This could be VERY bad news....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

ace wrote:20 years ago we all had folding hunters to serve as a tough, go-to knife for a wide range of outdoor activities. These had bigger blades than most tacticals today, and they were beefy as ****. Just not one handed opening--but not dangerous? come on! I could kill someone with a sharpened butter knife if I wanted!

Heck, a spoon thrust with a little force is enough to kill someone. I have wondered why they want to outlaw pocket knives when kitchen knives will still be legal. I am sure a large percentage of severe injuries and deaths from knives are caused by kitchen knives.

Post by 5.56 »

Scissors, ban them!

They have two blades, they're dangerous, and they're everywhere. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh and they're flickable, one handed opening and very balisong like.
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
diaBECKtic

Post by diaBECKtic »

TexSierra wrote:Heck, a spoon thrust with a little force is enough to kill someone. I have wondered why they want to outlaw pocket knives when kitchen knives will still be legal. I am sure a large percentage of severe injuries and deaths from knives are caused by kitchen knives.
If you try hard enough, anything is a weapon.

Just some food for thought :) .
whkento

Post by whkento »

TexSierra wrote: I am sure a large percentage of severe injuries and deaths from knives are caused by kitchen knives.
Just to add some perspective...

Here in Japan, kitchen knives are used all the time in assaults / murders. They seem to be the weapon of choice among violent criminals.

FWIW.
Merost

Post by Merost »

I am totally against most gun control laws, and would especially be against any laws prohibiting any type of knife, as are most of my co-workers. I have been working in municipal law enforcement for 12 years, and I can say I have never seen an honest citizen arrested for any type of weapons charge, to include guns or knives. Granted, AZ has very relaxed laws concerning firearms and other type of weapons.

Before they passed the federal law that law enforcement officers can carry their firearm in any state, I used to carry my pistol whenever I travelled, including gun-control-happy states, such as CA and most of the east coast. I never feared getting in trouble because I knew that as long as I wasn't doing something stupid (like holding up a liquor store) it wasn't going to be an issue.

I have arrested many people for weapons violations, but ALL of them were because the person was some scumbag drug dealer who carried a gun to protect his dope or to live the "gangsta" lifestyle.

The point of my story is don't presume the police are out to get you if you are carrying a auto knife in a state that forbids such a weapon, because they are not. Also, police don't make laws of any type, legislators (and lobbiers) do.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Welcome to the club then :rolleyes: :mad: :mad:

Well I guess it's no use for me to move to the States now anymore.....

I feel very sorry for you all, because I know the feeling :(
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder:Well, I'm impaitent, and too agressive when it comes to one of our first freedoms as human beings, so I will keep it respectfull :eek: ! I remember the first knife I got(my dad bought for me), and it was a SAK Tinker...I never missed an episode of Mcguyver(sorry if it's spelt wrong); Anyway...That started my interest in our oldest tool. So, if all these PATHETIC restrictions are goig to go in effect(I'm including our brothers'n sisters around the globe!), because they are "weapons"..."dangerous"..."they hurt, and kill people", etc...Than what are they going to do with cars, hand/lawn tools, belts, power tools, pens, combs, rope, wire, sticks, stones...I mean, I could go on!!! My point is, first, knives are TOOLS, and they don't hurt, or kill people...People hurt, and kill people, and I got more news for these people...Knives/TOOLS, are controlled by the human in controll!!! I wonder what they are trying to accomplish, because if it's the crime rate...I don't think anyone with violent intentions is going to care about laws, or restrictions, weather it's with a knife, or any of the above!!! Sorry if this was too much :o

John
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

One of our city councillers wanted to ban pocket knives in the city a while back. Apparently it wasn't a popular idea because myself and others wrote several letters to him and the local paper regarding what an idiot the man was. I find it amazing that people want to stop me from carrying my Lava when I have a Santoku knive with a 10" blade that is sharp enough to shave with, who can stop me from owning that, I could decapitate someone with one swing of that thing. I wrote to the council member and asked if he owned any kitchen knives or did he hack his meat up with a spoon? :)
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

So I wasn't the only one to write when that came up here.

Think I wrote in something to the effect of asking them to look into what was actually used, as I'd wager 80% of stabbings were screwdrivers and other objects, with 20% being knives and a SMALL chunk of that being anything other than kitchen knives. Homicide is usually with a kitchen knife from the victims own home.

I'd rather be threatened with a knife than any of the other easily legally obtained items such as bats and crowbars, never mind going into the camping section of any store and grabbing a hatchet. Or a sledge hammer.

I offer an open challenge to all these idiots.

If you can go through your normal day without using something that was cut or processed with a blade of any type, you win.

When they make knives illegal, call me a criminal.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

i dont see this going into effect.

but it still bothers me nonetheless.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

FLYBYU44 wrote: I wrote to the council member and asked if he owned any kitchen knives or did he hack his meat up with a spoon? :)
This reminds me of a favorite movie quote. From Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (Kevin Costner version):

Sheriff: "Locksley! I'm gonna cut your heart out with a spoon."

Sir Guy: "Why a spoon cousin? Why not a knife or an axe?"

Sheriff: "Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more!"

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Wow - I purchased my first SAK because of MacGyver. Always had it in my carry-on luggage just in case. Then came 9/11.
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

You know?... criminals will always find a gun or knife, no matter the laws, to use for evil and we peace-loving citizens will ALWAYS suffer for their idiocy. I repeat - CRIMINALS WILL ALWAYS FIND WHAT THEY NEED TO HARM OTHERS, REGARDLESS AS TO WHETHER IT'S ILLEGAL - NO MATTER THE LAWS, so why are we to suffer? They'll get what they want anyway, anyhow, so why do we suffer? "Against the law" does not matter to criminals, so why do we suffer? I love knives - I just want to cut food, whittle, cut boxes, wire, rope, plastic, or just admire my knife, so why do we suffer for another's evil? Tell me, "lawmakers".

- best wishes, Jazz.
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Jazz wrote:You know?... criminals will always find a gun or knife, no matter the laws, to use for evil and we peace-loving citizens will ALWAYS suffer for their idiocy. I repeat - CRIMINALS WILL ALWAYS FIND WHAT THEY NEED TO HARM OTHERS, REGARDLESS AS TO WHETHER IT'S ILLEGAL - NO MATTER THE LAWS, so why are we to suffer? They'll get what they want anyway, anyhow, so why do we suffer? "Against the law" does not matter to criminals, so why do we suffer? I love knives - I just want to cut food, whittle, cut boxes, wire, rope, plastic, or just admire my knife, so why do we suffer for another's evil? Tell me, "lawmakers".

- best wishes, Jazz.
Aint that the truth,we suffer because of the low life's Image
dc
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I think this is not really about knives at all, but about power, just as most of the laws that got rushed through in many countries after the tragedy of 9/11 were not about protecting their societies from terrorists, but about increasing the power of the respective countries' elites. As Jazz said, criminals never pay attention to laws and will always get what they think they need to carry out their crimes. So, knowing that these 'laws' have absolutely nothing to do with protecting society from criminals, they must therefore be about trying to convince us we have no true freedom and better just shut up and toe the line.

"The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from all the oligarchies of the past, in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just round the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power."
bh49

Post by bh49 »

It is time to do something about it

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38651
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian