If you could create your dream Spydie.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kitman22

If you could create your dream Spydie.

Post by kitman22 »

Hi guys,

I have a number of Spyderco knives which I use and love :) . However I have been thinking if I could mix and match different elements from the vast number of Sydies to create my personal dream knife, what would I chose and for what reason.

So my dream Spyderco would combine the following parts.

1: The full flat ground, spear point blade from the Native 4. Just love this blade shape.
2: H1 blade steel. Rust proof blade which I have found to cope with all my daily task and sharpens up without too much trouble and to a nice edge. The fact that it wont rust is just great as I can use it without having to worry about cleaning off any excess water or juice, say off an apple ect.
3: G-10 scales. Great grip and durable (in yellow) Not much more needs to be said about G-10, just great stuff.
4: Legal slip joint feature (i.e. UKPK) Prob the most important part of this knife. Just needs to be legal in order for me to feel a little better about carrying it, should the law come into question. Also I think this feature makes the knife a lot more appealing to fellow knife users and would help from a sales point of view.

And thats it, maybe it could be called a Native Salt :D

If you could do the same thing, what would you create and consider your dream knife?
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Well, I haven't done one of these threads in a while. My dream knife would be pretty simple I think:

Blade from the Stretch II
Handle and CF from Stretch II, but with open construction
Compression Lock

Simple enough to make, no? :p
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

C83 Schempp Persian with full flat ground Odin's Eye Damasteel blade, 14mm Spyderhole, smooth (un-dented) lockbar, no clip, and either cocobolo, giraffe bone, or butterscotch micarta scales. The "stock" C83 already is, IMHO, extremely functional and the best looking knife I've ever seen. The changes I'd like would further refine functionality and make it even more appealing to my eyes.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
genius5th

police

Post by genius5th »

police with the dragonfly etched stainless steel handle and maybe a ball lock system from the d'allara
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Jumbo size super sturdy folder, bigger than the manix or all steel pacific salt or toxic green dodo
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Spyderwings wrote:Well, I haven't done one of these threads in a while. My dream knife would be pretty simple I think:

Blade from the Stretch II
Handle and CF from Stretch II, but with open construction
Compression Lock

Simple enough to make, no? :p
That looks pretty close to a Superhawk with a Stretch blade ;)
Make two of them, I am in.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Take the original C69 Lil' Temp.
Add 3/8" to the back(palm) of the handle.
Change 3" blade to 3 1/2" - same style.
Change scales to slightly rounded green micarta, narrow at bottom of handle.
Change to extra wide wire clip with indexing in micarta on both sides.
JimP

Post by JimP »

The perfect spydie for me would be the UKPK with nested liners and an axis lock.
But to keep it as a full Spyderco I would happily exchange the axis for a compression lock.
So Sal, when do we start production? :D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I still would love to see a Spyderco Fixed blade Sub-Hilt Fighter, 4.5" blade in D2, Burgandy Micarta slabs with Spyderbugs as pins....I'm getting a little carried away here :cool: .....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

D'Allara, Dodo, Phoenix style ball lock
CPM-M4 FFG 3" FFG blade (Stretch II shaped)
FG g-10 scales similar to the D2 Para
Barrel bearing on the pivot for extra smoothness
Low ride wire clip

Ken
玉鋼
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Generally I'm happy. I'd still love a Police 3 with ZDP though. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
alexvzin

Post by alexvzin »

At first, take Caly 3.
Enlarge it in 7/6 proportion (3.5" blade length, 0.14" or 3.5мм blade thickness, 4 3/4" handle lenght), + remove metal liners.
This will be absolute Endura killer.
Therefore it will never start to make. :(
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

The Mastiff wrote:Generally I'm happy. I'd still love a Police 3 with ZDP though. Joe
A Police 3 with a premium steel blade would be nice, indeed. Either ZDP or S90V would make it a real slicer. I'll buy one even if they decide to stick FG scales on it ;)
bh49

I have a few

Post by bh49 »

1. Caly4 (Kopa on a lot of steroids).
3.5" Caly's blade, but keep the same width (R2 has a good blade, but little too wide for my taste). Kopa style bolsters, jigged bone (micro-dyad color) or stag handle. No dent, no clip.
2. Baby Persian. (Persian of Kopa size.)
3. Shabaria with ivory micarta.
4. C83 Persian as is. (I even will not try to improve perfection).
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

Kitman22,

Boy, your fairly close to what I would like! If I could get a flat grind on my Pacific Salt that pretty much would do it for me. It's light, big enough, the right colour (yellow) and like you've said rust proof, swish it clean, snap it shut and away you go.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

They have already done much of my dream knives:
Smaller Military = Paramilitary
Smaller Manix = Mini
Flat ground Native
Smaller Sage = Cat
VG10 Stretch

I think a :
Calypso Jr in G10.
A full size Calypso in VG10.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
kitman22

Post by kitman22 »

Seanski wrote:Kitman22,

Boy, your fairly close to what I would like! If I could get a flat grind on my Pacific Salt that pretty much would do it for me. It's light, big enough, the right colour (yellow) and like you've said rust proof, swish it clean, snap it shut and away you go.
Exactly, it would be the perfect non fuss, get it done knife. The blade shape on the Pacific Salt would be fine for me too, I just prefer the Native spear point :D and for us U.K. guys a slip joint instead of a lock back/liner lock, just so that it would be less worry to carry.
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

Calypso. White Micarta. ZDP-189.
Do it baby, Do it. DO IT.
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

FFG choiled delica in black, nested liner g-10. S30V
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Titanium Framelock military with cpm-m4, m2 or even 1095 blade. I know they are coming with s30v and that will hold me over until there is some sort of supersteel sprint run. :D 1095 would keep costs down and its a great steel, I know its a problem for manufacturers as people tend to freak out about corrosion. Cpm-m4 would probably make the price of the Ti military to high for most of Spydercos customers so it will probably remain a dream.

Whats Sal's dream Spydie, being that he has so much input in the knives he makes, has he attained his dream Spydie or is it still in his head waiting for manufacture, or both?