Rock Lobster Is Out!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Billy

Rock Lobster Is Out!!

Post by Billy »

I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Qrt

Post by Qrt »

wow cool

how long would it take for the price to settle to a normal level?
DeltaWhiskey

G10 Poliwog Too!

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

G10 Poliwog out too... its news to me atleast. :D
"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"
araneae

Post by araneae »

Qrt wrote:wow cool

how long would it take for the price to settle to a normal level?
I believe that is about "normal" as the MSRP is $329. Maybe it'll go a bit lower, but I wouldn't expect a whole lot.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yup, and that much green for a handle that looks like that means I'm going to have to handle one before I spring for it.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Wow that's a steep price.

:eek:
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
JBE

Post by JBE »

Wow... :eek:

Outta my price range for sure...Just like a lot of other new and upcoming releases... :(
Jason
thefly01

Post by thefly01 »

Don't get me wrong I'll probably purchase one of these sooner than later, but what's with the price? How is a G-10 handle, VG-10, and a liner lock run the price up this much. This is up there with the CF Superhawk and Titanium Phoneix. I have no idea how this works perhaps Anso is getting a significant portion of the profits? I just can't understand how a military has a MSRP of around 220 and this is 100 more? As I stated I was just trying to understand nothing else. :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Agree w/others. A little pricey. But an awesome knife!
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

it sure is an awesome looking knife imo. I think Jens is a great designer and a very cool guy, but I'm sure I won't be picking this one up. I'm already getting two customs from Jens, and will try to find a custom Rock lobster. These are around $250 production, and the customs usually go for $700. Rather just spend a bit more and grab the custom.

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

well, i'm definitely going to have to figure out a way to afford one.

although i'm still kinda waiting to see what happens with the leafstorm first... i want to be able to own and carry that one IMMEDIATELY, as soon as it is released!!! :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

thefly01 wrote:Don't get me wrong I'll probably purchase one of these sooner than later, but what's with the price? How is a G-10 handle, VG-10, and a liner lock run the price up this much. This is up there with the CF Superhawk and Titanium Phoenix. I have no idea how this works perhaps Anso is getting a significant portion of the profits? I just can't understand how a military has a MSRP of around 220 and this is 100 more? As I stated I was just trying to understand nothing else. :)
I wonder the same thing. It just doesn't add up for me.

I could understand it if it was a USA made knife with S125V or S90V but not just VG-10.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
jezabel

Post by jezabel »

I'm still having trouble understanding the pricing. Maybe I'm looking at things too logically here but... Here's a look at the basic specs "on paper" compared to the Barong.

Both are Collaboration models.
Both are made in Japan.
Both use a liner lock.
Both use FG G10
Both use 3mm stock VG10
Both are FFG
Both have blade lengths around 4 inches.
Both use screw construction
The Barong uses full liners and the Rocklobster nested ( I think).

Barong MSRP $249
Rocklobster MSRP $329

Models we usually see carrying that $300+ price tag pack some sort of special steel, CF handles and sometimes both.
I really like and want the Rock Lobster, at 250 MSRP I would have purchased it already, but now I need to somehow justify spending these extra $$$ though before biting the bullet.

Can someone twist my arm here...
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

aj1985 wrote:it sure is an awesome looking knife imo. I think Jens is a great designer and a very cool guy, but I'm sure I won't be picking this one up. I'm already getting two customs from Jens, and will try to find a custom Rock lobster. These are around $250 production, and the customs usually go for $700. Rather just spend a bit more and grab the custom.

aj
I have a few ANSO customs, and obviously I sell Spyderco knives, but I think one of the things Spyderco has always tried to do in collaborating with a custom maker on a production knife is to give EVERYONE an opportunity to own a piece from a renown designer like Jens and Lum etc.. without having to spend $700.00 or more. Not only do you have to wait a year and a half to get a custom ANSO, you are correct.. it's gonna cost you.

But you know how it goes.... the high price of collabs keeps sales down sometimes, so they get disco'd, then in a few years due to so very few units made, they are worth as much as a custom!

Funny knife world.
Spyderco Collector #162
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the spydieguy is right, you know...

today's difficult-to-afford knives with lower sales become tomorrow's discounts, and next week's priceless collectables. :D

the lum is a great example.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

JspyEDC wrote:I have a few ANSO customs, and obviously I sell Spyderco knives, but I think one of the things Spyderco has always tried to do in collaborating with a custom maker on a production knife is to give EVERYONE an opportunity to own a piece from a renown designer like Jens and Lum etc.. without having to spend $700.00 or more. Not only do you have to wait a year and a half to get a custom ANSO, you are correct.. it's gonna cost you.

But you know how it goes.... the high price of collabs keeps sales down sometimes, so they get disco'd, then in a few years due to so very few units made, they are worth as much as a custom!

Funny knife world.
I fully agree with what your saying. Anso is a very hot tactical maker, and a very nice guy to boot. Personally I'm done buying knives for the simple reason that they may rise in value. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter to me if they rise or if they don't.

If I don't carry it I don't buy it, and if I have it and I don't carry it I get rid of it. :)

I think we have all been spoiled by getting fantastic knives such as the Military, Delica, Endura and the Native for such low prices that we believe $250 is a huge reach. I just picked up a knife last week for $700 and I thought that was an awesome deal :p :eek: :p :D .

So all in all Spyderco has spoiled us with awesome knives in the sub $125 price range.

aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

I am sure the price has to do with alot of things.
This is a totally new knife and takes alot of new tooling.
I wonder if part of the price is also the way the price of steel skyrocketed for awhile as China was building for the olympics.

They may even expect that with such a daring design they are probably going to sell less. This means they will need to make more per knife just to cover tooling and design costs. They could just sit on their butts and keep selling Delica's and Military's and proven knives that are designed and tooling paid for. Product flow in place. No problem.

Instead they go out of their way to bring new designs. That takes alot of effort and risk.

There is nothing like this around. I think it's worth it.
:D Thank you Spyderco!
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I love almost every spyderco I see, but I just don't "get" this one. What is the goal/ advantage of this blade shape? Can it pierce, or is it just a unusual looking sheepsfoot? If it was a Wharnie like a millie sized Yojimbo, I'd be all over this one.
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

mark greenman wrote:I love almost every spyderco I see, but I just don't "get" this one. What is the goal/ advantage of this blade shape? Can it pierce, or is it just a unusual looking sheepsfoot? If it was a Wharnie like a millie sized Yojimbo, I'd be all over this one.
You got a guy who gets $600-800 and it takes almost two years to get one.. you're talking "outside the box" design. He also uses incredible steel and materials, plus all his customs are completely HAND-MADE in the purest sense. Hand ground, hand textured, handwritten address labels when he mails it to you. A pretty unique experience.

Anso is a "big knife" guy and his designs give that big knife feeling to cutting and carrying. I am not unbiased in saying these things, I am a big fan of his work, but he is truly unique in what he does, and I think it is fitting that Jens' first ever collab is with Spyderco. Makes sense.
Spyderco Collector #162
Free Radical

Post by Free Radical »

I'm curious to see how the handle feels and fits. The bottom of the handle looks a little weird.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HONESTY COMMUNICATION ACCURACY SPEED[/CENTER]
[CENTER] "Spyderco proudly sets the standard in cutlery and other markets by delivering innovative, reliable, high-performance products. We always extend our best effort to conduct business in an honest, fair and proper manner. Our success is measured by making money and having fun."[/CENTER]