My EDC knife for the next 5 months --Ongoing Review--

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

My EDC knife for the next 5 months --Ongoing Review--

Post by Fred Sanford »

Many months back I'm sure some of you remember that I ran a poll and asked what you thought I should carry for about 6 months as an EDC knife. Many thought that I should carry my UK Pen Knife for 6 months. Some things changed, my life got busy, and I sorta just got caught up in other knives, things, etc. I was carrying my orange UKPK today and I thought....."I'm gonna do this".

To make a VERY long story short, I was a dum dum and got a ticket a couple weeks ago. So even though I can thankfully pay the ticket and court costs (it was a LOT) it was just really stupid of me. So, I decided that I would limit myself to the knives I have and also not purchase any new knives (or trade or anything) until around Christmas time. I did sell off a handful of knives to pay the ticket because I don't think it should have come out of my family money because I was a dum dum. :)

So regardless I have decided to carry only my orange UK Pen Knife until at least Christmas. Making it my true "every day carry". I chose the orange one because I think it looks least like a weapon. If I were going to carry a knife as a weapon I wouldn't carry a bright one to call attention to it. I also love the blade of the UKPK and the fact that it has more of a finger choil than the Caly 3. Also, with the deep pocket wire clip it is not screaming "look right here at my pocket". I normally don't care about this but I will be carrying this not only at home and outside of work, but also in the office that I work in (Hospital). I cannot carry my Paramilitary at work without people freaking out, and I don't want to have to deal with people going to my boss and making a huge deal out of my knife. Orange screams tool!

So I will continually post to this thread with pictures, and thoughts about the knife. It will not be babied and I'm hoping to have it nicely worn in by Christmas with some good war scars and character.

On a side note, I am starting to think that I may end up starting to just collect "Slip-Its" only. :)

And yes, this is the same knife that I modified the backspacer/spring on so that it would bury the tip of the blade a bit deeper into the handle when closed.

I am considering filing down the G10 on the right handed side of the knife at a slight angle to allow better access to the thumb hole. We'll see.

Here are some pics....

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
rkh

Post by rkh »

I am looking forward to your reviews carrying only the OUKPK. The Slipits have become my favorite Spydercos. I have an Orange and Black UKPK and a Green and Orange Urban. They have beat out my Caly3 in carbon Fiber and ZDP189 steel. I will get a Terzuola Slipit when comes out. The Slipits seem to meet all my needs and are so easily to open and close. Seem to be more user friendly than lock backs or liner locks.

RKH
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Sorry to hear about the ticket, David, that's always a bummer.

It'll be great to follow your experiences with the UKPK's long term performance in your everday home and work situations. I think if I had to carry just one Spydie long term and at work (office) as well as everywhere else, the orange UKPK would be one of my top 2 or 3 choices. I'm also interested to know if the opening and closing action changes markedly over time, and if the notch/detent stop when mid way through closing the blade, loosens up at all in the long term.

BTW, those are fantastic photos as usual. What camera set up do you use?

Cheers,
Doc
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

David, that stinks! I know how you feel, I just spent my CF Stretch II money on a $210 speeding ticket :eek: :mad: :o
After enlightenment, the laundry.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Tickets always suck :mad:

However I'm very anxious to know how it wil serve you until Christmas. ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
vito72

Post by vito72 »

What is one ticket??
I understood only its somth not so funny....
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Good idea, David! I'm looking forward to the follow-ups :D

I work in an office, and people there are weenies and just don't understand knives. So, I've been carrying the orange Urban. It works well, and the fun orange color isn't threatening.
casey

Post by casey »

vito72 wrote:What is one ticket??
I understood only its somth not so funny....
It's a fine for driving too fast or driving through a red light or something like that. I just got my first ticket in 15 years a couple weeks ago, so I can relate.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Good luck with the experiment. I've tried (and failed) couple of times. I just have too many that I really love carrying to stick with one.

RE: slippies... I get by fine with slipjoints when I carry them. I've got a few Case Trappers that get into my daily carry rotation regularly and I never feel that I lose anything because they don't lock.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

mrappraisit wrote:David, that stinks! I know how you feel, I just spent my CF Stretch II money on a $210 speeding ticket :eek: :mad: :o
Well mine was $684.00 Weeeeee.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Got nailed with my first and (so far) only speeding ticket a little over 2 years ago... 101 in a 60, about $300. I'm trained as a courier so I know where I can and can't speed ;) Ghost cars stick out more than marked cars when you get used to watching for em.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
picobrain

Post by picobrain »

vampyrewolf wrote:... 101 in a 60

Is that kilometers/hour?
In many states in USA, it's automatic license suspension for over 100 miles/hour.

Condolence on your ticket David... had one in our family recently too.

Love that orange UKPK

peace
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Will be interested to see where you end up on this. I've been EDCing my UKPK for the KNP-friendliness - color and low ride clip for about a month now. Its all great for everyday stuff, but when I know Im going to be using my knife for serious stuff or at least 'pre-planned' work like opening a bunch of moving boxes, biking, etc., I prefer to carry a locking knife. I just want that extra security. Best example is when I mountain bike on some local trails with coyote and mountain lions, I take my Caly 3 SE. OK, I will admit the chances of me fighting off a lion is not good, but I certainly would not want the blade snapping closed on me if I did manage to get it out and take a few stabs (even w/ finger in UKPK choil..). My 2 cents.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

David Lowry wrote:Well mine was $684.00 Weeeeee.
What the heck were you doing there, David?? OUCH!

Well, anyway, although I'm really preferring the drop point over the orange leaf, they are both great and, barring fighting off mountain lions, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Right now (no tickets.... yet) I'm carrying the drop point pretty much exclusively...

Be well, my friend.

Ken
玉鋼
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Well $500 was for a lawyer. $184 was for court costs. I had a dum dum attack and on the way home on July 1st I was stopped going 123MPH on the Turnpike. Only because I was very very nice to the State Trooper and he felt like being nice to me, did he not tow my car, and take me to jail. It's a long story, and if you visit the USN you can see the full story there. :) That lawyer took care of things before my court date and saved my butt hardcore!!!

Thanks for the compliments on the pics.

I would like to get a drop point and swap the blade into an orange handle. :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

David Lowry wrote:Well $500 was for a lawyer. $184 was for court costs. I had a dum dum attack and on the way home on July 1st I was stopped going 123MPH on the Turnpike. ... That lawyer took care of things before my court date and saved my butt hardcore!!!
Dude! Seriously?? May I ask.... what were you thinking??

I think you got VERY lucky!

First lawyer story I ever heard work out.
David Lowry wrote:I would like to get a drop point and swap the blade into an orange handle. :)
Interesting idea. I honestly like the FG better so I don't think this is on my to do list. Love to see it if you do yours though.

Ken
玉鋼
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

picobrain wrote:Is that kilometers/hour?
In many states in USA, it's automatic license suspension for over 100 miles/hour.

Condolence on your ticket David... had one in our family recently too.

Love that orange UKPK

peace
That's km/hr in the frozen north. was mid month, early tuesday morning, and was the supervisor that gave me the ticket... wasn't some rookie trying to satisfy his ego. Polite, Honest and Professional... admitted my fault and was polite with him. Only got hit for the speed and not a dangerous driving hit on my license.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Doc Pyres wrote:...

BTW, those are fantastic photos as usual. What camera set up do you use?

Cheers,
Doc
Thanks Doc! I just use a Nikon Coolpix 4100. It's about 4 years old. I just turn on the Macro setting and I take the pictures under a lamp in my basement tool area that has a 150 watt bulb in it. :)

kbuzbee,

Like I said, I was being a dum dum! I started to put my foot down while listening to some Van Halen (Unchained) and thought "this is fun" and kept it down for a bit. :)

I will not be doing it again.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

David Lowry wrote:Well $500 was for a lawyer. $184 was for court costs. I had a dum dum attack and on the way home on July 1st I was stopped going 123MPH on the Turnpike. Only because I was very very nice to the State Trooper and he felt like being nice to me, did he not tow my car, and take me to jail. It's a long story, and if you visit the USN you can see the full story there. :) That lawyer took care of things before my court date and saved my butt hardcore!!!

Thanks for the compliments on the pics.

I would like to get a drop point and swap the blade into an orange handle. :)
What kind of car do you have? :D I feel for you, I've had my own share of lapses in judgement that cost a lot of money too. I got stopped doing 130km/hr in a 60km/hr zone one time, that cost me a pretty penny.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I roll a 2007 Honda Accord SE V6. It'll go 135 and then the fuel starts shutting off. I know this because I've run it full throttle on a set of rollers at a buddies shop (like what they use for a dyno). It was actually on a dyno not to see the horsepower just to go balls out for fun.

Like I said, I was really being dumb and I will not be doing it again. I've since watched about 30 vids on YouTube and other sites about speeding crashes and stuff and if I speed again it will be on the track. I have run my dad's car at the track to about 146MPH and even ridden in a car on a closed oval track up to 165. I don't need to be having my family sedan at anything over the speed limit.