Found a brand new "Q" in my office

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toad310

Found a brand new "Q" in my office

Post by Toad310 »

I have been going thru some things, and I found a brand new Spyderco Q model, still in the box!

This must be from the early 90's and that is only a guess.
I bought this because I thought the engineering was very cool.

After that, I became very busy with my business, got married, child, new house, built two offices, and a ton of travel. I found it Sunday, in the back of a cabinet in my office! Still love it.

Are these anything to you guys, or should I just throw in my grip tote, and use it?

Thanks for all the recent help, I had some questions on my old military, and received some good, quick help here.

Best,

Toad310

Hope I find another Toad!
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

The "Q" is a very cool little knife.....I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one.
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

type00rev wrote:The "Q" is a very cool little knife.....I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one.
+1 on the "Q". and it`s good to see you back again there type00rev. :)
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

Lord vader wrote:+1 on the "Q". and it`s good to see you back again there type00rev. :)
Thanks for the love, it's good to be back!! Image
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Neat find, but think your guess on the timeline is off a bit. The Q was not introduced until 1996 and, depending on the handle shape yours may have been made even later than that. There are two distinct "generations" of the Q. On the first generation, if viewed head on, the handle looks hexagonal in shape, on the second, it looks rectangular.
Attachments
c35_generations_small.jpg
c35_generations_small.jpg (20.2 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Toad310

Post by Toad310 »

Deacon,

Let me tell you...I have trouble trying to remember last week, much less the 90's.

1996 was the year I got married, and I covered the presidential campaign of Clinton/Dole. President Clinton offered me a position as a photographer at the White House. Best offer I have had, and I declined it, I'm republican. So, with all that the Q was misplaced.

The model I have looks like the one on the left in your photo. I do remember where I bought it. It came from Greg at Skyland's cutlery. They are long gone, but I got the Q, and he also got me a custom Emerson in the same order. I just put the Q away, and forgot about it.

It had just come out when I bought it. I loved, and still do, the design.

It is brand new never used or carried, and is in the box it came in.

All I ever did with it was work the action.

Cool knife. So do I keep it as is or use it. I like use all my things, with one or two exceptions.

Thanks,

Toad310