Got some questions about a new knife.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MBKrPeter50

Got some questions about a new knife.

Post by MBKrPeter50 »

I recently posted a thread about some knives that I am interested in and the more recommendations I got the more nervous I got. I had a couple of questions on some of the knives I was looking at and I was wondering if someone could help me out?

First off is the Khukuri going to be a limited production knife? I really like the looks of that knife, but I am not sure if I should wait on it for now?

Second, is the Sage1 one going to remain in production once the Sage2 comes out? I want to collect the Sage knives, but they are not my first priority.

Third, I have heard some talk about an update to the Paramilitary and I was wondering what that update is going to consist of?( bad grammar, sorry) Should I just wait for the new Para?

I guess by now you can probably guess my final question?
I am stuck between about four knives:
Khukuri limited?
Sage 1 limited?
Caly 3 always liked.
Paramilitary Should I just wait?

thanks
Patrick

P.S. I am sorry I seem to keep asking the same questions. I know it is still ultimately my choice, but seeing as I really have no way to handle any of these knives before I purchase one, I figured why not ask some fellow Spyderco fanatics, whose help is always greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Current :spyder: collection: Favorite EDCs in Blue
Centofante 3, Native FRN SE, Salt I SE, Orange Ladybug 3, White Ladybug 3, D'Allara Drop-point, Spydersaw, Blue Salsa CE, Tenacious CE, Meerkat SE, FG G10 Rookie, Khukuri
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I can't answer all of your questions, but here is what I can tell you.

The Khukri is regular production, but the collaboration models tend to be relatively short lived. Don't expect it to still be in production in four years.

The Walker Liner Lock Sage will continue in production until sales drop off.

Sal has said there is an updated Paramilitary "in the works" along with fifty or sixty other projects. I do not believe it will happen this year, and I wouldn't bet the farm on next year either. Sal and company are very thorough. New designs and major redesigns go through a lot of testing and prototyping before they are released, and they don't get released until they are ready.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

If it's for collection purposes i would probably go for the Khukuri first and the Sage second.

If you're going for a user...

I say Caly3 or Sage.

Otherwise, i believe Yablanowitz gave you the answers.
Henning
Certified :spyder: addict

Help out at: http://www.spydiewiki.com for everyone's benefit!
MBKrPeter50

Post by MBKrPeter50 »

I guess that answeres a good bit of my questions. It also narrows down my choices again to the Khukuri and the Caly 3. I will look at the Para and the Sage 1 on down the line.

My signature shows my current collection and I really like the Khukuri, but I need a good user knife that is why I am considering the Caly 3.

Any thoughts on those two knives?

thanks
Patrick
Centofante 3, Native FRN SE, Salt I SE, Orange Ladybug 3, White Ladybug 3, D'Allara Drop-point, Spydersaw, Blue Salsa CE, Tenacious CE, Meerkat SE, FG G10 Rookie, Khukuri
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

Can't help you with the khukri because I've never used one, but I can tell you that I don't think there's anything you can throw at a Caly 3 that it can't handle... at least I've never found anything it can't do.

From house/yard to work in a warehouse to hiking/camping holidays, if I take my Caly 3 along, any other knife I carry just sits in the bag. My Caly 3 is the only knife other than my small Seb that I have a backup for 'cause I don't want to be without one.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

You narrowed your choice to two wonderful but very different knives (other than cutting edge length), and I don't think you can go wrong choosing one over the other. My thoughts:

Caly3 - IMHO this model epitomizes all the evolutionary design elements that has made Spyderco what it is today: organic shaped handle offering wonderful ergonomics; low riding clip for discreet carry; beautifully proportioned leafblade; large easy to use Spyderhole; solid lock back performance; and all in a sleek compact package. I think the Caly3 should be a standard in every Spyderco afi's collection, especially the carbon fiber handled version, but the G-10 is great too.

Khukri - This model took me by surprise as I was completely ignorant of the design. It's so different, but so useful. Now it's one of my favorite Sypdercos for these reasons: the dramatically angled blade offers unique but practical and suprisingly natural cutting positions; the function of the liner lock is one of the best I've experienced...opening and closing the blade is a smooth and wicked-fast single-hand operation, the action is very "tune-able"; open back construction, made possible by the linerlock makes for easy cleaning; the ergos of the handle makes me I feel like I'm holding a fine instrument rather than a tool; when folded its a bit longer than the Caly3, but not as wide so I tend to notice it less when clipped in my pocket.

Given your current collection, I believe you will be comfortably familiar with the function and feel of the Caly3. But for a pleasant surprise and something to diversify your collection and deepen your appreciation for Spydercos, I think you should try the Khukri.

To sum, I think you should get a Khukri first...but make sure to add the Caly3 the next time around :)
MBKrPeter50

Post by MBKrPeter50 »

I just want to say thank you to everyone who posted on both of my threads. Mako109, thank you for giving me such good insite on both knives. I ultimately decided on the Khukuri, which I ordered late last night. I agree that there are certain knives that everyone should have in their Spyderco collection (Caly3 and the Delica4), but as of right now those knives show no sign of going anywhere, so I think I will save those for later. I will try to post a review of my initial impressions along with some good pictures of the Khukui with some other knives.

thanks again
Patrick