Advice Please... on Paramilitary Purchase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PsychGrad

Advice Please... on Paramilitary Purchase

Post by PsychGrad »

I've been eyeing the paramilitary for some time. I particularly like the PE digicamo with black blade. My only hesitation is the size. I've carried an almite navigator for years, but lately I find myself reaching for a Delica 4. I use my EDC everyday for small cutting chores around the house and at the office.

I've felt somewhat uncomforable in the past, carrying a large folder. Mainly due to the way non-knife people perceive the larger folders. I know this topic has come up many times here on the forums.

While I'm intrigued with the design of the paramillie, I don't want to purchase something that I won't get any use out of.

I appreciate any thoughts the forumites may have.

Thanks,
Clay
"It's not the critic who counts. The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Some of the problems encountered with non-knife people are a result of presentation. A fairly large knife like the Para is less of a problem when opened in a slow and controlled manner than a waved Delica snapping open on the quickdraw. I carry traditional slipjoints to use in front of potential NKP and a Military for real work. There are, of course, those who will panic over any sharp object at all, but they are hardly worth worrying about.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
keahi

para

Post by keahi »

The para is one of my favorite spydie designs. Love the ergos, the lock and the blade. Considering that you are worried about what non-knife think...I would stay away from the camo version. Although it is cool looking, I think non-knife people will associate it with the military and have a greater chance of associating it with a weapon.

Another thing to consider...the para clip design makes it ride high. Meaning it sticks out more out of your pocket or waistband than the delica. One advantage is that it is easy to pull. A disadvantage in your situation is that it might be more noticeable if not concealed with your shirt. I say get one. It's not that much larger than the delica :)
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

As long as you're not doing anything wrong, don't worry about what other people think. That said, I say get the Para and when EDC'ing it, deploy it deliberately and don't pay the hypersensitive types any attention.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

I say get one, I love mine. And honestly Its not a much bigger blade than the delica at all. Its just a good sized handle. And I wish that digi cam w/ black blade would have been available for me but I got mine over two years ago and I want one so bad but I already have a para so I still have other different models to try before I get two of the same.. :(
Attachments
delica para 2.jpg
delica para 2.jpg (53.71 KiB) Viewed 1267 times
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
BuffaloBill

Post by BuffaloBill »

yea the blade is only 73mm long and the para's is 81mm long. the extra length is mostly handle really.

the blade does come in at just slightly over 3 inches though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
^Click (needs updating)
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

If you are worried about NKPs, then why the black blade and digicamo? Black bladed knives are generally less accepted than uncoated, and plain black g10 (or orange!) would be more accepted than digital camo.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Piercieve wrote:If you are worried about NKPs, then why the black blade and digicamo? Black bladed knives are generally less accepted than uncoated, and plain black g10 (or orange!) would be more accepted than digital camo.
Well when spyderco makes an orange one Ill be sure to get one! lol but until then...digi cam w/ black blade! who cares what people think. I dont think theyll say anything to you seeing as your the one w/ the knife.. :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I guess I'm lucky I work around a pretty tough group of guys because I must flick open my Para D2 20 times a day! The only response I get is, "How many fricken' knives do you have!"
liltemp1

Post by liltemp1 »

I hear ya leatherneck, I love blades and when something needs cut, I don't hesitate. :)
I'd rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I also like hearing, "**** that thing is sharp!" :D