :D
Blasphemy!!! What about the H1 Spyderhawk!!!!
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Sword of Morning

Post by Sword of Morning »

vic wrote:i don't own a military but aren't the handles in the military liner-less already apart from the liner lock? and isn't the lock titanium anyway?
They have small nested liners on each side. The liners and lock are steel last I checked.
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

An H1 military would be amazing (as would a H1 para... ;) ), but we should remember that the price of either would probably be north of $160.
".........I've been called an "enemy of the planet" for not living within walking distance of where I work and shop - by a guy with six kids! Needless to say he was a bit upset when I suggested he walk home and drown four or five of them."

-The Deacon
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

I'm in as well.The only thing is spyderco said they can't flat grind H1.I would still buy one if it had hallow ground blade,Deeply hollow ground like the manix 2.Plain edge and serated will do....But serated closer to the tip like pacific salt.
lerman

Post by lerman »

thats a GREAT idea i'm surprised i haven't thought of that before, i would definitely buy one (but keep it FFG)
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I'd be real keen on H1, as long as it was made available in SE.
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

I'm in for an H1 Military.
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

slice22358 wrote:Blasphemy!!! What about the H1 Spyderhawk!!!!
don't get me wrong... the H1 spyderhawk is going to see LOTS of use, and will be the ultimate hawkbill for anything and everything. but sometimes you need a non-hawk.

my chokwe prototype is a favorite companion as well, for reasons obvious to most folks here -- although i can't let the S30V near the ocean, water, or rainforest-levels of rain we get.

an H1 mili would be PERFECT, though. blade length, G10, awesome ergos, strength... plus WATER PROOF. i've been thinking/talking about how dreamy such a knife has been since i was in zambia... and even before, i believe... :D anything H1 + G10 would be extremely welcome.

or anything else in H1, for that matter.

i suggested an H1 goddard in a recent thread, thinking it was maybe a more viable option than an H1 mili, given spyderco's inability to flat grind H1.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
MLR

Post by MLR »

i'm in for one, but it i'd like to see a stronger detent on the h1 model. don't want it to slip open in swim trunks!
butch

Post by butch »

guess you could call it a seebee
i have seen yellow G10 for sale a few places
i Ti blade stop pin and Ti single liner with what ever pivot would hold up + ti clip would just about do it
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com