Delica 1?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
v8r

Delica 1?

Post by v8r »

Was there ever a Delica 1 or did they just start out with the 2.I think the Economy and Standard were similar.Were these considered the first Delica?What is the steel designations on the Delica 1 if there was one? :)
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The Delica I (although they never called it that) was the original FRN version with integral molded clip. They were made in GIN-1/G2 and later in AUS-8.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

I believe they were just called the Clipit Delica. At least the one I had was. They may not have had plans for future versions at the time those were made.

I recently got another one to replace the first two that I had (they tend to grow legs and walk off or something). :D
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bohica1998 wrote:I believe they were just called the Clipit Delica. At least the one I had was. They may not have had plans for future versions at the time those were made.
Quite true. In fact, the only Spydercos I can recall ever being "officially" labeled as the "Xxxxxx 1" were the Assist I and Salt I. The former because both it and the Assist II were released at the same time, the later as a declaration of Spyderco's intent to release more models in the Salt series than a hint of future versions of itself.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dialex

Post by dialex »

IIRC, the Delica I was the pre '97 FRN model with integral (FRN) clip. Delica II was the SS version; the Delica III was the FRN model with square butt and barrel clip, while the Delica IV is the one we know now.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

dialex wrote:IIRC, the Delica I was the pre '97 FRN model with integral (FRN) clip. Delica II was the SS version; the Delica III was the FRN model with square butt and barrel clip, while the Delica IV is the one we know now.
Alex, you're correct, as far as how "we" label them. But out of those names the only two which were official, that is to say used by Spyderco in the catalogs and elsewhere, were the Delica II for the original all stainless version and the Delica IV for all the new ones, including the all stainless. Both the integral FRN clip version and the barrel bolt version were simply called the Delica. Endura versions work the same way.
Paul
Lost Jaguar

Post by Lost Jaguar »

This thread is almost making me nostalgic for the 90's. My first Spyderco was a PE "Delica I," purchased in the late summer of '90. I bought the PE because I worried that I couldn't sharpen a SE. This was well before my first Sharpmaker. I carried that little sweetie in my pocket (being left-handed) for many years; it is probably the Spyderco I've carried the most, even though I put it in a drawer several years ago when I started actively collecting Spydies.

I bought that knife and six others as gifts for the groomsmen in my wedding, so it has a special meaning to me. I hope to never part with it.
Prepare for Anything, Expect Nothing
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Both the integral FRN clip version and the barrel bolt version were simply called the Delica.
My first one did say "Clipit Delica" in the little round circle on the handle. And so does this "new" replacement. Oh, and they all had the FRN integral clip.

Is this the "Delica I"? I know it wasn't called that. I meant is this the first Delica model?
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
Ted

Post by Ted »

bohica1998 wrote:My first one did say "Clipit Delica" in the little round circle on the handle. And so does this "new" replacement. Oh, and they all had the FRN integral clip.

Is this the "Delica I"? I know it wasn't called that. I meant is this the first Delica model?
All Delica's with an FRN integral clip can be considered the first generation of Delica's.

See more here: http://www.spydie.nl :)
lman30

Post by lman30 »

edit: Sorry for necro'ing the thread. I was doing a search on the Delica and responded to the wrong thread. :(
Cscoop

Post by Cscoop »

Did the Delica and the Endura generational changes occur at the same times?
We would not let our people have ideas why would we let them have guns? Josef Stalin
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Cscoop wrote:Did the Delica and the Endura generational changes occur at the same times?
Pretty much. First gen FRN versions of both came out in 1990. SS Delica came out in '96, SS Endura a year later. Barrel bolt/metal clip FRN versions both came out in 1998. Delica 4 and Endura 4 in 2006.
Paul
r small

Post by r small »

I have a 1st generation Delica I bought around 1990. It's now retired and resides in my knife drawer with about 15 other Spydercos to keep it company.
AZtanker

Post by AZtanker »

New guy here, so first of all, hello Spyderco forum!
I have a Delica which I bought in 1991. I carried it through Desert Storm and Desert Shield. Years later, among other knives, it again went into combat with me for Enduring Freedom, and, 3 Iraqi Freedom tours and 1 Afhanistan Campaign. I am getting ready now to send the old blade in to be repaired. The clip broke off in 1993, and somehow, the tip broke off in 2002. It fell out of my old gear bag with a pound of sand, when I was thinking of selling my gear the other day. Question for all you Spyderco fans out there, what will they do to fix the problems with the little 'ol Delica? The clip is not just repairable, since it was integral, and what about the tip?
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I think the 1st gen Delicas have the molded clip with either G-2, GIN-1, or AUS-8 stamps on the blade. I'm currently carrying a Delica 1 with the AUS-8 stamp on the blade. I had a Delica 1 with combo edge with G-2 stamp but I gave it to my daughter who rock climbs. I've collected many Spydies over the years but I carry my 1st one for nostalgia.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey v8r,
Here's a pic of my first gen. Delica.
It was gifted to me in the early '90's by my best friend.
I blame him for starting this addiction.
It was carried for seven plus years, and it shows its wear, but is still as solid as when it was new.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
rycen

Post by rycen »

AZtanker wrote:New guy here, so first of all, hello Spyderco forum!
I have a Delica which I bought in 1991. I carried it through Desert Storm and Desert Shield. Years later, among other knives, it again went into combat with me for Enduring Freedom, and, 3 Iraqi Freedom tours and 1 Afhanistan Campaign. I am getting ready now to send the old blade in to be repaired. The clip broke off in 1993, and somehow, the tip broke off in 2002. It fell out of my old gear bag with a pound of sand, when I was thinking of selling my gear the other day. Question for all you Spyderco fans out there, what will they do to fix the problems with the little 'ol Delica? The clip is not just repairable, since it was integral, and what about the tip?
It's tip can be reground and the clip will likely be replaced with a metal screw in version. It is less likely but still possible Spyderco will just replace the knife with the current version.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
araneae

Post by araneae »

rycen wrote:It's tip can be reground and the clip will likely be replaced with a metal screw in version. It is less likely but still possible Spyderco will just replace the knife with the current version.
Also worth noting, they will probably want $20 for the repair and $5 for return shipping. So if $25 sounds like a good deal to get your old faithful back in full service after repair and sharpening, send it in. I'm sure it will serve you well for many more years. Welcome aboard AZtanker.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

AZtanker wrote:New guy here, so first of all, hello Spyderco forum!
AZtanker,

Don't do anything with that Delica except to put it in a glass case. It served you well just as you served our country. God bless you!
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Iman & AZtanker,

Welcome to our forum.

Hey Tanker, thanx much for your service and for the history and memories.

sal