Understanding the Wharncliff

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Knifewing

Understanding the Wharncliff

Post by Knifewing »

This may seem like a pretty basic question, but I've been wondering about the advantages of the Wharncliff blade design. What is this blade shape best used for compared to, say, the leaf shape? I understand different blades have different purposes (such as the hawkbill) but the Wharncliff puzzles me. With the point down at the end of the edge it's kind of like a rescue knife, but certainly with more penetrating potential. Other times, I think of it like a razor knife/boxcutter. Can you more experienced Forumites enlighten? Thanks.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Knifewing wrote:This may seem like a pretty basic question, but I've been wondering about the advantages of the Wharncliff blade design. What is this blade shape best used for compared to, say, the leaf shape? I understand different blades have different purposes (such as the hawkbill) but the Wharncliff puzzles me. With the point down at the end of the edge it's kind of like a rescue knife, but certainly with more penetrating potential. Other times, I think of it like a razor knife/boxcutter. Can you more experienced Forumites enlighten? Thanks.
IIRC, the original purpose was for wood carving. As you have observed it is also very well adapted to the role of box cutter, also works well as a frisket/matte knife. Unlike the sheepsfoot, it can be used where ease of penetration is an asset. I also use mine for sharpening pencils, opening mail, and peeling small apples. As with the sheepsfoot, the downside is lack of "belly", it would not work well for skinning and is not the ideal knife for slicing food on a flat surface. I'd put it midpoint on the versatility scale, more limted than the leaf or clip point, but more versatile than the hawkbill.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

Thanks, Deacon, for continuing my blade education :) I appreciate the info...
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I believe it's also a popular knife among sailors. Ones who want/wanted a sheepsfoot with better piercing abilities.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love the Wharncliffe now - it just hit me hard. :D It's an excellent utility shape, and has the point to make it very versatile - it's a great parer/peeler of things, envelope opener, box cutter, whittler, and SD shape (better slicer, and as for penetration, when you push the blade straight in the top acts like a ramp and pushes the blade downwards making a wider wound channel - not pretty or something I want to use it for, but nice to know). Not the best for cutting on boards, but doable and, could the Wharncliffe be any better looking? :cool: It's almost like having a hawkbill and a belly combined - I don't know, but I love my Centofante 4 and wish Spyderco would make a large and small Wharnie Salt with the Salt 1 and Pacific Salt's handles.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

If the blade angles are just right the wharnie makes an excellent SD tool. It will slice deeper without felt resistance than most knives of other blade configurations that are much larger because most of if not all of the blades edge comes in contact with what one is slicing....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
v8r

Post by v8r »

I would like to see a Wharncliff in the Byrd line.All you would have to do is take the Pelican blade and tweak it .So how about it Sal? :) My Pelican is one of my favorite Knives right now, but the design would be even better with a pointer tip.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

If you want to experiment and get the feel of a large wharncliffe, SFO still has the PE Cara-Cara Rescue on closeout. So for eighteen bucks and a bit of sweat equity, you can have a 4" wharnie.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Deacon wrote:If you want to experiment and get the feel of a large wharncliffe, SFO still has the PE Cara-Cara Rescue on closeout. So for eighteen bucks and a bit of sweat equity, you can have a 4" wharnie.
I just did exactly that. I'll have to post pics tonight. It rounds out my family of Wharbyrds.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Good comments all 'round. Another good benefit of the Wharnie is they are (IMHO) easier to sharpen!! :D
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

I find the Wharncliffe to offer better point control than the leaf blade. The Wharncliffe puts the point forward of the center line of the knife, maximizing control. The Leaf point and most drop point or clip point designs put the tip roughly in-line with the knife, making the belly the easist part of the knife to control. A swept back blade, such as the Persian, makes the tip of the knife hard to use for fine tasks.

IMHO, the best knife shape would be a balance of the Wharncliffe & the Leaf Point - something more like the D'Allara, except FFG. Another knife company calls this blade shape "modified sheepsfoot" and I find it to be a very useful blade profile.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

araneae wrote:I just did exactly that. I'll have to post pics tonight. It rounds out my family of Wharbyrds.
I really want to see some pics - and thanks for the tip, Deacon. That would be so easy to do - with the Meadowlark Rescue, too.

- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Okay here are some before & afters of my Wharnified Cara Cara:

Its a big 'ol long blade with a whole lot of straight edge.
-Nick

araneae

Post by araneae »

And here are some family photos of the Wharbyrds:

The M'lark has a nice polished edge and is one of my favorite knives. I like the Pelican a lot, its a bit heavy for my taste but the handle is well designed. If Sal made an FRN wharncliffe version I'd be all over it.

I like Wharnies quite a bit. They look so sleek and make great work knives.
-Nick

whkento

Post by whkento »

Ooooh, that looks nice! Good work. :)

What tools are necessary to do something like that? (What'd you use?)
araneae

Post by araneae »

whkento wrote:Ooooh, that looks nice! Good work. :)

What tools are necessary to do something like that? (What'd you use?)
Thanks. I used a 1x30 Belt Sander with a couple different belts, a steady hand, some scotch brite pads, 1200 grit wet/dry, and a bit of elbow grease.
-Nick

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

B-E-A-utiful! Thank you for sharing the pics, araneae. I REALLY like the Meadowlark - that's exactly what I wish Spyderco would do with the Salts. I just ordered the Cara cara to do what you did - now I gotta get a Meadowlark :( :) . How do you find the Byrds' edges hold up - any chipping - good edge holding? Thanks again - nice work!

- best wishes, Jazz.
v8r

Post by v8r »

Those are awesome!I guess I'm not the first one to think of that.Great work.
Ok Sal how about a G10 version of the Pelican.Maybe with a Wharncliffe Blade.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just admiring your pics again, araneae - I can't wait until my Meadowlark arrives so I can have a Wharnie of that size. :rolleyes: :cool:

- best wishes, Jazz.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Jazz wrote:Just admiring your pics again, araneae - I can't wait until my Meadowlark arrives so I can have a Wharnie of that size. :rolleyes: :cool:

- best wishes, Jazz.
Jazz- Post some picks when you do. I will be modding another one this week for Pneumothorax, as I just had a contest and he won.

I also have another M'lark Rescue on the way. Got a good deal, couldn't pass it up. I still need to get a diamond wheel for a go at the swedge. :)
-Nick