Leafstorm MSRP?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ColonelX1

Leafstorm MSRP?

Post by ColonelX1 »

i REEEEEEALLY like the look of the wilkins leafstorm but sadly my budget has been a bit lower this year than in the past

any clues on the future pricing of this knife?

cheers!

the Colonel
Pick a Card, Any Card

:My Spyders:spyder:
Orange G10 Wharnie Urban 064v
Blue/grey Waved Delica 4 (gifted to my close friend who is headed to Anapolis)
Black FRN Jester Ghetto Wave

ATS-55 SS harpy in full spyder edge!(loved, and then gifted to a Plebe at annapolis)
Carbon Fiber KIWI
Manix2CE 064v Ghetto Wave
SSSE Cricket
Delica4 full SE Ghetto Wave

May your food be rich, your knives be honed, your women be sweet, and your good friends stoned.
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

Lets hope that Kevins Leafstorm has nothing further to do with him, I believe spyderco purchased the rights to its so we should be safe.. Kevin makes some great stuff but is off the friggan planet when he prices things.. This is a smaller sized folder with titanium liners and G10 scales, my guess is gonna be $219ish.. MSRP.. Again my guess if Kevin priced it we would be looking at $950.00.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I was also going to guess that the price will be north of $200.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

knife_junky wrote:Lets hope that Kevins Leafstorm has nothing further to do with him, I believe spyderco purchased the rights to its so we should be safe.. Kevin makes some great stuff but is off the friggan planet when he prices things.. This is a smaller sized folder with titanium liners and G10 scales, my guess is gonna be $219ish.. MSRP.. Again my guess if Kevin priced it we would be looking at $950.00.
Don't know where you're getting your info from. The last time I saw a Leafstorm in similar materials on Kevin Wilkens' site, it was around 400 Euro which at today's rate would be about $530. Plus, IIRC, it would have been around $100 less expensive than that for a US buyer, since he does not have to charge us the VAT tax he must charge European buyers. As for the Spyderco version, being that it's a collaboration model, made in Golden, with S30V blade, titanium frame, and G10 scale, I'd guess the MSRP will be somewhere north of $250, probably closer to $300, but that's just a guess.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

The Deacon wrote:Don't know where you're getting your info from. The last time I saw a Leafstorm in similar materials on Kevin Wilkens' site, it was around 400 Euro which at today's rate would be about $530. Plus, IIRC, it would have been around $100 less expensive than that for a US buyer, since he does not have to charge us the VAT tax he must charge European buyers. As for the Spyderco version, being that it's a collaboration model, made in Golden, with S30V blade, titanium frame, and G10 scale, I'd guess the MSRP will be somewhere north of $250, probably closer to $300, but that's just a guess.
and it will be worth every penny :)
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

The Deacon wrote:.........I'd guess the MSRP will be somewhere north of $250, probably closer to $300, but that's just a guess.
At least $250.... That'd be my guess too.

Look at the SageII.... MSRP $264.95

With the combo G10 and Ti, the design appears to be more complex than the SageII.

Plus, its made in Golden, plus its a Colab (which means some type of monetary agreement has been made with K Wilkins)... all of which lend me to thinking that the price will be higher.

True, The knife is smaller, and theres less Titanium and less S30v.... But I personally wouldnt be surprised if we see the MSRP above the $300 mark

Just my guess. I hope Sal or Taz can shed some light

:)

_clock
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

According to the man himself, Spyderco purchased the rights to his leafstorm a bit back. From what kevin told us its now spyderco's design..
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

knife_junky wrote:According to the man himself, Spyderco purchased the rights to his leafstorm a bit back. From what kevin told us its now spyderco's design..
exactly.

My guess is 280.00 msrp
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

Which again if what Kevin said is correct then its no longer a collaberation, its a spyderco kinfe..

SecSpyral wrote:exactly.

My guess is 280.00 msrp
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

Isn't the translucent g10, or g11 as it's called, more expensive to make?
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

Yes it is a bit. Kevin had a nice set of scales he makes for the griptilians that many of us purchased and so on and Im pretty sure the price of them was fixed regardless of the color but then again its kind of hard to charge much more than $140 for scales in G10..
SecSpyral wrote:Isn't the translucent g10, or g11 as it's called, more expensive to make?
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

knife_junky wrote:Yes it is a bit. Kevin had a nice set of scales he makes for the griptilians that many of us purchased and so on and Im pretty sure the price of them was fixed regardless of the color but then again its kind of hard to charge much more than $140 for scales in G10..
Yea I wanted to get a pair for my mini-grip but the price was a bit high for my taste
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

knife_junky wrote:Which again if what Kevin said is correct then its no longer a collaberation, its a spyderco kinfe..
Either way there's a payment to Kevin Wilkins which becomes a factor in the total cost of Spyderco's version of the knife. Only thing it will mean if you are correct is that commissioning a custom Leafstorm is no longer an option. But again, the only custom Leafstorm I ever saw that might have run $950 was Damasteel with Bark Mamoth Ivory scales over a ti frame.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

This is going to be an expensive year for me
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

I'm just hoping for a street price under $150.

Otherwise, I'll have to pass on this one, even though I really want one.
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

From the way it was explained to us Spyderco made a payment to Kevin for his leafstorm design so one way or another its factored in yes.. Wether the payment was made in a lump or over time who knows, we were told theatspyderco now owns the leafstorm design and name..
The Deacon wrote:Either way there's a payment to Kevin Wilkins which becomes a factor in the total cost of Spyderco's version of the knife. Only thing it will mean if you are correct is that commissioning a custom Leafstorm is no longer an option. But again, the only custom Leafstorm I ever saw that might have run $950 was Damasteel with Bark Mamoth Ivory scales over a ti frame.
MCM

Post by MCM »

I cant see going over about $125.00 for this little feller.......
MhhHmmmFhhh.......

We will see........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

like the RIL sage II and rock lobster, this is a knife i really must have, in spite of the price. although this thread has me a bit nervous... :eek: :eek: :eek:
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Slick

Post by Slick »

MCM wrote:I cant see going over about $125.00 for this little feller.......
MhhHmmmFhhh.......

We will see........
The price of materials plus fees will keep the price up on this one.
Not really all that slick ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

MCM wrote:I cant see going over about $125.00 for this little feller.......

We will see........
I am afraid that this is just wishful thinking :rolleyes:
$150 street, if we lucky.
I need one :eek:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian