Prototype report with photos from the IWA show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Mr Blonde wrote:
This has to be one of the best looking knives Spyderco has ever put out. What is the typical time frame that Spyderco puts out new knives? My brother is graduating college this summer, I would LOVE to give him this knife as a graduation gift.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

There really isn't a typical time frame for Spyderco releases. We usually wait for information on specific models.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
TexSierra

Post by TexSierra »

Well, then I guess I wait and hope its available before May.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

That's about the most we can all do.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Ted

Post by Ted »

Great shots Wouter!
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Mr Blonde wrote:Rob? Who's this Rob you speak of? ;)

Yep, my wallet will take plenty of damage this year. :D

Wouter
Mind somewhere else, sorry Wouter.. :o

Rob does take some nice Spydie pics too ;)

Post by 224477 »

The 5" Temperance looks pretty good, thanks for the pics and updates Wouter :cool:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Thanks much for the pictures. Although I may have to blame you when I go broke (kidding ;) ).

Seriously, lots of good stuff coming and both the fixed blades look like must haves (the bushcraft and Big Temp). The temp handle looks much better for me than the original. I just hope it is priced within reach.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

SoCal Operator wrote:Any idea if the new Temperence will be serrated as well?
I'm not sure, but I guess PE only.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

NoFair wrote:Mind somewhere else, sorry Wouter.. :o

Rob does take some nice Spydie pics too ;)
Yep he makes top notch pics! Just pulling your chain a bit. ;)

Wouter
Mr Blonde

G10 Poliwog

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Poliwog makes a triumphant return with G-10 handles. Like the SS model, this model features a VG-10 blade of around 2,5 inches long and a left/right wireclip on the handle that also features a ball lock. I really liked this design, but after a year or so the SS handle started to become heavy, especially with smaller and lighter knives like the Lava coming out. The G10 version will make the Poliwog a regular player in my collection of carry knives.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Rocklobster

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Rocklobster was first shown at last year's Amsterdam Meet and it's still in the prototype case. However, this time I think it will hit the streets soon. During the pre-production process a small detail was found that had to be remedied. I believe it has been mentioned on the forums, but the lower part of the front of the handle would not clear the hole, so when you opened the knife, your thumb would be pushed out from the hole. It's unfortunate, but the knife had to be modified until it could get into production. It's a big folder, right up there with the Military. Actually, Jens Anso basically told Spyderco that he really like the Military and that he'd like to see those design elements used in the Rocklobster. This is the reason why the Rocklobster has a liner lock, 'hidden liners' and the regular G10 finish on the handle as opposed to Jens' patented finish.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Sage II

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Sage II is an hommage to the integral lock that Chris Reeve pioneered and made famous through his Sebenzas. This folder has a 3-inch blade, full titanium handle and a left/right carry wireclip. To me, it's not just the lock that reminds me of a Sebenza. The whole knife just seems like a 'spyderized' small Sebenza to me. Sure, it doesn't have the refined fit and finish of a real Sebenza, but the overall look and feel do remind me of a Sebbie. Funny thing is, that every time I'm tempted to get a Sebbie again I tell myself: "Too bad it doesn't have an opening hole and a lefty clip option, or a wireclip."

Wouter
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Many, many thanks Wouter! We appreciate all you do and as always, it was terrific (and way too short) seeing you at the IWA.

Joyce
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Sage II is an hommage to the integral lock that Chris Reeve pioneered and made famous through his Sebenzas. This folder has a 3-inch blade, full titanium handle and a left/right carry wireclip. To me, it's not just the lock that reminds me of a Sebenza. The whole knife just seems like a 'spyderized' small Sebenza to me. Sure, it doesn't have the refined fit and finish of a real Sebenza, but the overall look and feel do remind me of a Sebbie. Funny thing is, that every time I'm tempted to get a Sebbie again I tell myself: "Too bad it doesn't have an opening hole and a lefty clip option, or a wireclip."

Wouter

The RIL Sage is a beauty :cool:

Got a preorder in already :rolleyes: :o :D

Sverre
carrot

Post by carrot »

The RIL Sage is quite a looker. Where's the stop pin!?
Latest :spyder: -- Blurple Para2
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Wouter, first thing I did after returning home was to check your post and video clips. Great stuff and a real good alternative to the (unfortunately) cancelled mini meets.
Thank you very much travelling to Nürnberg and for all your work and enthousiasm. We highly appreciate your commitment to Spyderco.
B.t.w. watch your mailbox for a little something....
See You soon!
Jur. :D
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Mr Blonde

FRN Stretch

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Stretch II is my favorite and most carried spydie since it came out. I'm happy to see it multiply in FRN variations. As Jur mentioned in the video, these are engineered just like the Delica and Endura 4 models, right down to the bidirectional texturing, clip mounting, and skeletonized liners. One improvement these FRN models have over the CF version is the jimping on the spine. The jimping on these FRN models is much finer and grippier, compared to that on the CF model. That was the only small detail that prevented me from proclaiming the Stretch II the best folding knife ever. With the different edge variations, I'll be sure to get a SE and PE in VG-10 and a PE in ZDP189, just to round out my collection.

The ZDP version is fitted to a blue handle, that's the exact same shade of blue as the first run of ZDP 189 Delicas.

Wouter
Mr Blonde

UKPK Rescue

Post by Mr Blonde »

This one was a nice surprise to me, I have been longing for some teeth in the slip-it line and this will fit the bill nicely. The UKPK Rescue has pretty much the same specs as the regular UKPK: G10 handle, wire clip, 3 inch blade. I'd love to test this one out, this one�s definitely on my list!

This pic is especially for Arend, enjoy!

Wouter
Mr Blonde

Byrd Wings

Post by Mr Blonde »

This is another model that shown at last year's Amsterdam Meet, but that hasn't been released yet. Last year it had a carbon fiber insert, now it's G10. The blades are somewhere between 2,5 - 3 inch long and the fit and finish is really good. I won't be tempted to get this one though, as it's not very lefty friendly...however, I did see a dyad-type concept model that is lefty-friendly!

Wouter