Fixed Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vito72

Fixed Blade

Post by vito72 »

Im starting to think at one fixed blade, i dont need of one wood beast so i listed follows models

Mule
Bill Moran Bowie
Jumpmaster
Temperance 2

i will use fixed expecially in woods or when im outdoor because this summer i want spend much more time in woods,i dont need of one beefy knife i need one just if necessary to use for all pourposes.

Thanks for suggests..
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Hi Vito,

Of the knives you listed I would suggest the Jumpmaster. I am sure any of the knives you mentioned should perform admirably but you mentioned that you will be using it especially in the woods or outdoors, an area where the H1 blade steel excels. I think the Jumpmaster is better suited for this purpose.
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

I would say the Temperence 2, because, although I've only held it twice, that is an absolutely perfect knife :eek:
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Why not the Rock Salt? It is my favorite Spyderco fixed blade and is a real do-it-all knife from woods to camp to kitchen.
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It's hard to go wrong with a Mule in S90V, but for general duty the Temperance II is a great knife. At least, if you can afford it, it is.

I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

It's not on your list but the Perrin Street Beat has blown me away for the past year or two I've had it. I use it on the farm and it carries nice and slim. The knife gives you a great grip and it's really easy to access from the sheath. On top of that it's nice and strong but it's an outstanding slicer. It's really much more versatile for utility than it looks.
MCM

Post by MCM »

If I could only keep one on your list, it would be the Temperance 2.
Carries great, sheath consideration is equally important....
(Glad I can keep 'em all) Orig Temp should also be included......

My opinion......
Since you asked........ :)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Definitely go with the Temp 2, Moran, or Mule (I suggest S90V). The Jumpmaster is a great knife, but serrated sheepsfoot(ish) blades aren't the best for the woods, in my opinion.
Capt. Carl wrote:It's not on your list but the Perrin Street Beat has blown me away for the past year or two I've had it. I use it on the farm and it carries nice and slim. The knife gives you a great grip and it's really easy to access from the sheath. On top of that it's nice and strong but it's an outstanding slicer. It's really much more versatile for utility than it looks.
I'm with Carl on this! I could type out why I love it, but Carl just did it for me! :p Take a good, hard look at the Street Beat if you want a smallish (+/- 3.5") fixed blade.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I'd go with the Bill Moran. It's compact, lightweight, tough, perfect for most around the camp chores. And relatively cheap compared to the Temp 2. Actually, you could get two Morans, one of each blade shape, for the price of one Temp 2, and still have enough money left over to buy a Delica, Ladybug Salt, or Vagabond, plus a firesteel, to round out your kit. If you can, try one in your hand to see how it feels. Some people consider the handle a little small, but I feel it's just right and gives me a variety of grip options. For what you say you will use the knife for, Vito, the Bill Moran should be plenty good enough. I find my Morans are a joy to use.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Hi vito72,

For some years I have used a Bill Moran and I was never, never frustrated ... I still choose between Bill Moran and Fred Perrin Bowie every weekend ... and I have some other knives too ;)

If you are looking for good quality compared with affordable price, take the Bill Moran. And the factory sheaths on the Morans are very well made!
Ok, I come out, I have three Morans :D

Definitely last choice on your list is the Jumpmaster. Nothing wrong with it, but designed for other purpose.

Do you understand German? I wrote a review of the Bill Moran on Messerforum.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've been carrying my fb01 moran for quite some time. First gen, numbered, mirror finish and leather crossdraw sheath. I upgraded to a kydex sheath from o/st after about a year.

Other than being too thin to pry and twist (comfortably in my mind), it's hard to beat. I've kept the convex edge on mine and all it needs it a few swipes on the strop once a week.

I used an original temperance back when they came out but wasn't used to larger fixed blades and didn't use it a lot.

Had a ronin a few years ago too, loved it. Then it decided to make a run for it and leave my belt on the beach at a small town celebration (guessing the chair caught it and I didn't notice). Never found that one in the morning.

Still haven't found the right hardware for my handles on the mule. Pretty sure I can find chicago screws with 3/8" outer dimensions. Have everything else sitting there to make it, but at the moment my s90v mule is sitting on a shelf.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
vito72

Post by vito72 »

Rock salt its a beast! And i want a general pourpose blade not so big, and second its a bit expansive! Of course like temperance its wonderful but expansive too for budget i planned for one fixed, Fred Perrin mhhhh its very nice really but again its out budget, so in list remain Mule Bill Moran and Jumpmaster,
As Peter1960 said Jumpmaster maybe want be perfect for other scopes, not specifically in woods but still i like very much so the mach its between mule and Bill Moran for now!
In other hand will be helpfull for me when i go in boats its rarely, but sometimes we do and maybe this summer we will go and we use to stop in the evening and prepare foods so one H1 fixed want help in such occasions..
Bill Moran its very nice i was looking the pics in Peter link but i dont understand german, the price of Moran's in USA are really very good, i can buy and counting shipping costs i will be around 100$.
Mule
about mule i like very much, price its ok, but of course i have to count price handle,so i think the price strarting of naked mule will be double or much more if i have to count a micarta handle scales and one sheath too because i want a nice handle like Potterma products or Krein and of course a sheath from Scott Gere! So at this point with same price of one first class mule product i will buy a Temperance too!!!!

Thanks to all here try to help me...

Still a lot of confusion in mind!!!!!!!
mbhanzo

Post by mbhanzo »

vito72 wrote:Im starting to think at one fixed blade, i dont need of one wood beast so i listed follows models

Mule
Bill Moran Bowie
Jumpmaster
Temperance 2

i will use fixed expecially in woods or when im outdoor because this summer i want spend much more time in woods,i dont need of one beefy knife i need one just if necessary to use for all pourposes.

Thanks for suggests..
I'd suggest a Frosts Mora knife... Great knives. For the price you can get several variations in both carbon or stainless....
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

vito72 wrote:Im starting to think at one fixed blade, i dont need of one wood beast so i listed follows models

Mule
Bill Moran Bowie
Jumpmaster
Temperance 2

Thanks for suggests..
I know it's not on this list, but have you considered an Aqua Salt?
vito72

Post by vito72 »

mbhanzo wrote:I'd suggest a Frosts Mora knife... Great knives. For the price you can get several variations in both carbon or stainless....
Mhhh some products they have are cheaper and they look good...

Thanks for sharing i dont know before.
Lockback wrote:I know it's not on this list, but have you considered an Aqua Salt?
Thanks Lockback!!!!

Just now i finished to read the Mr Blonde article about Aqua Salt, yes i will add on list...

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... =Aqua+salt
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

If you want to consider moras... I have 2 of the Erikson 556's from sweden. Think I paid about 15cad about 5 years ago for em. The factory sheath clips em tight until you figure out where to push with your thumb (or inverted you push with your index and thumb).

I had one at my last job for the loaner, with the usual "you break it you replace it". It got abused. If those people couldn't kill it, I doubt any of us could.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Manix Guy 2

Your choice

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Not going to spend a lot a time here but a Moran is a great outdoors knife , but if you want to personalize any Mule would be the way to go for a FB that you can call your own . Regards MG2
tkdman41

Post by tkdman41 »

I have a moran and love it. But If I were you I would try to wait for the Spyderco Bushcraft. That knife looks extreamly functional and very cool.
Endura ZDP-189 CE | Endura Wave CE | Salt 1 PE | Centofante 3 PE | Tenacious PE | Tenacious SE | MT02 Second | MT03 | JD Smith | Caly 3 ZDP-189 CF | Bill Moran | Military | Tasman PE | Stretch 2 CF | Endura | Delica | Dragon Fly
MCM

Post by MCM »

Just to keep this one alive..... ( A Moran, might be exactly what you need)
but
If you can swing it, an S90v Mule is a great blade.
S90v is special, to me anyway. And is some how still availiable!
Here is a photo of a sheath I picked up for about $15.00 (like many folks here)
$15.00 of CF from E-bay. Total cost, about $100.00
and a couple hrs labor. (This one is M4)

Still a bit more than the Moran though (ebay $70-$80)

Temp "one" is also a great blade.

Trying to figure out what you want, is 1/2 the fun!

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Moran is an exellent choice.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]