Serrated edges, now what

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Serrated edges, now what

Post by gull wing »

does one cut with them, forgot? The last serrated edge knife I bought was in the 80's and my first Spyderco, a Delica. It was great for cutting up fish for bait, etc. I don't fish anymore! What do you cut with yours?

I just got my Byrd Wings Slipit and of course it's got the razor like serrated blade. It's great to have the extra blade, but I forgot what to cut with it. :)
A great little package by the way, it's a small knife, but the choil makes it comfortable in hand. The bolsters give it an "old" look, but it's not too heavy for a two blade configuration(unlike some other slipjoints). The friction on the blade/spring is substantial and just right to "hold" it where needed.

Haven't tested it yet or took pic's, just got it this PM. :)
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Spyderedge: Necessary For My Daily Work

Post by JD Spydo »

I've personally become much more of a serrated Spyderedge blade fan in the past 2 years. I've used the Spyderedge on just about every genre of Spyderco blade imaginable. I really started seeing their true potential when I started doing a lot of my own cooking in the past year.

I got out many of my Spyderco SE kitchen blades and sharpened them and I really saw just how advantageous and useful they are.

Currently I'm EDCing 2 Spyderedged hard work knives. Every day I work I have the G-10, SE Harpy with me as well as my 440V, SE Native model. Both blades have about 3/4 of an inch of plain edge on the tip of the blades which is about all the plain edge I need at this time.

At work I'm finding myself using either my Hawkbill or Native Spyderedged blades for all types of removal of polymer materials, carpet, extremely rugged material on bedliners for pickup trucks and for leather and various other cutting chores I encounter at work. The trouble I'm having are all my fellow workers are wanting to borrow my knives.

When you keep a Spyderedge razor sharp it's like having the teeth of a crocidile at your disposal. LONG LIVE THE SPYDEREDGE!!
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I too tried to get to the bottom of this question:

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36303

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Thanks for the link, MountainManJim, I missed that thread & discussion. :)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I was doing annual inspections at one of our apartment complexes today and discovered several young elm trees growing in one of the flower beds (under a three foot wide roof overhang). Several of them were already too big to pull out, so the serrated Crossbill came out. I was actually startled by how easily it went through the half inch thick stems. That sort of thing is mostly what my serrated edges get used for.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

EVERYTHING!!! :D :D

except shaving :eek:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

EVERYTHING, is dead right.
You would swear that SE was specially made for opening those b@$T@*! clam shell packs.
I even sharpen my carpenters pencil with SE. People do say, whatever happened to this thing, when they use it. It's real good though because with out even trying you get one thick side to the tip & one thin.
knife_junky

Post by knife_junky »

I just cant get into the serrated edge blades, do get me wrong I see the purpose but simply prefer a plain edge.. :p
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Thanks mountain, I printed all of it, so I can digest it.

spydutch, whittling wood with a serrated edge, I can't do.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
tap

Post by tap »

yablanowitz wrote:so the serrated Crossbill came out. I was actually startled by how easily it went through the half inch thick stems. That sort of thing is mostly what my serrated edges get used for.
If you were to pull out a serrated blade more often you would not feel the "need" to carry more than a "few" knives. The fact that you were "startled" clearly demonstrates that you are not using serrated blades often enough. You don't have to take one giant step and remove 6 knives from your pockets immediately. And you don't have to use a serrated blade on "everything" immediately. Simply give serrations an honest fresh look/test at more of your everyday tasks. And don't leave earth without some teeth.
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.
uncleknife

Spyderco = serrated edge

Post by uncleknife »

When I bought my first spyderco, 20 something years ago, it was a "standard" with serrated edge.
After a few days, I thought plain edge knives were a thing of the past, except for scrapping or whitteling.

I just did not understand why someone would by a spyderco with plain edge, they were saber ground & just not as efficient a cutter. It was like a ferrari without the paint job.

Over the last 5 years, reading this forum, I have bought a few select spydercos with plain edge, black handled calypso jr., then grey handled calypso jr., then red handled calypso jr., as well as caly3 g10 & carbon fiber.

The full flat ground blade sold me on plain edge blades.

The only Spyderco, plain edge I did not like, was the saber ground Delica, it was like a butterknife compared to the plain edged calypso jr.
JD Spydo

More SE patterns would be nice

Post by JD Spydo »

I truly would like to see Spyderco experiment with some new serration patterns. Some of the older ones were interesting like the ones on my fully serrated Catcherman. They were a little less spiky than some of the most common Seki patterns.

But I find uses for all of them. I feel that serrated, Spyderedge knives was what put Spyderco on the map to begin with.

Even the old Mariner and Rescue models are still tops in the serrated blade market. Stainless handles and serrated blades really go good together.
sal

Post by sal »

It's all them "points" pokin' at once. ;)

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

tap wrote:If you were to pull out a serrated blade more often you would not feel the "need" to carry more than a "few" knives. The fact that you were "startled" clearly demonstrates that you are not using serrated blades often enough. You don't have to take one giant step and remove 6 knives from your pockets immediately. And you don't have to use a serrated blade on "everything" immediately. Simply give serrations an honest fresh look/test at more of your everyday tasks. And don't leave earth without some teeth.
Hmmm...

I've been carrying a C44 Dyad every day for almost two years. I can tell you for a fact that for about 90% of what I do with a knife, serrations are a bloody nuisance. There are a few things that they truly excel at, but many that they don't. This is not prejudice speaking, but the result of considerable empirical research. Depending on what you use your knives for, your percentages may vary. :)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I like SE for the following:

-plastic sheeting/ ceranwrap/ cellophane
-nylon and other braided rope
-sandwiches
-things that are wet
-things that need to be cut rapidly or in an emergency (seatbelts, ect)
-tape on boxes and packages
-pullcuts
-carpet and other fabric
-some types of rubber hose

The SE Endura Wave is my favorite SE spydie, followed right behind by my Cricket and Massad Ayoob :spyder:
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

sal wrote:It's all them "points" pokin' at once. ;)

sal
My last two Spydercos are SE, an Endura Wave and a Caly 3. I think I am catching on to the teeth. I might even buy the Pro Files to get my SE knives sharper than the mere tree topping edges of the Sharpmaker. My sharpening OCD requires me to try to get each scallop optimally sharp one by one, though an UF Pro File would be nice. I need to somehow find a way to match the hair whittling edges that both of those knives had from the factory.

Mike
sevykor

Post by sevykor »

Advantage: wicked cutting ability & great in an emergency situation when you need to cut through belts, line, net, etc.
Disadvantage: sharpening (at least for me).
:spyder:Endura 4 ZDP Green
:spyder:Caly 3 ZDP/420J2 Carbon
JD Spydo

cutting polymers and serration pattern applications

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:I like SE for the following:

-plastic sheeting/ ceranwrap/ cellophane
-nylon and other braided rope
-sandwiches
-things that are wet
-things that need to be cut rapidly or in an emergency (seatbelts, ect)
-tape on boxes and packages
-pullcuts
-carpet and other fabric
-some types of rubber hose

The SE Endura Wave is my favorite SE spydie, followed right behind by my Cricket and Massad Ayoob :spyder:
Mark I couldn't agree with you more on your rundown of cutting chores that serrated, Spyderedged blades are ideal for. I could add a couple of chores to that list but most importantly is that you got the main idea across. One common denominator you see in Mark's list is that Spyderedged blades really do tackle polymer, rubber and rope like materials very well.

Yab makes a great point when he states that it truly depends on what you're cutting with them. I couldn't agree more. But I can say with all truthfulness that since I've changed jobs working in a auto/truck modification facility I find materials almost every hour that I need my Spyderedge for.

But I've always loved working with SE blades. When I used my big Dyad for my main EDC there wasn't hardly a day that went by that I didn't use both blades. That's one reason I even like combo edged blades so well. They are truly rope cutting gems. I still say that there is a lot to learn with "serration patterns". "Serration patterns" do make a huge difference depending on what you cutting job is.