Rock Lobster Is Out!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much Sherpa, for the pics and the kind words. Glad you like it.

sal
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Congrats on your new Rock Lobster, Sherpa! and thanks for the pics.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

congrats on the knife, and THANKS FOR THE PICS! that's really what this thread needed!!!!! :D :D :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

Thanks for the congrats everyone. I am doing my best to stay calm about this one but at the moment if I had to get rid of all of my knives except one this would definitely be it.

I've got to keep quiet about it until I get a couple more.... How would Yablanowitz put it? ... PRE NEED REPLACEMENTS! :D

I'm going to bring my camera to work and get some action shots of it cutting wire and things. My boss is a knife nut too. I'm his dealer :D
Ansoknives

Post by Ansoknives »

have been looking forward to the release of the Rocklobster :) This is my first collab with a factory and am very happy that Spyderco showed me the honor of working with me :)

While i can´t comment on the pricing point I would be happy to answer any questions you might have about the Rock Lobster.

I really enjoy how this knife came together. I have had an old school Military as my bedside knife for several years and allways felt this was one of the best linerlock constructions so it was natural for me to ask for this in my Rock Lobster. I think Spyderco and Seki did a wonderful job on it...! I have the pre production run which is basicly the same as the final production....I have carried that for a good while but recently decided I would have to get that one framed and hanging in my workshop so until that happens it sits in the safe.... :)

David Lowry wrote:I always liked the original custom JENS ANSØ Rock Lobster, which I cannot find, for the life of me, on his site anymore.
I discontinued the (custom) Rock Lobster a while ago ...thats why it is not on the site. You will see one pop up on the seconday market now and then.
Sherpa wrote:I'm going to bring my camera to work and get some action shots of it cutting wire and things. My boss is a knife nut too. I'm his dealer :D
Thanks for the pics you posted and pics to come...! :) your the first I know of who has recieved one...so it is with abit of a thrill I read your posts.... :)
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

Hey Jens,

I know I'm gettin' my Rock Lobster from Sal if I can't get it from you!

Keep keeping on, man!

Tashi.
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

My favorite dealer just got them in today. I can't wait. My Lobster will be here Friday. I've been waiting for this one for a long, long time!

Still wish it was black instead of green, but green will do
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Hey Jens,

Well done! To both you and Spyderco! Ive been waiting for this one a long time as well. I got to play with one a bit yesterday and such and I very impressed. I thought I would think it was to large, or to thick, and I was pleasantly suprised. Its thin, light and feels like its smaller than it is, which is a big plus! Hopefully mine will make it in the next shipment. Do hope this isnt the last Anso Colab
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

Well I forgot to bring my camera to work. So i got some goofy shots around the house for ya. Whenever I pull this baby out of my pocket I hear those lines from Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child. "I was standing next to a mountain... chop it down with the edge of my hand" :cool:

Disclaimer!!! These are goofy pictures not serious!

Forward Cake cutting grip

Threaten the dog grip otherwise known as "bad dog" grip. My poor dog Woodrow has to wear a shirt because he has a drain in his chest from a surgery :(

Have dishonored my family grip

Cutting time in half grip

In my tattered knife pocket gripping my jeans

A glimpse of life through the eyes of a rock lobster. Life is too short.
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

David Lowry wrote:Well, let me put a positive spin on this....at least for me.

I did not realize it was going to be limited production. I also didn't realize that it had nested liners. I always liked the original custom JENS ANSØ Rock Lobster, which I cannot find, for the life of me, on his site anymore.

Due to the fact that I have always wanted one I am going to pick one up. I'm sure that Sal is not super enthused about the price of the knife and he seems to understand our dilemma. Thankfully in this economy I can afford the knife if I really want it, and I can't think of a better way to support Spyderco.

On a side note.....I'm thinking I was a jerk in the earlier parts of this thread. Sorry about that.

Critic is not about being a jerk David. With nowadays economics i wonder how small dealers can make a living with so small profit margins..

Try the anso outbreak siteforum for new concepts;

http://www.testlab-outbreak.com/model02.htm

this one might grab your attention.

;)
;)
Maarten
member of FFG Club
Left Hand Path

Cake cutting, dog-threatening, etc.

Post by Left Hand Path »

Thanks for the hilarious and excellent pictures, Sherpa. :D
-Nick

Join Today!
http://www.KnifeRights.org
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

while i really appreciate seeing pictures of the new rock lobster, i feel like the jokes about threatening a dog with a knife and suicide are in bad taste.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Qrt

Post by Qrt »

now that I finally convinced myself to buy a rocklobster I can't find a single one on the bay :(

funny pics btw
I'm sure sherpa didn't want to come over as threathening his dog but only wanted to show a pic of his nice dog while holding the rocklobster...
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

I thought they brought some much needed humor and light-heartedness.

It was obvious that he was in no way serious and nowhere near the dog and seppuku is a act very far removed from modern western society.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

clovisc wrote:while i really appreciate seeing pictures of the new rock lobster, i feel like the jokes about threatening a dog with a knife and suicide are in bad taste.
All I can say is bud please lighten up eh. Look at all the pictures and in the proper context it really is funny. :D

Secondly if the dog has had surgery for an ailment you know the owner must care about the dog quite a bit. :)

take care eh
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Nice pics Sherpa. The Rock Lobster looks like an awesome piece. :)
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

aero_student wrote:I thought they brought some much needed humor and light-heartedness.
+1
There's nothing wrong with a little light-heartedness and levity.

And I hope Woodrow has a speedy recovery :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Forgot to add, I like that warped clock, it looks cool!
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Threatening the cake and cutting the dog, I love it!
...or was it the other way around? :p

Thanks for sharing the pics, I have to admit, I'm a wee bit jealous that it's not my hand holding that Rocklobster. :rolleyes:
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

Thanks for all the kind words. I knew when I was taking that last batch of pics I was pushing the limits of good taste. I was in a goofy mood from playing with my Lobster!

Thanks for wishing my pal Woodrow well. He actually got it from playing catch.... he slides to pick up the ball if it gets there before him, at full speed. One of those times A stick caught him and there was a 3 inch long piece along with some "plant matter" embedded six inches from the entry hole. He only had a tiny 1/8 inch around wound on his chest. So first a round of antibiotics, then surgery, then drain surgery area once, then install a drain (piece of tubing through his chest to allow fluid to pour out all over the place all the time), now he is on antibiotics and one more week of low activity. So ya I love him alot! But I've been telling him I could have picked up 3 Rock Lobsters this month and let him suffer :D He claims he'll be more careful next time... This isn't the first time playing catch with him has cost me either. Last summer the ball i threw took a bad bounce. He followed it at full speed flying through the air, right into our sliding glass door and cut his face from the impact at the corner of the door.

Today I will definitely get some more serious type of work pictures. We will be changing an overhead electrical service today and I should get some good pics. Of this knife doing what I think it was designed for WORK! and looking good.