Trying to figure out the fascination with the DoDo

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TexSierra

Trying to figure out the fascination with the DoDo

Post by TexSierra »

I got to hold one today at one of my local brick and mortar stores. I am not impressed with the knife at all. Sure, the ball-lock is phenomenal and the G10 is awesome as always, but the blade design...I don't get the blade design. It just doesn't seem functional at all. Why do people seem to love it so much? I want to like it, I really do, but I just can't figure it out, and I can't spend $100 on something I can't figure out. Enlighten me please!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Unfortunately, you really need to take it out and use it to appreciate it. It works great for cutting carpet to fit, demolishing cardboard boxes, splitting romex jacket, stripping wire and a host of other chores that don't involve slicing through anything three inches thick.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I think the Dodo is one of those love it or hate it designs. The blade shape is a very useful reverse-S type which is similar to the Cricket. It would be like taking the blade of the Cricket and putting it into a larger, more ergonomic, comfortable handle, if that makes any sense.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

My friend/boss had a similar thought when he first got his hands on mine. I think his comment was something along the lines of "This is just an over-glorified boxcutter."

I let him borrow it for a few days and he found it to be incredibly useful for a whole slough of different chores, but one thing we both agree on is that the Dodo is an absolute monster when opening those cursed clampac contraptions. Christmas each year has always involved at least one clampac related injury in my family, that is until the Dodo came along :D There has been no such injury since...

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Have you cut with it yet?

It's a good knife if you want a full handle but are limited by blade length restrictions in your area. I always like to have a few around when I lived and worked near a major city with a 2" length limit that was enforced primarily by confiscation of the knife. There really isn't much that compares to the Dodo in that aspect. Another point is that some of us want a "glorified box cutter;" the short blade is maneuverable and very fast for quick cuts in a cramped environment.

I will say that some of the flak that gets thrown up at the Dodo is pretty funny. There was one poster years ago on Bladeforums who was quite vocal about disliking the Dodo and it's short blade. One of his chief complaints was that it was too short to cut a Subway-style sandwich in half. I mean, seriously? The vast majority of the knife carrying public carries a knife that is too short to accomplish that task and this guy picks on the Dodo for that reason. :rolleyes:

Some knives just don't appeal to some of us, even after we handle them and use them. I was like that with Ayoob model. I hounded one for weeks, studied all the reviews and was extremely excited about it until I got it in the mail and tried it out. It cut well and the ergos were good but I just didn't get it.

What model Dodo did you get? Although it appears the Dodo market is bottoming out right now you should still have no problem selling it for $100 or trading up to a different knife.
v8r

Post by v8r »

I wish I could find one. :( Ebay is the only place i have found any.I have to be honest in saying I don't trust people on Ebay much.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

What's not to love?? Great ergos, reverse-S blade for leverage while cutting, BB lock, fine detail blade tip, reversible wire clip and G-10 scales. Probably the most user friendly, NKP friendly knife produced to date. Try it and you will wonder how you survived this long without it.

Now if we can get a sprint run with oh...say some FFG scales and a rescue orange version too. Are ya listening Sal?????
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

If you have found a new one for a hundred, that seems like a price point where you can consider trying it out for a while-yet get your money back on the secondary market if it doesn't work for you. I concur with the opinion this blade needs to be used to appreciate it's versatility.
duff72

Post by duff72 »

100 bucks ------buy it ----------------you need it and just don't know it yet
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

$100 for a DODO WOW. THAT IS A HECK OF A DEAL PLEASE BUY IT. :p :D

When I bought my first Dodo it cost me $75 Cad. That is my first Dodo and I will keep that forever. Immediately what drew me to the knife was it was so unusual looking and I had never seen anything like it anywhere.

The knife imo is one of the best examples of don't judge a book by it's cover sort of deals. By looking at the knife you would think it's blocky and not something well designed, but as soon as it's closed within your hand you realize Eric is a true genius.

The Blade shape just excels at so many tasks, and is one of the meanest blade shapes ever to come in such a small package. The handle to blade ratio you think would throw you off, but it is very clever in giving the user a full grip, and still making it ergonic and legal almost everywhere their is a restriction on blade length.

The dodo just excels with SE, and it is one knife that everyone should carry in order to see if they like it or not. The true value of any knife is only found when using that knife.

I have had a lot of Dodo's :p (Every time I say dodo it still makes me laugh) :D , and I can safely say that this is a knife that will forever have a cult like following and a knife everyone should try once.

take care bud and if you don't buy it please send me the info. :eek: :p ;) :D

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

AJ,

If I was you, I would have kept every one of those 21 Dodo's that you used to have :)
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Now you are making me regret my decision to pass on it. I think I am heading back over there later this week.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Jay_Ev wrote:AJ,

If I was you, I would have kept every one of those 21 Dodo's that you used to have :)
They started to control me, and wanted me to do their bidding. :D

It's surprising the amount of people I met through just letting these Dodo's go. I had only three left today, and now one more is sold. I think I will let the last numbered one go, and send my first one to get some work done.

Just let go of a lot of Spydies and gear, because It doesn't make sense leaving knives in boxes. Those Dodo's though paid for some cool knives. :eek: :D

take care bud
aj
Live in every breath

aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

TexSierra wrote:Now you are making me regret my decision to pass on it. I think I am heading back over there later this week.
later in the week. Get there tomorrow bright and early bud :p

aj
Live in every breath

v8r

Post by v8r »

What is "Brick and Mortar"? Is it a store chain? I have seen it mentioned several times on the forums.Is it a East coast, or west coast store chain? please educate me please. :confused:
V8R

spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

just buy it, you will love it i promise. and if not, youll have no trouble selling it as so many ppl want to get ahold of one. Im so glad i finally got mine! :)
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

v8r wrote:What is "Brick and Mortar"? Is it a store chain? I have seen it mentioned several times on the forums.Is it a East coast, or west coast store chain? please educate me please. :confused:
A "brick and mortar" store is an actual store as opposed to an e-store. Any store can be a "brick and mortar" store, as long as you actually go to the building. Typically speaking, a "brick and mortar" is a knife/cutlery shop.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Thanks for the info Tex. I think if I were you I would pull the trigger on that DoDo. :)
V8R

amen74

Post by amen74 »

Yes, definitely pick up that Dodo. I was a little skeptical of the design myself, but after I was able to get one and use it did it all make sense to me. Einstein would have loved it! :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

uhiforgot wrote: the Dodo is an absolute monster when opening those cursed clampac contraptions. Christmas each year has always involved at least one clampac related injury in my family, that is until the Dodo came along :D There has been no such injury since...
See, I think that is more than enough reason to get a Dodo right there. I hate those nasty, sharp little clam packsises! (said in a Gollum voice) :D