Temperance 2 is Available!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSU

Temperance 2 is Available!

Post by PSU »

The Temperance 2 has finally been released [eBay link]

It looks like an excellent upgrade to the original Temperance but it's much more knife than I need at the moment. I look forward to reading a review of someone putting it to hard use.
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

There's a knife i have ABSOLUTELY NO NEED FOR, but will get at least one of nonetheless. The original is one of my definite favourites, i have a sneaking suspicion this one will be rigth up there, too.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Wow it looks great. I just can't justify spending that on a knife right now though.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
huugh

Post by huugh »

Quite a bit pricey, isn't it?
PSU

Post by PSU »

$330 MSRP with a street price ~$220-$230. That does seem pricey to me.
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
bh49

Post by bh49 »

huugh wrote:Quite a bit pricey, isn't it?
+1
PSU wrote:$330 MSRP with a street price ~$220-$230. That does seem pricey to me.
This is correct, street price is reflection of MSRP, but is sad to see that new Spydercos became less and less affordable. I really like this design, but not ready to shell out $220 for the knife, which I like. And I thought that Hossoms are expensive. :eek:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
amen74

Post by amen74 »

PSU wrote:$330 MSRP with a street price ~$220-$230. That does seem pricey to me.
Yes it does. But I want one so bad. That is one beautiful knife! :rolleyes:
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Was that the announcement that TazKristi was teasing us about yesterday?

"Wonder what tomorrow might bring. (and no, I'm not referring to the Forum Knife , not yet anyway)."
JD Spydo

Available in Serrated Spyderedge?

Post by JD Spydo »

Is the new Temperance2 available in serrated Spyderedge just like the first one was? I have the 2 originals ( PE & SE) and I'm hoping they will have the same format that they had with the first one.

If not I would like to know "why not"?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
coltsfan8116

Post by coltsfan8116 »

bh49 wrote:+1

This is correct, street price is reflection of MSRP, but is sad to see that new Spydercos became less and less affordable. I really like this design, but not ready to shell out $220 for the knife, which I like. And I thought that Hossoms are expensive. :eek:

Yep correct, I have slipped into Kershaw's as Spyderco is becoming more and more unreachable for the average Joe......Still love my spyderco's though
sal

Post by sal »

We apologise if the price seems high. Our prices are based on our costs and margins kept as low as possible. The knife is made in Seki by one of the best knifemakers in the world.

We used all of the right stuff; Full flat grind 4mm thick VG-10, double distal taper, satin finish, canvas micarta scales - bead blasted. Skeletonized full tang, thinner handle, longer blade, custom Boltaron sheath with Spyderco "G" clip. It's light, strong, fast and comfortable.

Actually we did everything that our customers asked for when the model was discussed. As it turned out, it is qute a beautiful piece. Our customers have excellent taste. I would guess that there are few knives that will cut or pierce along side of it.

It's what I always carry when hiking in my area.

sal
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I'm currently in the market for a fixed blade and this is high on my list. Comparing it to some of the other knives I'm considering(CRK, Fallkniven), its price seems fair to me.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:[...] It's what I always carry when hiking in my area.
I think I'm on the same wavelength. This knife seems to be a good reason for a hike :cool:

Now I'm waiting for more data of the Temperance 2 and for 1st reviews ... sooner or later I'll buy one ... maybe sooner than later :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
cougar337

Post by cougar337 »

sal wrote:We apologise if the price seems high......

sal

Sal, I wouldn't worry too much about the price. I think by now most of us know that you and Spyderco do their very best to try to output a high quality knife and try to keep costs down but that is a very delicate balancing act.

I think people would rather have the quality over compromising materials for the sake of lower cost. There are plenty of quality budget models produced by Spyderco and if there happens to be one or two that are on the higher price scale due to material/labor costs, I'm perfectly ok with that! :D
- Ian
See pictures of my Spydies at Cougar337's Den[/size] :spyder:

Wire Clips and Little Big knives....keep 'em coming!
coltsfan8116

Post by coltsfan8116 »

sal wrote:We apologise if the price seems high. Our prices are based on our costs and margins kept as low as possible. The knife is made in Seki by one of the best knifemakers in the world.

We used all of the right stuff; Full flat grind 4mm thick VG-10, double distal taper, satin finish, canvas micarta scales - bead blasted. Skeletonized full tang, thinner handle, longer blade, custom Boltaron sheath with Spyderco "G" clip. It's light, strong, fast and comfortable.

Actually we did everything that our customers asked for when the model was discussed. As it turned out, it is qute a beautiful piece. Our customers have excellent taste. I would guess that there are few knives that will cut or pierce along side of it.

It's what I always carry when hiking in my area.

sal
No need to apologize Sal, Your knives are well worth the money but being my career choice took me to Law Enforcement i am POOR :D ....I would never say a Spyderco is not worth the asking price just more than i can afford.....
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I'm more likely to get some use out of this one than my Forester. I'll let you know for sure as soon as Jay gets mine here. ;)

Premium materials and skilled labor don't come cheap. Spending $45 on an FRN handled knife in 1994 (when $8.00/hr was good money around here) sounded ludicrous, but I did that a few times. Now it sounds downright reasonable. For that matter, $200 worth of single malt whisky won't last me a month, and I'm pretty sure this knife will struggle along at least that long. It's all a matter of perspective.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
tea

Post by tea »

I was concerned and surprised about price when the Urban came out. Now that I have one- I understand the price. You get what you pay for.

Plus, there's always a deal if you look around. Again- my Urban was a steal- of course there are many members here who managed to find roughly the same 'deal.'

I'll be picking one up one of these in the future. Regret missing the first round. Great work Sal and crew.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

Wow! look at the lines on that knife. Very sexy! It also looks like a really performer.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
MCM

Post by MCM »

Any idea how many will be produced?

I know I will end up with one........... :)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
sal

Post by sal »

MCM wrote:Any idea how many will be produced?

I know I will end up with one........... :)
The run is for 1200 pieces. Generally knives in this price range rarely go more than one run. I felt that the knife had to be made so those interested (me included) would "get to" have one.

sal