Survey, What is you favorite carry knife and why

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hollar44

Survey, What is you favorite carry knife and why

Post by hollar44 »

Iam undecided.. I have tenatous a little on the big side and Cenafonte 3 not crazy about lockback like liners for one hand operation and I have a Byrd Crow coming partial serriated blade. mabee the right size?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well I ususally carry two. A Kiwi for fine, delicate work and for those times where the sensibilities of those with faint hearts and weak bladders must be considered. A Stretch for everything else. It provides a 3.5" blade in a very compact package which fits neatly in my back pocket and has, IMHO, the best ergonomics of any Spyderco ever made.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ControlsGuy

Post by ControlsGuy »

I usually carry at least two knives. A Stretch II RFP. I like the ergo's and the FFG. My tastes run to larger knives, 3.5" is the max I can legally carry here.

RRP I usually carry On Hand Open SAK Trekker. The tools are very useful. It the one I pull out around NKPs. It has a fairly large blade, but "Mam, it's only a Swiss Army".

For dress, I carry a Sage or Caly. For hard work, I carry a Tenacious. When I am away from the road, I carry an E4.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Last fall I sent Krein an Atlantic Salt. He reground it and reprofiled it to more of a wharny profile. The result is one of my all time favorite carry knives.

Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

EDC = UKPK (soon to be joined and probably ousted by the UKStretchPK :) )
Work (particulalry if I'm playing soldiers) = Tenacious
Hunting = Rotation of Stretch II, Impala, Ocelot, Wegner Jnr, Blade-Tech Wegner Hunter Lite or Blade-Tech Ganyana Lite (soon to be joined by the FRN Stretch), depending on what tickles my fancy on the day.
JimP

Post by JimP »

Recent EDC favorites have been either my UKPK or CF Caly. Perfect carry size and great steels.

WireEdge Roger wrote:Last fall I sent Krein an Atlantic Salt. He reground it and reprofiled it to more of a wharny profile. The result is one of my all time favorite carry knives.

Roger, have you found that the regrind has improved edge retention or changed the ease of sharpening of H1 through work hardening? That Atlantic Salt looks very nice, it is not a knife I would have ever though about getting until seeing what can be done with some mods :cool:
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I never thought that Atlantic would be such a favorite, but something about it is so useful and it's a big knife, but so flat and lightweight that it's a breeze to carry.

In all honestly, I haven't really used H1 as it comes from the factory, I usually send my knives straight to Tom. I will say with a thin flat grind, or hollow grind, they have excellent edge retention and are super easy to keep sharp. The edge retention is so much better than I would have imagined. I'm still impressed with H1, just about a perfect steel for my uses.
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

I carry a SS Endura 4 because it is a heavy beast. I like the weight, the blade length, and the durability of the steel handle. I feel like it is a well suited knife as a beater for the price. If I lost it I would be sad, but it would be easy to replace based on the price. It's steel handle is ideal for me because I am a rough guy who would probably have damaged anything short of a steel handle by now just carrying it in my pocket. There have been a few times where I banged something heavy off my hip, where my knife lives thinking my knife has surely been bent or damaged. When I take it out to inspect it, it does not even have a scratch. I would be worried about G-10 cracking or chipping.

It also has the extra benefit of being heavy enough to use as an impact tool if needed.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Spyderco Military (currently sporting CPM S90V blade steel) for light weight, full size, ergonomic, durable and reliable EDC needs solution. Since I like golf, I thought I would round out my EDC set with the others listed in my signature.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Favorite as in carry the most: Victorinox Compact in my left front pocket. Short of a custom SAK, it's the best blend of tools to size for me, and I almost always have it with me.

I rotate through various Spydercos in RFP, depending on where I'm going and what I'm doing. The Centofante 3, Rookie and Wings Slipit have been my favorite EDCs, but I have a feeling my new Lum Chinese is going to take over the top spot.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

1) P3 police VG10, PE
2) E4, ZDP 189 , PE

It's about a tossup. Someone throw a coin!

If the P3 had a ZDP blade it would be the clear number one.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
kingshoc

Post by kingshoc »

My EDC Knifes are

1. LIL Temp Leaf
2. LIL Temp Trailing Point
3. Adventura
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I don't have a favorite (or what I'd consider an EDC really)... I have favorite knives for varying reoccurring circumstances..... :rolleyes:

For instance - right now -

If I'm working in the yard - Tasman Salt SE. Prunes great and is an amazing weeder...

If I'm hanging out in the house (TV, on the computer... whatever) - Dodo PE, light weight, love the clip and the BBL and the small recurve blade does everything I need except food (and I don't use folders for food in non emergency situations)

Out and about, shopping, local travel, movie etc - Phoenix. Again, love the BBL and the Phoenix is just one top notch knife. Occasionally I'll swap out for the D2 Para just for variety.

And there's always something little on the keys. Forever it was a baby Goddard but right now it's an orange ladybug. A Ladybug Hawk would work well there. Or an FRN Cricket.

So that's the main round up these days. It changes over time....

Ken
玉鋼
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Been a while for me to post here :)

I'm in hi tech, so I'm usually with smaller blades at the office. Usually, it's been something like my G-10/D4 clipped, and my black UKPK loose, along with my FRN Dragonfly and "toys":-) Last week my Sage II came along with a foliage green UKPK, so those have been along for the ride.

This weekend, I'm doing reno stuff, so it'll be my Atlantic Salt and likely one of my beaters - D4/CE or Byrds
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I have a lot of knives I like a lot but I find myself reaching for my D4 more often than any other knife. I sent it in to Spyderco for some work a few weeks ago and was miserable until it came back.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Waco

Post by Waco »

My only Spyderco, my Endura. I wish I had one of these years ago. How much time have I wasted looking for kitchen knives, steak knives, utility knives, scissors, etc. when I can just carry one knife that cuts almost anything and holds an edge? I've thought about carrying something key-chain size for people who ask to borrow a knife and freak out when they see a "big" knife with a 3 1/2" blade.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

It's an old black handled, small holed, AUS 6 combo edged, Ladybug.
WHY ? Because I hardly even know its there & when it's out & cutting a lot of other folk still don't know it's there & I find that it handles most ED cutting.
O.
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Right now,Delica4 serrated and Leatherman Freestyle CX or Skeletool CX.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Right now Chinook 1 combo edge,ss Poliwog, or 80mm Manix combo edge. :)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I carry the Stretch 2 CF, Superhawk, a Kreined Barong, and usually my Caly 3 CF or Kreined Caly Jr ZDP. The Stretch is tremendous due to it's ergos and great blade and steel, the Superhawk is unreal with it's ergos and that FFG hawkbill really cuts, the Calys are great precision cutters, and the Kreined Barong is just something special. It really has a great blade after Tom works his magic on it, and the way the blade is canted forward in the nicely comfortable handle. The knife is light and just cuts like crazy. I never would have thought I would like the Barong, but after the blade was transformed into a Calypso like slicing machine in such a nice overall package (and I don't like liner locks) this knife is hard to resist. It really has to be used to appreciate just how good this knife is.

Mike