Please post pics of your Mule scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
catamount

Please post pics of your Mule scales

Post by catamount »

I got my ZDP-189 Mule today, and would like to see the different scales folks have made (or had made) for their Mules.

I'm especially interested in Tom Krein's work, as he is probably who I'll have make scales for mine.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I bought the S90V Mule for the express purpose of building my own scales. I've never tried anything like this before, but thanks to the couple of Mule tutorials on the forum, I got my first one done. I made some blanks out of cheap wood to practice on, adjusting the ergonomics on each one. After four prototypes, I had the shape down that best fit my hand and moved on to my real scales. This is my Mule with stabilized redwood scales. I haven't been able to get it buffed to as glossy as I'd like, but I'll keep working on it.
Attachments
Finished Mule.jpg
Finished Mule.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Good place to look might be here: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31531

But in the meantime here are two I recently finished. The CF one is on its way to Datan...errr Ozspyder The other is Black linen Micarta with a Sheath by Scott Gere.
Got 3 more with Scott right now... I'll post some photos when I get them back.

If you need a sheath! Scotts your man!! hands down, the guy does great work! I went to him cause I dont like making sheath's much, and I would much rather concentrate on making knives and handles then sheaths, but mostly his work is 100x's better than mine.

I have done so many mules that I forgot or was to lazy to photograph :(

Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23

Post by 5.56 »

Orange G10, hollow tubes, exposed tang.

Thanks to Tom Krein

-Rob

Knuckle dragger
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I have an M4 Mule that Tom Krein put beautiful Green Canvas Micarta handles with Black liners on with a tube in the rear. Great work, just like his customs. I just sent in my ZDP Mule to Tom today to get Brown Canvas over black liners. His Kydex work is great as well. I will post pics as soon as I can. I actually took a bunch of pictures when I sharpened it from original edge all the way to .05 micron, and was thinking of doing a little paper on how I sharpen knives with lots of pics. In the meanwhile I can at least post the pics of the handles to show you how Tom's Canvas Micarta looks.

Mike
gac

Post by gac »

I ran across this video last night. The guy made scales after gluing leather to a Mule. There are two other videos detailing the rest of the process.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tJNSnsv3weM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tJNSnsv3weM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Here ya go, this thread has quite a few of Tom's mules, mines in there as well. His work is outstanding I really like mine!

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36201
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

gac wrote:I ran across this video last night. The guy made scales after gluing leather to a Mule. There are two other videos detailing the rest of the process.
Interesting process, but I don't know if I'd use leather. First off, the edges of his knives look all ragged, as you can't really get the leather smooth once it's been sanded. Second, if it's going to be a user, the leather is going to soak up dirt and sweat, making it grimy and smelly. Washing it doesn't seem too practical as the leather would trap the water against the handle (potential rust issues?) and possibly stretch or shrink (I forget which way leather reacts to water). Lastly, and this is just a word of advice if you decide to make your own, I would keep the blade edge wrapped for the whole knife making process. With the way he is tossing those exposed edges around, I'm surprised he still has all his fingers! :eek:

*disclaimer - I've never worked with leather before, so my assumptions may be absolutely wrong. :D
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Tricod wrote:I have done so many mules that I forgot or was to lazy to photograph :(
Perhaps you may remember this one: :) :p

Jay
gac

Post by gac »

jabba359 wrote:Interesting process, but I don't know if I'd use leather. ... Lastly, and this is just a word of advice if you decide to make your own, I would keep the blade edge wrapped for the whole knife making process. With the way he is tossing those exposed edges around, I'm surprised he still has all his fingers! :eek:

*disclaimer - I've never worked with leather before, so my assumptions may be absolutely wrong. :D

At one point he picks up one of those ZDP Mules with his fingers against the edge. He is lucky he didn't get a nice slice across his finger pad.

I'd much rather use wood. I just never get around to ordering any. Maybe I can do that while I'm on vacation in Kansas.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

My first effort. Scales are made from Box Elder Burl. I'm going to start up another one sometime this summer as soon as the 'honeydo' list gets whittled down. :D
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Tom Krein

Post by Tom Krein »

Here are a couple I have done.... Getting ready to do about 15 more!! :eek:

Tom
Attachments
WIPMay2009XVI.jpg
WIPMay2009XVI.jpg (81.89 KiB) Viewed 2351 times
SpydercoMules.jpg
SpydercoMules.jpg (76.52 KiB) Viewed 2345 times
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Great work, Tom! I'll try to post the pics of my M4 you did today, I am really liking it and it has been on my belt all weekend. My ZDP Mule should be arriving in Gentry soon, I can't wait to see what it look. Like when you're done. I couldn't be happier with the Green Canvas and Kydex you did on my M4 Mule.

Mike
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

jabba359 wrote:Interesting process, but I don't know if I'd use leather. First off, the edges of his knives look all ragged, as you can't really get the leather smooth once it's been sanded. Second, if it's going to be a user, the leather is going to soak up dirt and sweat, making it grimy and smelly. Washing it doesn't seem too practical as the leather would trap the water against the handle (potential rust issues?) and possibly stretch or shrink (I forget which way leather reacts to water). Lastly, and this is just a word of advice if you decide to make your own, I would keep the blade edge wrapped for the whole knife making process. With the way he is tossing those exposed edges around, I'm surprised he still has all his fingers! :eek:

Soaking water etc is as well applicable to wood. This is why wood and leather need to be treated with - in this particular case with Carnauba + silica - it is shown on fourth video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUc3Jqp_tXA

BTW most produced and used military knife - KaBar has leather handle.

I use Mule 2 and Mule 3 all around house and backyard and have no any problem. I actually like leather because it is much lighter and warmer.

Thanks, Vassili.
anti-torsion

Mule

Post by anti-torsion »

Hey Guys,

Here is one I just did, first attempt at a Mule handle so they will just get better. Curly maple with stainless hardware.

nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Final results:

GoldFish - Queen of Ocean

FireBird

Thanks, Vassili.