Regrind Salt Tip - how?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Regrind Salt Tip - how?

Post by Fred Sanford »

Do you think it would be possible to use a XX Coarse DMT to give the Salt 1 or even an atlantic Salt a better tip?

If I were to do this to one of my Salt 1's I wonder if I need to have a dremel or a belt sander or if just real high grit sandpaper or a XX Coarse DMT will do?

It would seem that I don't have to remove that much metal and I have even drawn a couple of different pencil marks to attempt to see what needs to be done.

What do you think?

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Grinder or belt sander are your only real options. It will take years to sand down/file down that much metal.
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

I would recommend a belt sander with some water nearby to keep the blade cool. Grind for a second or two and dunk.

I'm not a real patient man though. It is probably possible with the DMT. But the belt sander will make it a 5-10 minute job.

Heck. If you don't have any access to power tools. You can ship it my way and I can rough grind it for you. Then you could take over with the dmt.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I started with a coarse (bastard) file, then a couple progressively finer ones, then a couple progressively finer sandpapers, then polished it with leather and polishing compound - it most certainly didn't take very long. The bastard (anyone know why it's called that?) file removed most of the material quickly, then you just take it easy with the following steps. Good luck, knifebro.

- best wishes, Jazz.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i fixed the tip on an injured manix using a dremel.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Jazz,

Do you know how hard files are? I wasn't sure if the H1 was harder or not than the metal files. I don't own any files so I'm gonna have to get some or get figure out what to do.

I am considering sending this particular salt off to Tom Krein to get a full flat grind and I may just leave it alone because I know when it gets ground full flat that it will lose some of it's squared tip then just due to geometry. Hmmm....
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

David Lowry wrote:Jazz,

Do you know how hard files are? I wasn't sure if the H1 was harder or not than the metal files. I don't own any files so I'm gonna have to get some or get figure out what to do.

I am considering sending this particular salt off to Tom Krein to get a full flat grind and I may just leave it alone because I know when it gets ground full flat that it will lose some of it's squared tip then just due to geometry. Hmmm....
They're definately hard enough - I've used files on a lot of metal, including 2 Salt knives. Yes, they do wear out over time but so do diamond files, speaking of which, you can buy those, too. They work good after you've removed a lot with the coarse bastard file. Get some files and do it - you'll appreciate your labor all the more and it's really not all that hard. I'm going to make a couple of wharncliffes - one from a Bird Cara Cara Rescue PE and probably one from my Tasman PE (not sure). I say do it - it's something to do and you'll really appreciate it. :D I should say that it also helps a lot to have a vice.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks Jazz! :)

Your enthusiasm will have me doing this real soon. Hopefully in a couple of nights.

I need to buy a good vise so I'll have to pick a vise up and some files. Image
THG

Post by THG »

I was thinking about doing the following projects with my Endura all with my DMT XC stone:

1. Give it a sharp tip vs the safety tip
2. Give it a flat grind
3. Extend the edge by removing some of the ricasso (I've never liked how Spyderco wastes ~1cm of cutting edge on all their knives, especially on those without choils anyway)

If you're gonna do your project with an XXC stone, let me know how it goes.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
thehunt

Post by thehunt »

I´ve done some reprofiling with waterstones, but I admit, its a PITA.

But I choose to do so for two reasons:
First, I don´t have a beld sander ;-)
Second I didn´t want to ruin the heattreating.

The M21 got rid of its recurve and got a flatter back spine, because I find it hard to sharpen with stones, and I wanted the blade to look more spearpointed.

The Crossbill lost some "meat" on the back on the blade as well and the Delicas just got some tippier (is this a actual word?) points...
Si vis pacem parabellum
grubbster

Post by grubbster »

I used a grinder on mine with a 60 grit 3M white wheel. It took about 15 minutes but I was making sure to keep it cool with water dunks. The steel seemed pretty hard. I agree that you will be able to do this with files but it will take a while. Be sure to have sharp new files. Good luck and let us see the results.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Just a side note here. The choils are not wasted space, especially on lockbacks. It's there for one handed closing. Every Spyderco lockback has a tip on the handle or "feature" as I like to call it. If you put your index finger right at that tip and then hit the lockbar with your thumb and shake the blade down, you cannot get cut.

If you bring the edge back, you lose this safety feature.

As you're told in manufacturing, no level of efficiency is worth your safety.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
jeff189

Easy way

Post by jeff189 »

I think I just found the easiest way to have a pointy tipped salt.
Attachments
salt tip.jpg
salt tip.jpg (70.88 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

David Lowry wrote:Thanks Jazz! :)

Your enthusiasm will have me doing this real soon. Hopefully in a couple of nights.

I need to buy a good vise so I'll have to pick a vise up and some files. Image
Have fun and let us know how it turns out.

- best wishes, Jazz.
ChapmanPreferred

Krein it.

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Hi David,

Since you are planning (or contemplating) sending that knife to Tom, I would suggest that you have him do the full mod.

If you get your Delica back from Tom and find you do not want to have your Salt1 reground, then jump on it as instructed above. I reprofile/retip knives all the time with a grinder if it's bad, or my sharpmaker stones if it's not very bad.

Anyway you go, I hope you enjoy the outcome.

Doug
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tank

Post by Tank »

I used the belt sander on these two. I always preferred the pointier tips.
-John
MAT888

messing up tips...

Post by MAT888 »

Well last week i was twirling arround my d4w ffg. Suddenly it flew out of my hand through the lynoneum into the concrete.... :( stupid me... Snapped of approx 2 mm from the tip.

Before it looked like this;

After 15 minutes on a duckfoot diamond and the 204 set it now has a slightly less pointy tip;

Needs some more polishing but looks okay now don't you think?

However your ones needs some serious metalremoval so i would opt for a pro our a beltsander with lots of water dunking..
;)
Maarten
member of FFG Club
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Great job MAT888.
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

jeff189 wrote:I think I just found the easiest way to have a pointy tipped salt.
Thats cheating! But nice ladybugs :D
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

It's going to Tom Krein and is going to look like this one owned by Wire Edge soon.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q183 ... ind002.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q183 ... ind004.jpg