Rock Lobster Is Out!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Qrt

Post by Qrt »

I'm definately looking forward to your review of the rocklobster as an electricians blade
Ansoknives

Post by Ansoknives »

I really enjoyed the last pictures too...I found them hilarious :) especially the dishonered your family pic :D ...looks like you tried it before but missed :D
Broken Tine

I like mine

Post by Broken Tine »

I bought one of the first listed on ebay. I paid $212 shipped.
It was expensive. It is worth what I paid. I am even more eagerly waiting now…I am on Mr. Anso's "List".
The Lobster will be added to the big game arsenal. I would rather carry 3 knives than one sharpener. It will skin away. The knobby nose will take the place of the two fingers by the sides of the blade. It will also complete the camp kitchen.
When closed it is hard to put down. I like the angles as much as the curves of the Wegner. I only wish with that blade shape it had a mirror polish like the old Bill Moran.
What are the angles of the edge and bevel? It is a razor.
-Mike
druid

Post by druid »

I handled the rock lobster have my local knife shop I was interested to see how it would feel in the hand and it feels presently good I don't really know what to compar it to but the indentation for the two fingers upfront seems to give you more control while allowing strong purchase with the back of your hand,but my first impression was of how big the knife was I am going to go on a limb here and say it is the largest folding spiderco I've ever seen far more flat surface than my choonk 3 but as Sal said it is slimmer probably significantly so I wasn't thinking about that at the time. I think after seeing it its price tag is a perspective to the rest of the lineup however and I do not feel I'm overstating myself here you should try to see this one person to get a handle on how big it is someone who has one please put a couple comparison shots together please.

PS I can imagine two factors that make the price of this different from say a military but simply it's twice as wide so takes up twice the footprint on a sheet of v-g 10 and takes twice the time and where I would guess to grind out the G. 10 sheet for the nested lock in addition there is a larger area of G. 10 which needs to be cut to shape.

Final analysis will I buy one honestly probably the price goes down enough not that I do not think it is worth it, only because it is to be large for me to carry and get much use out of, and I'm just not really the type to collect things that I can't use if that's even collecting just hoarding :D
why
MCM

Post by MCM »

How many are being made again?
1200?
Are they all here now?
or just the 1st run of the 1200?
1/4? 1/2? etc.....

Not easy to keep up these days, need to know above info
so I can put my Spyderco purchases in correct order..... :)

Thanks!
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
catamount

Post by catamount »

They are regular production, but difficult to manufacture. Sal has said that their Japanese supplier can only make about 100 a month, so the first batch went quickly. It'll likely be late May/early June before :spyder: gets in the next shipment and sends them out to dealers.

Spyderco does a good job allocating product fairly among all their dealers. I'd like to get all mine first, but Sal doesn't take bribes and the car Kristi wants is too expensive ;) :D
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Qrt

Post by Qrt »

mine arrived yesterday, took it with me on a day trip, still have to get used to it though

Ansoknives

Post by Ansoknives »

glad you guys are liking it..! It IS a design that you need to get used to ...some will get it right away others need alittle time.... :)

sweet picture QRT!
amen74

Post by amen74 »

I just missed out on a Rock Lobster on eBay last week. Went for $159! :eek:
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Qboy

Thoughts on Rock Lobster Pricing

Post by Qboy »

I too have been struck by the high price of the Rock Lobster, given the amazingly low prices for a knife like the basic Mili or Para. If one were balancing money vs. a capable knife, the Mili in S30V or the Para is impossible to beat. The general evolution we have seen towards higher price points for the limited run knives is good business, however. Spyderco makes amazingly good high end production knives with street prices around $100--like the Mili. For collectors though, Spyderco is testing the market I believe--to see just how much people are willing to pay for a really cool production piece designed by someone like Jens Anso or Ed Schempp. I fully expect to see this testing of higher price points continue. Its not about what it costs to make--its about what people are willing to pay. If a custom Anso costs $700, there will be plenty of folks who will by the production version for $200 or $300. Its all about perceived scarcity--and Spyderco is smart to exploit this. I bought two Yojis when I could buy them for $80. Now they are hard to find and people pay 2x or more than what I paid. Same with large Persian. Etc.

Also, the quality of these production knives is amazing--unprecedented in my experience. Spyderco has established new territory in terms of quality in production knives. I am not going to mention any names, but I have found that Spyderco is far ahead of other 'premium' production knives in terms of manufacturing standards.

Thanks Sal and Co.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Agree 100%.

I will own one down the road. Guaranteed.
But if I can snag a Stretch II or CF S90v for
considerably less, guess what I am buying. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Qboy, I also agree with you. I still plan to buy a Rock Lobster.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

I got one on the bay for 165. I haven't gotten such a functional yet fun knife like this in a long time. Fit and fin are as good if not better than the Mili. I personally like the ergos better as well. Being a "larger" knife the blunt tip doesn't scary NKPs as much either. This knife is definitely worth the 200 that most sites are selling it for. I was trying to decide between this and the Phoenix. No regrets here. Sure it may not have a titan framelock or s30v but the design, execution, and the finish makes it worth the price. I LOVE THIS KNIFE :D
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
Billy

Post by Billy »

Qrt wrote: Image
Great picture! This is another knife that is slowly growing on me...
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Chando

Post by Chando »

Hello from France

I bought recently a Rock Lobster and i see on the blade "087". Are these knives numeroted ? Because on the different pictures of the RL i see, i never see numbers.

EDC since two days, very pleasant, lightweight, top design, powerful cutting...
Very sad it's not a Golden made.

[img][img]http://nsa08.casimages.com/img/2009/05/ ... 989522.jpg[/img][/IMG]
Yester5

Post by Yester5 »

As an owner of a custom Anso Gekko, I'll tell you I could not wait until this Spydie came out. I have one on the way and I'm sure I will love it. Jens designs and craftsmanship is off the hook. This one will hold a special place in my collection, and I will use it HARD. :)
"A gem is not polished without friction, nor man perfected without trial"
davec

Post by davec »

Just got mine, the quality is superb, the liner lock snikts into place like a bank vault. Think the wizards at Spyderco did a wonderful job with this one.
noddy

Post by noddy »

Looking at all the amazing pics on the net is driving me half crazed. I am just going to have to bite the bullet and pay up, I think

This flat ground VG10, foliage green G10 stuff is going to be the end of me, I can see. Theres the Endura and Delica, the new UKPK, urban ... are the FG Manixes still made? :)
noddy

Post by noddy »

So, mine showed up today. It floored me at first. It really didn't look or feel the way I have imagined. It is way lighter than I guessed for example. The grip wasn't what I expected. Also there was quite a bit of flex, even play, in the blade.

The latter was no problem and with a half turn of the pivot screw it was rigid. The nested liners are really something of a coup - so pretty to get a peek at, and they do make the knife light. But it is the ergomics that really got me. It has kitchen knife written all over it, so I spent much of the day today mucking about with it there. It is masterful. It chops and slices, for instance, as quickly and accurately and as comfortably as my venerable old sabatiers. It is as a camp kitchen knife that I bought this so I am well delighted. I don't think it will replace my Stretch 2 in this, but I am really going to enjoy having the choice :D

But, tinkering about in the garden, I realized that this cuisining capacity is just a fragment of its potential. There is so much more to it. Looking forward to finding out exactly what that is now. I am very happy with this one
Left Hand Path

Post by Left Hand Path »

Thanks for the quick review noddy. Glad you like your new knife. It certainly is an intriguing design. I have not yet had the chance to handle the Rock Lobster, but I too like the features of nested liners and light weight. I also like how the blade is really buried in the handle when closed.

I am also a big fan of the foliage green G-10. The Para D2 is my current example of it. The FG big Manix was a sprint and is a rare and pricey find these days.
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org