Dilemma(yet another "use or not use?")

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydutch

Dilemma(yet another "use or not use?")

Post by spydutch »

Greetings You All :)

For the past weeks I have been carrying my Delica 4/SE as my sole EDC. Does everything it has to do :cool:

However I have a FG Para in serrated D2 steel looking at me begging to be carried/used. :D

As I have told before I didn't have had any luck with Para's(off centre/vert play after a while) but this one I got from Sal is perfect. After tightening, the smidgen of vert play under strong up and down movement is virtually gone.

Furthermore I miss using a Para. The knife fits my hand even better than the Military and the blade is just right(not too little, not too big :) )

Thought about buying a regular Para but since I'm out of a job right now and don't have any sight on a reasonably paying job in the near future, I can't buy any new knives.( I hope I can buy the Urban Rescue/SE and FRN Stretch/SE when out but I doubt it:mad :)

Soo what do you recomment: Keeping the knife in my display because of it being one of a kind and (easier to rust) D2 or just use it and see how it goes? Or saving up for a regular Para/SE after all?

Would very much like to hear your opinion on this ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
huugh

Post by huugh »

Well, do you expect it to melt down with use? Or explode?
It won't. It is just a knife...
tenman

Post by tenman »

My philosophy on this and similar questions is simple: Use it :)
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

I'm guessing Sal gave it to you because you like to use SE blades. Not because you like to look at them. I think it would be a shame to not use such a sweet blade. But at the same time I don't do the whole safe queen thing.

Just my 2 cents.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

USE! :cool:
gac

Post by gac »

Use it.
hwpaintballer

Post by hwpaintballer »

Use it, show it off, and if it gets beat up and a little rusty then one day you can retire it with fond memories of knowing that it wasn't a safe queen.
:spyder: CPM-D2 para-military:D
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

You can't take it with you when you die. Always use.

I have had to stop myself from collecting "things" and instead use what I have. If I own a knife I will not use......it goes to someone else.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

I'll use the advice that others including Sal and The Deacon gave me when i faced that dilemma. USE IT!!! if you like it that much buy another one to keep as a safe queen or when you lose (so sad)/or wear out (great!) the original.

I put that advice to good use and put my money wear my mouth was or is. Have a spare Stretch II, Sage and T-Mag. Those 3 are my favorites.
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Create adventures and use it, then and come back to tell us your wonderful experiences with this terrific knife :)
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

Use it Arend!!.... you know you wont abuse it. Yeah it's collectable..., but that's beside the point ( unless you have started your own Spydie Museum :rolleyes :) as I seriously doubt your ever going to sell something Sal has gifted to you.
I'll admit I'm jealous as **** of your SE D2 Para :D I know I'd have tested those D2 serrations out by now...

Jez

P.s I'm thinking of picking up a second D2 Para too as I cannot function without one.
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I EDC my D2 para at least five days a week. At first I was very scared of rust and tarnishing and I noticed that food prep will leave some what of a wierd mark that could be rubbed off. I have started to wipe it down once a week with Mineral Oil and it seems to be doing much better.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
sevykor

Post by sevykor »

I took my D2 BM out and came back with rust spots after I got hit with a sprinkler while on vacation (paddle boat trip). Cleaned it, oiled it, and now sitting safely in its original box. Caly 3 on my side from now on.
:spyder:Endura 4 ZDP Green
:spyder:Caly 3 ZDP/420J2 Carbon
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Use it. :spyder: s are happy when they're EDCed and used.
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

The knife was a gift from Sal.

Sal's philosophy is to use knives, and creates very usable ones.

Therefore, it follows that the intent of the gift was something to be used, not admired as a safe queen. Any admiration should come from an appreciation of what you know it does, not what you think it might do.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I say use it. They are made to be used and it seems by what you said its read yto be an EDC so put it to use and enjoy it.

I feel your pain about not working.. I have been laid off since the first week of Jan. With all the new knives they have come available and the pending forum knife I am so bummed that I can't get any of them right now.
-John
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Gotta go with the consensus here... Use it!
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Howdy Arend!

I say use it!

It's hard to appreciate a cutting edge unless you put it to use. Think of it as bonding, so I say you should bond with your para! ;)
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

The only reason you would not use it is if you planned on reselling it someday. Do you plan on selling Sal's personal gift? :eek:

Also, what if a tailor made you a custom jacket as a gift. Would you save it or wear it with pride?
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thanx for pulling me over you guys :cool: :cool:

Yesterday evening I put a thick layer of Ballistol on the blade of my Para to let it sit in overnight. Just wiped off the excess and clipped the knife to my pocket ;)

To be honest you all are right, this is too fine a knife to let it look at me from it's display :D

Very Happy Easter Everyone
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p