Spyderco Forum Knife 2009 - Details

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
choubbi

Post by choubbi »

here's a little Gimp work I made to see what it could look like:
please keep in mind that it is just a mix between the catalog pictures of a C41CF (Plain edge, carbon fiber) and a C41PN(FRN, pink) with a color alteration of the pink one.
This just might be close to what the forum knife looks like except for the engraving, it's not exactly what it'll really look like.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Choubbi,

That is how I was picturing it. Thanks for the photo-chop! :)
bodydamage

Post by bodydamage »

Im in,.. My wife loves purple knives.. Lemme know when theyre in and Ill run up to the SFO and grab one..
stonefrog

Post by stonefrog »

Sadly, I'm not a fan of natives. I think I might be the first to say I'll give this one a pass.
Blueboost

Post by Blueboost »

This is why I'm here. It's why I keep one close, everyday since a kid. The feeling of vested interest in me. This reinforces that feeling.

Looking forward to my first forum participation. Purple.. Pink.. What-have-you.. I'm fully vested, back at you.

Sal, TK, and the rest of the crew- Thank you. :spyder:
scullshoalk

Post by scullshoalk »

Thanks MCM and The Deacon for the help. Also I "won" a native on the old e-box for a reasonable amount because the plane blade had been abused. I did a little work with my honing rock and it is good as new. I really like the pattern and did before I knew it was made for walmart. I still like the pattern, guess they had me in mind when it was designed. Can not wait for the new forum knife it should be a real beauty.
MCM

Post by MCM »

With the Flat grind this will be my 1st native.
Bought several at Wally world and gave e'm away as gifts.
The only thing I am not fond of is the non adj blade, bronze bussing-less, & pinned construction. This one will probably just sit in my knife box anyway, but generally don't buy knifes without those features.

I am not in the same league Spyderco wise as Deacon.
Can tell you all about MT,and a few others but am still learning about Spyderco's.
Have my 50 favorite Spyderco's of all time, but am still a newbee. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

stonefrog wrote:Sadly, I'm not a fan of natives. I think I might be the first to say I'll give this one a pass.

I am with ya on this one, I am not a fan of the natives either, being a purple native at that makes it even less desireable for me. 3 native forum knives thus far, I guess the following must be there but I simply don't see it. I am glad that Spyderco still does a forum knife though, they in no way have to go out of there way to do this for us. Can't please everyone all of the time. :confused:
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

This thing ticks all of my boxes. Thanks.
hickster

Post by hickster »

Very cool that there is a forum knife, big thumbs up!
But...this one's not for me.
Tazkrisi,
Please let us know when you get something more "sane" worked out for shipping to Alaska (another fellow "state").
Quote from the USPS website:
This is the Small Flat Rate Box, available either as a 10-pack, or in multiples of 25 between 25 and 500.

The Small Flat Rate Box is about the same size and shape as three stacked DVD cases, perfect for jewelry, electronics, event tickets, or other small items that need expedited shipping. And like all USPS flat rate boxes and envelopes, the new box is available free of charge and also can be used for international shipping.

The Small Flat Rate Box has a retail shipping price of $4.95 — one price, regardless of weight, up to 70 lbs. for U.S. addresses. The international price, for up to 4 lbs., is just $10.95 to Canada or Mexico and $12.95 to all other countries, with savings of 5 percent for customers who ship online. Online prices also are lower for shipping to U.S. addresses. The online price is $4.80, and for large volume mailers who qualify for USPS Commercial Plus pricing, the price is $4.75.

I'd have already ordered a couple of Swicks, definately an extra Mule or two; but the extra $20 per order is killing me. :(
hickster
Loving Alaska,
Hating the ostracization. :rolleyes:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, I'm in one of "the lower 48" and still can't understand why Spyderco does not offer Priority Mail as an option to US customers. Boxes are free, postage can be printed in house, insurance, delivery confirmation, and even pickup service are available. For some of us at least, that would mean both faster service and less chance of loss in transit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

The Deacon wrote:FWIW, I'm in one of "the lower 48" and still can't understand why Spyderco does not offer Priority Mail as an option to US customers. Boxes are free, postage can be printed in house, insurance, delivery confirmation, and even pickup service are available. For some of us at least, that would mean both faster service and less chance of loss in transit.
Plus, as I stated in an earlier post, UPS/Fedex just doesn't work for some of us.

Where I live, UPS and/or Fedex deliver in the late afternoon (as late as 6:31 PM). I work second shift (1 PM to 11 PM or later some nights) and there is nobody here to sign for it .

And you DON'T leave a package on the doorstep in this neighborhood. It would grow legs and be gone before the truck was out of the parking lot.

I have a PO box for my mail.
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I hate UPS.
They leave packages in plain view on my porch,they do not deliver on saturday,they take 3 times as long as USPS and most packages I get from them are crushed.
PLUS USPS is much cheaper,priority flat rate box with as much weight as you can get in it for 4.85.
5.60 IIRC with Del con.7.60 or near abouts with 100.00 insurance and del con.
I have a holster coming UPS tomorrow,if it had been shipped USPS I would have had it a week ago.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
pjmaxm

Post by pjmaxm »

As I was looking at my native I was thinking it would be nice if the forum knife had jimping more like the military if possible. Don't know if it is but it would improve the knife for me.
Current:
:spyder: Lum Chinese ZDP-189, :spyder: Para-Military, :spyder: Military
bh49

Post by bh49 »

It would be great to have an idea on when to expect these toys. :p :p :p
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

I will definately be getting one, as my wife has wanted a purple or pink knife, and this one should be a great cutter for her. The 40% discount will be nice, so this should hopefully be nicely priced.

Mike
buckthorn

Post by buckthorn »

I, too, will be looking forward to having one of the new forum knives.

May I add my request to the others for you to consider USPS Priority insured shipping? For anything beyond local deliveries it is considerably faster than UPS. USPS Priority shipments consistently travel to and from our daughters in Seattle and us in Central New York in two days, including Saturdays! That is in contrast to five days, not including Saturdays, via UPS.

Thanks for giving this request some thought.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Wow, that sounds awesome, I think I'll have to spring for this one!
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
choubbi

Post by choubbi »

bh49 wrote:It would be great to have an idea on when to expect these toys. :p :p :p
TazKristi wrote:Currently we're looking at Fall as an ETA.
Sounds like I did the right thing not to wait for the forum knife to buy my Swicks.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

This one is a winner! The Native is one of my favorite Spydies, add to that one of my favorite colors, and it becomes a 'must have' knife. If I can swing it, i'll get one to show and one togo. :D
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser