Spyders on a cruise

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
catamount

Spyders on a cruise

Post by catamount »

For my vacation this last week, I (along with my wife and son) went on a 4 night Royal Caribbean cruise to the Bahamas, out of Florida. It was a wonderful experience, which I would recommend to anyone.

I brought 2 :spyder: s with me; a white Dragonfly and a yellow SE Salt I. For the flight, I put them in my checked bag (rolled up in socks, as some have suggested here). They came through fine, both ways.

On the ship I carried and used the Salt I without any problem or negative reaction. I used it to cut my meat at dinner. My waiter and some people at the next table over were quite intrigued by it. I gave one guy a catalog I just happened to have with me ;)

Just to be safe, I carried the Dragonfly during our day in Nassau. It went through security fine, and I believe it would have been the same with the Salt. I took the Salt to CocoCay (Royal Caribbean's private island), and, again, no problems.

IME, taking a small (3" or less) :spyder: on a cruise is not a problem. I would suggest a NKP friendly color, and highly recommend the yellow Salt I.

I wouldn't bring one that is expensive, discontinued or collectible, and checking the knife policy/laws for your particular cruise line and destination(s) is a good idea.
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

Excellent advice catamount. I also believe handle color is a big factor with most people. It would be much easier to poo-poo a Black Native as opposed to the forum Purple or Pink Native.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Better check with the cruise lines. When boarding a Norwegian ship, my Kiwi was heavily scrutinized before they let it through.
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

this is good information! I have a cruisetour coming up in May through Alaska on Princess and I really wanted to have something with me. I'll check with my cruiseline to make sure it's ok but it's always good to hear good experiences like this
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the feedback Tom, hope it was a good vacation! Any pics? Salt on vacation like? :D
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Thanks for the information, Tom. I don't travel very often and I have decided that when I do, I am just going to do so without any knife at all. Too many different rules, regulations, restrictions, laws, legalities, policies, etc. has made it too much of a hassle and an inconvenience and it is just not worth it for me.
Josh K

Post by Josh K »

Glad your vacation went well! :D

I flew back from NY, and although I had no problems with my Military, I still had to mail it back to myself.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Went on a very similar cruise in Dec.
The only problem I have ever had on any Cruise was getting back on the ship with a knife. They look at you cross eyed as it goes through the metal detector. Got hassled in Alaska of all places? (inside passage)

Never have been able to figure it out?
They hand out large steak knifes everywhere on the ship?
Just the stupid way the world is looking at things I guess.
I for one am about tired of it............. :mad:
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
amen74

Post by amen74 »

MCM, I absolutely agree on your point. A weapon can be made out of almost anything if the person is desperate enough. Despite the fact that dinnerware is available where knives are not allowed. That never has made sense to me. Even if the cutlery was plastic, it can still most definitely do harm.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
JediKnight86

Post by JediKnight86 »

Cool stuff my man. I would be too nervous to use mine in a public dining room. I went on the exact some cruise in high school, and I'm moving back to S Florida so I won't be far from those beautiful islands.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm a Spyderholic :D
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

My Spyderco Delica 4 was confiscated for a while when I was going through security to get on a Celebrity cruise ship. It was still waiting for me when I got back home though.
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

Did you look on any Islands to see if you could find any production stuff at cheaper (than stateside) prices?? I always wondered my wife and I cruised 4 times but all were before my knife addiction.. I have many Movados that I purchased in the Islands at about half of what they cost here so why not good quality knives, they have to be available in the Islands for purchase??
blan

Post by blan »

I know there are metal detectors on the ship when you board back. Did you place it in a back pack or something? Did they take it out when they saw it?
catamount

Post by catamount »

knife_junky wrote:Did you look on any Islands to see if you could find any production stuff at cheaper (than stateside) prices?? I always wondered my wife and I cruised 4 times but all were before my knife addiction.. I have many Movados that I purchased in the Islands at about half of what they cost here so why not good quality knives, they have to be available in the Islands for purchase??
I didn't really do any shopping, and didn't think to look for knives. They'd have to be selling :spyder: s below wholesale to make it a deal for me ;)
blan wrote:I know there are metal detectors on the ship when you board back. Did you place it in a back pack or something? Did they take it out when they saw it?
I just took my Dragonfly out of my pocket and put it through with the other contents. It didn't get any particular attention. Don't try this at the airport, though :D
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

You took a couple of Spydies on the Cruise with you? Not addicted to them are we........... :D

Your Aussie (Deeply) Addicted Pal,

BRIAN
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

I can only relay my experience, but I advise caution. I had my blue abalone Native, carried FRP, confiscated on a Seattle to Alaska cruise upon my initial boarding. The metal detector picked right up on it. They gave me a receipt and assurance that I would be rejoined at the cruise's debarkation in Seattle. Well, it wasn't. It took about 2 hours of waiting (off the ship) before it reappeared. I was standing there with a very bad feeling, and no receipt-having handed it over to "security". Fortunately my flight home allowed me the time to wait, or someone would have added to their collection.

On a minor separate note, don't try to reboard a ship with some smuggled booze. They know every trick. My bro-in-law bought some fancy vodka, poured it into a store-bought water bottle, and was busted in about 2 seconds. Apparently water and vodka develop different bubbles when shaken! I watched them open and sniff Camelbaks!
bowarrow2000

Post by bowarrow2000 »

Did a cruise this past October. Yellow handlded Case sodbuster. No problems.
KP

Post by KP »

Good to hear from you, Tom. Too bad there were no pics.
catamount wrote: I brought 2 :spyder: s with me; a white Dragonfly and a yellow SE Salt I.

IME, taking a small (3" or less) :spyder: on a cruise is not a problem. I would suggest a NKP friendly color, and highly recommend the yellow Salt I.
Usually I don't suggest/ask for/beg for new models. Hey, there are way too many already in production I lust for and can't get.

But, to combine from above, maybe we can get some unexpensive Byrd model (CaraCara?) with NKP friendly color in FRN or G-10?
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

My problem was I brought it to the attention of the security personnel, and wanted to check to make sure it wasn't going to cause any issues. Of course, if I had put it in my backpack, it would have been fine, since I found my Swiss Army Knife in there later on in our cabin. Doh!

Whenever I got on and off the boat, I just made sure my pocket knives were in my pack, and never had any other issues.
Cuccos19

Post by Cuccos19 »

Josh K wrote:Glad your vacation went well! :D

I flew back from NY, and although I had no problems with my Military, I still had to mail it back to myself.
I don't really understand. What do you mean on "had to mail it back to myself"? You cannot take the Millie with you somewhere, so you simply send it back to your home by mail? It would be problem for me traveling separetly from my knife. Except the airliner rules, knife in the luggage, luggage in the cargo bay.