Custom colours on FRN scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kitman22

Custom colours on FRN scales

Post by kitman22 »

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice on changing the colours of the FRN scales
on my Dragonfly. Has anyone done this before? Did you use a particular
paint? I was thinking of using general plastic paint, like you use on paint yourself model kits, would this work?

Thanks for any help and advice. :)
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I've seen luminescent "inlays" into the volcano pattern, but I can't remember a completely "painted" FRN handle. I am afraid though that the paint would flake off the FRN...

There are plenty colors as it is from Spyderco.... choose one :D (yeah, I know, it is always the wrong model and/or the wrong color available!)

Dennis
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Hi kitman and welcome to the forums! Here is a link to a color mod that was done to a dragonfly by one of our members, Jeff.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... +dragonfly

Hope this helps a bit.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
duff72

Post by duff72 »

that was dyed frn that started white
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
kitman22

Post by kitman22 »

Thanks for the response guys

Oh would even purpose made plastic paint flake off?, I know FRN isn't plastic,
or maybe spray paint? :confused:
The dyed dragonfly looks good but I guess I would need to have a white
FRN version to do so and the colour outcome wouldnt be for certain.
I'm a U.K. resident so my choices of colours are limited, its either black FRN or the steel versions lol.

I kinda expected the subject of colour customising FRN handles to be run over on the forums time and time again, considering most of us would like to add our own touch on our Spydies lol.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Most paint for "plastics" is intended for styrene. Styrene is minimally resistant to solvents, so the paint can etch it enough to bond well. Styrene is also relatively stiff, so there is minimal flexing to cause paint to peel. Nylon has the exact opposite characteristics. It is highly resistant to solvents, relatively flexible, and, if that were not enough, "slick" enough to be self lubricating. Makes it a bad choice for painting.

That said, and with the caveat that I've never tried it on a knife handle, the "best" paint for it would probably be Floquil, applied with an airbrush. It's a strong enough solvent to bond to nylon if applied correctly. No guarantees, but in the past I've used it with reasonable success on the nylon wheel sets, couplers, and handrails of model trains. However none of those were ever subject to the amount of handling that even a rarely used pocket knife would encounter.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kitman22

Post by kitman22 »

Wow thanks for the info mate.

Guess that kinda explains why there dosnt seem to be much colour customistaion on these and speakes alot for the quality of FRN thats used on these knives.