What knife do you carry when you don't have pockets?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dogrunner

What knife do you carry when you don't have pockets?

Post by dogrunner »

Of course you carry a knife, but what :confused: ?

The specific situations I am thinking are when I run or bike and have a waist band but no pockets. Other situation might be wearing sweat pants or something, also with no pockets. I'm also absolutely not interested in neck carry -too bouncy, hate having cords around my neck.

When I run I like to have a knife in case I need to cut something, naturally. Other than utility (cutting rope if dogs get tangled), one concern is for SD - I live in a mostly low risk environment that a time or two has become a little tense (rural but near a major highway).

To carry clipped to waist band, the knife has to be (1) light weight, (2) have a secure clip, (3) not be too uncomfortable or pokey, and (4) should not be corroded too readily by sweat.

The most obvious choice would be a small H1 folder - I have carried Salt I (lost that when it jumped ship during a bike ride) and currently carry Salt saver. I have also carried D3 or D4 a lot, with no problems with rust on VG10.

So why am I asking ?? Mostly just to see what anybody else does / has experience with.

I want something a little faster to deploy and maybe a little stronger than a lightweight folder. I have a waved D4 but I'm not sure carrying a waved folder in a waist band is a great idea. I was thinking maybe to carry a small fixed blade but don't have one with a clip. Was thinking of maybe Street Beat if it isn't too heavy, or Swick (I have one, it is light enough, but I don't really like the grip options). I also have a few other small fixed blades (3" blade, 4" handle size) but none have sheaths with a clip. Does anyone make a spring clip like on a folder that attaches to kydex with teklok holes ?

I was also thinking of maybe a little heavier duty folder (doesn't solve the deployment problem though). Maybe an endura (FRN handles are light) or one of the other Salts. Maybe that would that be too heavy / bulky ?

Anyway, just fishing for ideas. I'll probably stick to my d4 or saltsaver for now, but maybe somebody has other ideas?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

My bike shorts have cargo pockets and my Military is so light I don't know it's there. I also have a big SAK along with a bicycle multi-tool in my handlebar pack.

I haven't had any luck in comfortably carrying larger knives in my waistband but I'd bet that my dragonfly would work there.

PS: One reason I carry the Military is because there are sometimes mountain lion warnings on the bike trail. Not sure how much it would help but I'd rather have it than not.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Not my favorite carry but the few times I've needed it, my Tasman Salt carried well IWB that way. Great little knife that does about everything you're saying.

Don't think I'd like carrying any of my FBs that way (spring clip or not). Maybe with a 4 way harness strapped on the back? Heck, you could carry a Rock Salt that way! Now... That's a knife! :)

Best of luck,

Ken
玉鋼
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

This is easier in winter when the wind pants I wear have pockets and a belt! And I usually carry a small backpack. Not in summer though.

Bike options are a little better too bc of less bouncing. So running is the question.

Another option is to carry something on the belt of a fanny pack or hydration belt but I often don't use either (long runs in hot weather I wear the hydration belt).

Why no small fixed blades ? Too heavy / uncomfortable / unstable ?

... :confused:
DeltaWhiskey

Armband?

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

I will be honest...if I had to worry about carrying a knife while running... I just would'nt run :p

But I know that is not an option in this case so what about clipping one on those arm band dealios...I see people wearing all the time with thier I-pods and what not???

That's all I got :D
"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

DeltaWhiskey wrote:I will be honest...if I had to worry about carrying a knife while running... I just would'nt run :p

But I know that is not an option in this case so what about clipping one on those arm band dealios...I see people wearing all the time with thier I-pods and what not???

That's all I got :D
It's an interesting idea though. I've never worn one and don't know if it would stay in place but I've seen people wear them..
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Image usually one of these
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
Tank

Post by Tank »

All my shorts/pants have pockets so outside my home I haven't been in that situation.
-John
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

duff72 wrote:Image usually one of these
Where do you buy those?
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Lord vader wrote:Where do you buy those?
I make them
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

duff72 wrote:I make them
I will have to pm you about getting some. :)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Tank wrote:All my shorts/pants have pockets so outside my home I haven't been in that situation.
That would also be a solution - new running shorts! A knife clipped to pocket of windpants does not bother me, never tried this with shorts though (might flop around more ?)

Duff72 - those are cool looking sheaths and they probably work great, but I don't wear anything around my neck, especially while running - maybe my gait is not smooth enough :) .
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I usually have something on my neck (spur, millie, ss 'fly, ss police and bone kiwi rigs), though I have tucked the kris IWB in jogging pants a few times.

dogrunner: just get the kydex made tighter. That was my concern when I got the one done for my 'fly YEARS ago. It doesn't come out without a good pull, but at least it's not coming out without a good pull.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
genius5th

Post by genius5th »

if i dont have pockets usually goes on my belt or cliped to my shorts at the waist
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

If I dont have pockets or Im in athletic shorts that dont hold a knife too well in the pocket, (like it feels to heavy and it moves the shorts alot) I will carry any of my spyders with the clip inside my waistband and the knife outside, right next to my hip. not sure if you guys will understand lol..but I carry it on my side where say a gun holster would go, so its right at your side and doesnt jab you with the handle any way you move. Idk it works great for me though!! :)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

I was able to walk around the house last night with just boxer briefs and a SS Delica 4 attached to my waist band. It may look funny wearing just undies and a knife, but you never know when you might need it.
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

For IWB carry, I carry frontlocks due to the closing bias. I just don't care for the possibility of my Millie opening inside my pants. :eek: That said, I usually carry my SE Tasman in these scenarios.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I recently acquired a Delica 4 black FRN in CE as a running companion. Haven't gone out on the pavement with it as yet, but I figure I'd have it clipped to the waistband of my shorts.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

For me it is usually a D4 or a Salt I clipped IWB.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
tap

Post by tap »

I wouldn't leave the house without pockets. A cell phone would probably be more useful than a knife if things are "tense". How do you carry that? You go out without an ID? If you insist on not having pockets then some type of waist pack to carry everything would work.
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.