A day in the life of the Rock Lobster. (review)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sherpa

A day in the life of the Rock Lobster. (review)

Post by Sherpa »

This is my first official review. Usually I read lots of good reviews before I buy a knife, and have little to add or say to what others have written.
I would love for this to become a thread for pictures of the Rock Lobster in action in other peoples day to day lives.

Here goes!

I believe for a knife to be truly great. Many compromises have to be met and mesh together. A great cutting knife that scares everyone is no good to me, A great looking knife that won't last or do the tasks I usually do is no good. If the handle is too fat and it's uncomfortable in the pocket I won't carry it for long. This knife does not suffer from any of those drawbacks.

It is a big knife. The handle is 4 7/8inches from tip to tip. The handle is nice and thin, which makes it fit nicely and unobtrusively in the pocket. The Curves are great, I am going to call the cut out area of the knife a "SUPER CHOIL" It's like a choil for anywhere from two to three fingers, and it works great. Alot of times my middle finger is up against the back of the super choil when doing a pulling and slicing type of cut. The front of the super choil instills confidence that your hand will not be sliding onto the super sharp VG-10 blade. It offers many unique and very comfortable gripping options.

When cutting something thick, you can hold the back of the handle to keep your hand out of it.

The super choil makes for a comfortable and secure backwards grip. The webbing of the thumb and muscle fit comfortably in it.

You can get excellent control of the tip even with such a generously sized blade like this

I'm not going to spend a lot of time on the lock or clip. Both work very well. The knife is easy to open and close, with no awkward feelings during either action. Lockup is secure. I don't cut with the back of my knife or stab, so I don't do SPINEWHACKS. :rolleyes:

Now onto the blade.... This is in my opinion the Ultimate blade shape and size. No one jumps back when this knife is opened even though the blade is 3 3/4 inches from handle to tip. This fixes the problem I have with knives. I like a lot of blade. Usually with a long blade I have two problems 1. Scary looking - the sheepsfoot style has my wife, and boss at ease even though it is long. 2. Loss of control or a feeling of connection with the tip of the knife, this knife with it's interesting handle and downward sloping blade keep that from happening, I can choke up and get a finger nearly all the way out to that tip! See above picture.

The Rock lobster has solved another dilemma for me. I often war over whether to carry a hawk or wharncliffe style which is great for electrical work to be able to pierce wire with the tip.

Or a knife with a little belly for great slicing ability.

The Rock lobster with it's gentle arc of an edge works great for both. It can pierce, controllably down a wire. It can slice. It's comfortable. It's big but not scary. It looks good too. (I think so anyways :D )

For me this is "the" knife. Usually a jack of all trades sort of knife or tool isn't very good at anything. This knife seems to excel in every way. I'm not super excited about it like the flings I had as a teenager. I feel satisfied, sure, and happy. The way I felt when I met my wife. I know a common feeling for a knife nut when receiving a new knife is that "this is the one for me" However I am sure this is the one for me ;)

Get one you won't be sorry, and if you are let me know I might buy it. I do plan on getting about four more to make it more likely I will have one for the rest of my life :)
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

More pics from work
At home with tools

Hanging out with the old meter

Skinning #2 aluminum SEU cable, that brings the power into a 100 amp panel.

Works really good for getting through this tough plastic/rubbery type of coating as I am able to get this type of grip going.

It looks good with the hat!
Qrt

Post by Qrt »

very nice, thanks for the review
can't wait to get one of my own :cool:

nice tools btw, love makita
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

Thanks for the review sherpa!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Very nice review!

How's the weight? It looks chunky but I imagine it's pretty light?
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

I don't notice it in my pocket. I read that it is 4.1 ounces though.
bell

Great Review and pics

Post by bell »

Thanks sparks for the thoughtfull review and all the good pics of the spydie in action. Do not know where the name "Rock Lobster" came from but this design sure works good for you.

Nice to see a spyderco at work!
gibbleguts

Post by gibbleguts »

Great review in real world terms. Many reviews aren't quite as personal as to how it works for you in your daily life. This was already on my want list but now it's abit higher up. I completely agree with the wanting a big blade but not scary and is the reason I have used way more OLFA knifes then necissary.
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

Yip very nice and its G10 so I'm gonna have to treat myself.. Thanks
hickster

Post by hickster »

Good review! Looks to be a very practical working knife.
It will be added to the stable :D
hickster
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

great thread, sherpa! i love seeing such a special design being used in a very practical setting... :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Excellent review. Well written and great photos too. Thank you very much.

I especially liked 2 things you said:

1. "I'm not super excited about it like the flings I had as a teenager. I feel satisfied, sure, and happy. The way I felt when I met my wife." Well said! :)

2. "It looks good with the hat!" LOL :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Great review
Nice pics
Cool Rock Lobster

Thanks Sherpa
Qrt

Post by Qrt »

so I have been looking for a rocklobster on the bay for a few days now

never found a single one!

so just now I decided to search for "rock lobster" instead of "rocklobster"

:o should have seen my face :D
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Great job with the review and photos Sherpa! I think it's awesome that you bought the Rock Lobster and put it to work. You better get some pre-need replacements in order! :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

"super choil" dude!
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I didn't really like the design much from just seeing it in pictures, but after seeing it in hand, I've changed my mind. I'm not planning on buying one anytime soon, but definitely see where it makes an effective work knife.

Thanks for the review.

Post by 224477 »

Cool review, for me, too bad its a right handed knife. ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

:spyder: Great review and pics Sherpa. Its cool to see such a fine piece being used in real life. Gonna have to budget that one in this year. :spyder:
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Nice review Sherpa! It's good to see a spydie do real work, I bet you just made Mr. Anso and the :spyder: crew real happy.
After enlightenment, the laundry.