Captain Owners Convince Me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
duff72

Captain Owners Convince Me

Post by duff72 »

Thinking about pulling the trigger on this one , but i need convincing
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
Jay_Ev

Captain

Post by Jay_Ev »

Will a picture convince you?

roguesoul

Post by roguesoul »

For some reason I think Sal is keeping this knife in the line-up in spite of it not being real popular. If Sal likes it that much need more be said?

:spyder:
hickster

Post by hickster »

I'm just waiting for the right deal to come along...or a partially serrated model to be produced ;)
The Captain is definitely on my buy list.
hickster
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

duff72 wrote:Thinking about pulling the trigger on this one , but i need convincing
Sir, you are a member of the C.O.T.C.O. The Captain is definitely curved. What more needs to be said? :D
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

It is my everyday carry. On a daily basis, I use it to open dozens of boxes, tear down the boxes, open letters, cut papers, and play around. I am very happy with it, I would purchase it again.

My only wish is that they make a Combo-Edge version
seacat

Post by seacat »

Of the four Spydercos I own (Captain ,Stretch II, Street Beat & Persian 75mm) The Captain has the better fit & finnish of all of them, really exceptional build quality.

It also fits my hands the best of all as well, the extra handle width really suits me.The only downside is I really wish it is available in ZDP 189, as I would buy another in that steel type in a heartbeat, (sprint run?) .

Cheers,

Peter
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

can't get my brain around this one...many love it...i don't...get a P'kal, I'd say... :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
KaliGman

Captain

Post by KaliGman »

Agent Starling wrote:can't get my brain around this one...many love it...i don't...get a P'kal, I'd say... :)

Agent Starling
Interesting Starling--as I am the exact opposite. I really like the Captain, see a ton of self-defense possibilities and utility uses with this design and I don't like the P'kal at all. The P'kal is best used as it was designed--as a self-defense folder for use with pakal edge in grip. This grip, though it is practiced in Albo Kali Silat, is very infrequently used in our system due to some disadvantages compared to other grip options used for our particular system of combat. I had one of the first P'kals off the line, loved the caged ball lock, hated the ergonomics of the thing except in pakal edge in, and passed it along to a collector friend of mine who thought "it looked cool." He is happy with it :p . For us, the whole "stick trains knife, which trains empty hand" philosophy of old, combative kali systems is taken seriously. In a real fight, we don't want to have to think much about what weapon we have pulled if any, or what weapon the opponent has, if any. The defensive motions need to be the same or very similar for all weapon/opponent combinations, so that the response is quick and done on the subconscious level. For small knives, the pakal edge in works pretty well in many situations. However, few fight with a baton or stick in a reverse, "edge in" grip, and the pakal grip thrusts translate into a hammerfist in empty hand--powerful, but without the reach and "snap" you can get with a straight jab (at least when talking about facing a target--center line to center line). Most find a large knife, like a big Bowie or Filipino Barong, to be a bit awkward for pakal edge in as well.

The P'kal is a nicely made and finished knife. I far prefer the Captain. I do believe I outlined a few defensive possibilities for the Captain on a post started by the good J.D. Spydo (who really likes the Captain) several months (over a year I think) ago. Oh well--tastes and preferences vary. If they did not, there would only be one model of Spyderco or any other product, and things would get awfully boring :) .
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
jlfletcher

Post by jlfletcher »

The Captain is a great knife with many utility possibilities. Its like have the hawkbill and a ladybug in the same knife, plus the tip strength is incedible. I would like to see one with a serrated curve.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

the Captain has big performance packed in a small package. Great camping knife.

Here's another pic for you :) .........

Wraithe9113

Post by Wraithe9113 »

The first :spyder: I picked up was a Captain. Ended up getting a D4 at the time because of funds, or lack thereof. Finally got mine 2-3 weeks ago. Immediately displaced all other knives for EDC, except when wearing dress pants. Very useful. Can still peirce with blunt tip. Amazingly sharp out of the box and has incredible ergos. Linerlock was hard to work with at the beginning, but now it has "softened up" to were it is comfortable and secure.

Get it. Great, interesting looking, useful, kick a$$ knife.

Wraithe

ps I got mine for about 120 on ebay
Delica 4 CE (LOST :()| Tasman SE | Spin | Benchmade Griptillian PS | Captain | Tenacious SE
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

Somehow i can't warm up to the blade style. I rather carry my clb mpt for emergency backup and all purpose. Sorry . I think the fit and finish look great but blade shape don't appeal to me.
Maarten
member of FFG Club