If you were limited to about $50?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MBKrPeter50

If you were limited to about $50?

Post by MBKrPeter50 »

If you only had about $50 to spend what would you get? Depending on where you look that puts you in the range of the Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Cricket, and even the Rescue.

thanks
Patrick
Current :spyder: collection: Favorite EDCs in Blue
Centofante 3, Native FRN SE, Salt I SE, Orange Ladybug 3, White Ladybug 3, D'Allara Drop-point, Spydersaw, Blue Salsa CE, Tenacious CE, Meerkat SE, FG G10 Rookie, Khukuri
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I'd go with a FRN/SE endura, either 3rd or 4th gen handle.

I've beat the **** out of my ats-55 and vg-10 3rd gen enduras without thinking about it. The only damage so far is that my ats-55 no longer has a clip (caught on a table too many times at work and ended up reaming out the clip-well).

I don't think the integral clip would hold up past the 4th or 5th time where as the barrel bolt clip held on for well over a dozen times. I find the 3 screw clips don't move as much but they do pull your knife out when they do catch.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
MBKrPeter50

Post by MBKrPeter50 »

vampyrewolf wrote:I'd go with a FRN/SE endura, either 3rd or 4th gen handle.
How well does the SE work for EDC? I am just not that familiar with SE.

thanks
Patrick
Centofante 3, Native FRN SE, Salt I SE, Orange Ladybug 3, White Ladybug 3, D'Allara Drop-point, Spydersaw, Blue Salsa CE, Tenacious CE, Meerkat SE, FG G10 Rookie, Khukuri
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I know there are many who have a strict "do not buy products made in China" policy (not sure if that's you) but I would suggest the Tenacious. If you look around, you can get two of them for $50.
MBKrPeter50

Post by MBKrPeter50 »

Jay_Ev wrote:I know there are many who have a strict "do not buy products made in China" policy (not sure if that's you) but I would suggest the Tenacious. If you look around, you can get two of them for $50.
I've got one and I love it, but I am looking for something different.
raven

Post by raven »

Hi Patrick, You have some very good choices. I'd pick either the Delica or the Dragonfly. I have both ... Delica in SS and FRN (variations) and the D'fly in SS. Both are excellent work horses and very durable and can take on any cutting. I know vampyrewolf has a D'fly that been used heavily and believe he still has it and it's still going ;) . As far as PE and SE ... I believe it's a matter of preference.

Just a side note on the D'fly ... it's what ya call one of the "Little Big Knives" :p . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Endura 4 or Pacific....

The Delica would be similar to several of the knives you already have listed in your signature...
Jason
MBKrPeter50

Post by MBKrPeter50 »

JBE wrote:Endura 4 or Pacific....

The Delica would be similar to several of the knives you already have listed in your signature...
That is honestly why I have been holding back on the Delica, but everyone keeps telling me that no collection is complete without one, but I am just not sure.

thanks
Patrick
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Depending on where you look that puts you in the range of the Delica, Endura, Dragonfly, Cricket, and even the Rescue
And the Native, IF you take the time to hunt for one, hehe.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MBKrPeter50 wrote:If you only had about $50 to spend what would you get?
thanks
Patrick
If I would have about $50, I would save more money and get Caly3, if this is not an option I would get Native.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

Delica or the Native. IF you like bigger knives, go Endura. None of those 3 is a bad choice in just about any situation.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I strongly favor knives that have both a front lock and a 50/50 choil, so I'd either go to Sierra Trading Post for an Adventura, or just shop around for a Native.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

as Raven mentioned...

I have a stainless steel dragonfly, PE in ATS-55. Purchased summer of 2001, thinned and convexed the edge in 2002, and have since thinned the edge further to the point where I have to put the blade flat on the stone to hit the edge.

It's been used for things that would make the warranty dept either cry seeing it or laugh at the thought of having it covered under warranty. Other than it's wonderful collection of scratches and the very tip missing (long since reground) it's still 100%. Locks up solid, and lock moves smoothly.

... Despite using it to pry cores out of material rolls, paint lids and bottle caps... as a shim to lift something up a few mm... as a drywall knife... cutting wires, shingles, LOTS of cardboard... lots of zipties... Pretty much if it shouldn't be done with a quality pocketknife I've probably done it with my 'fly in the last 8 years.

It's fallen 35' a few times, run over with a forklift, had a few different chemical treatments over the years, and been through the dishwasher and washing machine a number of times. Usually on my neck in a kydex rig from on/scene tactical.
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Sword of Morning

Post by Sword of Morning »

It would depend on what I'm looking for at the time. Out of that list, I would go for an Endura 4 SE.
catamount

Post by catamount »

If you don't mind waiting a month or 2 (gives you time to save a little more), I think you'll really like the FRN/VG-10 Stretch. Deacon has posted some great pics of the prototype here:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37977

Blade size is halfway between the Delica & Endura, and it's full flat grind. They'll be available in PE, SE and CE.

They should be out late June, and the US street price will be around $80.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Josh K

Post by Josh K »

I'd lean towards the 93mm Rescue or a Salt I. Ease of maintenance, and the rescue is great iwb.

Other then that, I like the idea of two Tenacious model knives.
[CENTER]Dearly wishing for a H1 Military. And a M4 Military. Add in an old school 52100 Military with wood scales while you're at it.

Keep the curved RH TD clip please!
[/CENTER]

Post by 224477 »

I would hassle between Delica4 in PE and Endura4 in PE. :D

I have both not in VG10, but ZDP189 and they share a nice amount of pocket time.

If I would have to /or you LOL!/ pass on the back lock, then the 'T' or Tenacious is an interesting choice. So far I have heard only good feedback on the T where I live.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
MBKrPeter50

Post by MBKrPeter50 »

For me the Native falls in the same category as the Tenacious, and that is that I already own one. I am really starting to like the sound of the SS Dragonfly though and I have been wanting to try an Endura for a long time as well, but please keep the suggestions coming.

thanks
Patrick

Post by 224477 »

If you limit yourself between a D`fly and Endura, then think of the D`fly as being a small folding SCALPEL, very elegant and useful lil knife. As for the Endura, its a full size workhorse which wont put your pants down in the terms of not being heavy and covers multiple areas of use, starting from common utility works, ending with a possible use 'IF' as a defense tool.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I love my serrated endura(s) for utility. There's not a whole lot that CAN'T be done with 4" of serrated steel (including 1/2" thick cardboard tubing, and 4 thickness cardboard shipping boxes).

But thin and sharp wins in my books. I might send an endura off for a krien regrind eventually. The only thing really seperating the endura and 'fly is blade length. I KNOW what the 'fly can do/take, and I know what I've put my ats-55 endura through (like cutting 2" thick of 10oz tarp material on a wooden table with screws in it)