marlinespike

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pete1977

marlinespike

Post by Pete1977 »

I know this has been discussed several times in the past and that R&D have been working on some designs but I have had a couple of watches of down time and have been thinking of a marlinespike spyder and tossing around some ideas.

I know that "to lock or not to lock" was one of the questions. If an open framed knife was used both the spike and the blade could lock using a liner lock. This would solve the problem of accessing the lock for either implement with the other one closed. As evidenced by the military spyderco does the liner lock and does it well. The blade can be made of H-1, VG-10 or any other corrosion resistant steel though the spike shouldn't need to be made of a super steel. would a tougher steel like 420J2 series or 440 series suffice for the spike? What does spyderco use for handle material on their stainless models? I would expect that toughness and corrosion resistance be above edge holding ability in the actual spike. The handle of the knife could be G-10 or even FRN (keeping the MSRP down for us lowly deckhands ;) ). The barrel bolt style clip could be used or a screwed on clip with a lanyard hole.

I am by no means a knife designer but I would think that a combination of features that are present on current and past models might make producing a spyderco rigging knife a possibility.

Also, is a locking spike even necessary? Could it be a slipjoint spike on a locking knife or could a slipjoint blade be used with a locking spike?

It might be possible to put the spike and blade side by side a la the dyad either opening on opposite sides of the handle or to the same side. this would make for a much thicker knife however.

anyways these are just some thoughts I have had on a much discussed topic.

pete
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hard call Pete. There are situations when just about any new concept or design can improve a tool and situations where it would take a very special one to do so. Not sure where the ideal sailors knife falls. My own experience with them is limited, and it's been over thirty years since I last played with rope, but I can't remember the spike on my Case ever closing accidentally. Can't remember ever even wishing the blade locked.

On the other hand, at least two of the current "high end" knives in that field, AG Russell's SeaMaster and Myerchin's Offshore Folder, seem to have locking blades and locking spikes, so buyers today may perceive those features as necessary, regardless of whether or not they offer any real benefit.

Speaking of Myerchin, have you seen their new Sailor's Tool. Not a Spyderco, but might suit your needs, or give you more ideas for a Spyderco rigger. ;) :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Plus, if they aren't already making one, it's going to be hard to get ANY knifemaker to tool up for a product that they may never sell very many of. It IS kind of a specialized tool.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

+1 on Myerchin knives... good value, looking like well made. ;)
“There's no friends like the old friends.” James Joyce, Dubliners
spinynorman

Titanium Marlinspike?

Post by spinynorman »

Titanium might be a good choice for the marlinspike, since it won't corrode, and it would cut the weight down. Might be a more jazzy sounding material too, to help with sales appeal, even though it would increase the price a bit. Stiletto is making a bunch of carpentry tools out of titanium, and despite the cost they seem to be selling them, because they're light, tough, and different.
Doug
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I wouldn't mind seeing a Rescue knife with a marlin spike similar to this:
Attachments
knife-marlinspike.jpg
knife-marlinspike.jpg (3.79 KiB) Viewed 1262 times
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Spyderco has a "sailor's knife" design. There were some engineering challenges to overcome, but I think it will be another good example of Spyderco's innovation when it gets released. I did actually see a prototype of it once. Potentially, it's another one of the myriad of designs waiting for a production slot.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
pantopop

marlinspike

Post by pantopop »

I have spliced many different types of rope including wire.The spike would not have to lock to be effective. The motion is straight and probing much like a crochet hook. The tip appears through the lay of the line giving you a path to introduce the next tuck, while also proving you are in the correct position. Better that the spike is solid round so as to push the lay open and create a hole when withdrawn that you can then push the prepared end of the yarn through.-dp (former BM3,1st Div. Deck Dept. CV-67 USN)
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

I have very rarely used a marlinespike when splicing anything but the hardest laid large diameter rope. then a longer spike is better as it gives more leverage. I always used a long screwdriver. I tend to use a marlinespike more when making the last tucks in a rope fender.

I mostly used the spike on rigging knives to help loosen knots that are tight or wet, to help pick backlashes out of fishing reels, etc. I don't think a locking spike is necessary in most instances.

the marlinepike on folding knives, like the shackle key are geared more towards the recreational and professional sailor these days where one still encounters small shackles that the key fits and small diameter lines that knots may have snugged up due to being wet or under heavy strain.

I haven't had an instance as a professional mariner where I have needed a marlinespike on the fishing and workboats I've crewed. most shackle/pins could be loosened with a screwdriver and snugged down knots were usually just cut out.

I like rigging knives for the traditional aspect of them however. I think most people who work or play on the water are nostalgic for the days of sail and simply enjoy having a modern version of a traditional sailor's knife. I know I do :)
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

Chris_H wrote:Spyderco has a "sailor's knife" design.
That sounds like something I would be interested in. I love being on the open sea! Wish I could see a proto photo
War is mostly waiting.
pantopop

to pete 1977

Post by pantopop »

perfect, i use a flat/oval ground screwdriver, most times for regular use. i have a set of prickers for wire rope, and some commanders for hawsers. all the same idea: introduce then feed.-dp