My Bday Spyder ala Deacon

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DAYWALKER

My Bday Spyder ala Deacon

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,

A few days ago, I celebrated the "4-0"... :eek: The weather was terrible, but I "banged in" from my duties in **** and spent time with my family, so it was great!

Anyway, I got a head's up from my bro the Deacon that "something" may arrive on my bday via USPS. Sure enough, on the afternoon of April 3rd, the familiar sound of the postal truck's horn sounded. ;)

Among some great Star Wars items, one of which was a musical card that will forever prevent me from having the hiccups again (I didn't know the Star Wars Theme was gonna play when the card is opened!) there was the unmistakable shape of a :spyder: box.

In it was a Spydie that I know the Deacon has an absolute passion for, and I am not talking about the Kiwi. :p It is a much larger folder, and sports a clip...The Spyderco Stretch! Not just any ol' Stretch mind you, but a Limited CF ZDP Stretch!!!

WHA :eek: ...I never really got to handle a Stretch, except for a short period when the local had one. Again, thanks to Paul, I now don't have to wonder about it, and why he speaks so highly of this model because I am now the proud owner of one!

I love the feel of the textured CF scales, and just the look of this one reminds me of some kinda "Updated Pro-Venator", and reminds me of when I used to carry some of the first Tim Wegner :spyder: models due to the blade shape. I especially like the jimping on behind the hump of the "Always is gonna be Spyderco's no matter what" RoundHole. It will be interesting to see how well the ZDP will handle the climate here in Hilo though...

I NEVER carried a $300+ folder in my pocket, and I was not gonna carry this one to be honest. However, like I mentioned time and time again, everyday you wake up is a "birthday"...so celebrate it well. In honor of the Deacon, my FIRST friend I made on this forum, I will make this CF Stretch a PERMANENT part of my EDC. Not only is this CF Stretch a limited edition...but so is my brother, and dear friend, Paul. So not carrying and using this one would be in some way rather blasphemous IMHO.

God bless and mahalo much Deac'!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Whatup stranger. Long time no see ya. Glad to see ya pop in from time to time.

I hope you're doing well.

:)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Tank

Post by Tank »

Congrats Chad. Thats an awsome b-day gift. I hope you truly enjoy it. I just turned the big 40 my self a couple of weeks ago.

Way to go Deacon. That is very generous of you. So much love in this forum.

Peace brothers.
-John
alexcue

Post by alexcue »

The Stretch II is my favorite Spydie Knife. My only problem is it's a little to big for legal EDC carry. But i manage to use it on "special" occasions. Something so right about this knife that i had to go and pick up the Original Stretch versions.
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

that's awesome Chad. Happy birthday by the way! Wow what an awesome gift and what a generous person Paul is. Thanks for sharing your gifts. Chad, you'll have to keep us informed on how the ZDP holds up in the humid salt filled air out on the windward side!

(lived in Kona for 9 years of my life) Aloha Nui Loa bruddah Daywalker :cool:
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Happy birthday Chad - and Tank - the big 4-0! Awesome knife and generosity from the Deacon - enjoy it!

- best wishes, Jazz.
MCM

Post by MCM »

"I NEVER carried a $300+ folder in my pocket"

Feels good dosen't it?

I carry that one almost every day.
Its a great knife for EDC.
slim, sharp, great blade shape etc.
Its also my favorite Spydie.
Have one in my pocket as I write this.
IMHO it will be hard for Sal to top this one.
But will keep buying new models & see.
Its the only Spyderco I bought a back up for EDC.
Have never lost a knife, but would not want to be without one of these.
So I popped for a 2nd one that lives in a box.
Its that good.
Watch, it will grow on you........

Oh and happy B-day....... enjoy the down hill slide....... :p
(am 7 yrs older)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Hi Chad,

Happy birthday, that is a very nice gesture (present) from Mr. Deacon. Your pictures make me want one. Carry it & use it proudly :)

Not sure what part of Hawaii you reside, but I spent 14 days in Oahu a year ago & I never wanted to leave. It's a beautiful place.

PS: One of my recent EDC knives:

Jay
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Chad, what's up? Good to see you on the forums! The Deacon (Paul) sure is a great guy huh? A mountain of knowledge for me. Enjoy that Stretch II Knifebro! :D

BTW. Got my first Lava, finally. It's an amazing piece! :)
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! What an impressive gift. Congrats DW. Deacon, that was one heaven of a gesture. Take care all and continued blessings to the both of you! ;)
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

Good for you man.. I only wish I could receive a Bday gift as such from a family member.... The CF on that looks alot like G10 is it a different process, it looks unfinished, is that the peel ply CF? Either way congrats and oh yeah.. Happy Bday!! :D
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

A very happy belated birthday to you Chad!
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Happy late b-day Chad, it's great to hear from you!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Happy Birthday Daywalker. Paul, You continue to show you are a true class act. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

Happy birthday, and beautiful present there! Peel ply CF and FFG ZDP-189 in a really ergonomic folder is a recipe for greatness. I hope to have a used one soon, but I highly recommend the Superhawk if you want to carry another $300 plus MSRP knife that just plain cuts. The Superhawk is the most ergonomic folder I have ever held, and I just love the hawkbill and comp lock. The Stretch 2 will be a great addition to my array of folders, and I'm sure you will get many years of faithful service from your new Stretch 2 thanks to the Deacon.

Mike
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

happy belated birthday Chad (nice gift!) :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Congrats and enjoy that one Chad :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p

Post by 224477 »

Happy Birthday again Chad! Very cool from Paul, he has SOME taste for surprises ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Very nice gesture from Mr. Deacon and awesome knife... Happy birthday Chad and enjoy rest of the day :D ...
“There's no friends like the old friends.” James Joyce, Dubliners
Kev-Man

Post by Kev-Man »

Congrats on the Birthday, awesome gift, and the good friend.

I got one for my birthday also except it was a gift to myself. :o I've been carrying a delica ZDP, which got bumped for the Stretch, for a couple months and no problems yet. I live Hamakua side and work Kona side so it is in some humid conditions some of the time. I just make sure to wipe it down before I pocket it.

Hope you enjoy your Stretch. I know mine has bumped my ATR as my regular edc.

Kev.

A couple picts. Got it on Tuesday and took it to the stones yesterday. ;)
Attachments
Stretch2.JPG
Stretch2.JPG (95.97 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Stretch.JPG
Stretch.JPG (92.63 KiB) Viewed 2715 times