Finally got my dodo..and wow

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderHS08

Finally got my dodo..and wow

Post by spyderHS08 »

Dodo finally arrived. And all I have to say is woww! This has to be one of my favorite spyders. the ball bearing is such a cool feature as a lock, the lockup is incredibly solid and the blade is a scary sharp factory edge! :eek: w/ no play whatsoever. I also really like the size, the big handle little wicked blade, wire clip, its a nice change to my collection. It feels so good in hand, the ergos of this knife are just outstanding. I honestly do not think there is one thing I dont like about it. Great job Eric! its a darn shame they discontinued it though..

I usually dont buy variants of the same knife in any brand..but if I could afford it I would definately pick up another dodo. and i Probably will, sometime, especially if they do a sprint run of another color..
I really like the dodo, yes the rarity makes it even more fun to have. but the actual knife itself is just great. Solid, short powerful little blade. Hopefully this will work great as my new user :cool: and I know some of you guys out there hate the way the dodo looks, but not me, I think this knife looks awesome!!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Yes, the Dodo is one of the best Spydies out there, in my opinion. ;)

The Dodo is an example of a knife that I bought to use, not to collect; but ended up being almost afraid to use for fear of ruining it.

I should look into getting another one... :D
Back from an extended hiatus.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Congrats on your dodo,enjoy that wonderful knife. :)
JT

Post by JT »

My humble advice, get spares, and then use the heck out of it! I've done so, and it just keeps ticking, so no need to USE those spares yet.. :D
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I will usually try to buy two of whatever spydie i`m buying at that time to put one in safe queens and one to use :) ,but that depends on how my finances are at that time. :(
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Ya I really feel the urge to use the heck out of this guy but I dont want to mess it up..lol. I know its capable of anything so maybe in a few weeks I'll start using it once the "newness" wears off :D
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

I just got a Dodo today!! first knife Ive gotten for myself in prob 3 or 4 months! Its fantastic, I'm off to work and hope there are some boxes to chop up.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
Mr.Sparkitle

Post by Mr.Sparkitle »

I've been looking to get one, but if I get one I'll need other for a spare. Nice score (you too tripod) seems as if you are going to need to change your sig now.
PE Military/CE Mini Manix/CE D'Allara/Yojimbo/Centofante 3//PE D4 Wave/PE D4 Wave/Sage 3/ZDP CE D4//Manix2/Barong/D2 ParaMili/G10 Endura//Manix2//M4 Manix2/Caly Jr./Sage II/M4 Military/Lum Tanto Sprint/MT01/MT02/MT03/MT04/MT05/MT06//FRN UKPK/Karambit/Bug/Honeybee/Grasshopper/Sprint Swick/Swick2/Chokwe//Military//ZDP Stretch//Delica//DayHiker/Lum Chinese//Sage/Chicago/Terzuola/Michael Walker/LeafStorm/SuperHawk/Gayle Bradly//Bushcraft/XHP Military//
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I'm also a dodo lover. I doubt there is any better knife for taking down card board boxes. I suppose if it were flat ground with a thinner edge and the same serrations, it might be better, but that's pure speculation.

Long Live the Dodo! :D

Oh, wait...
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
MCM

Post by MCM »

Agree, I use the Blue one, more or less just carry the black one......... :spyder:

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Jay_Ev

Dodo

Post by Jay_Ev »

I got a delivery today as well. Love the Dodo!

Jay
amen74

Post by amen74 »

The Spyderco Dodo is an awesome breed! I still think a run in orange G10 would be a good call. Even FG sounds great. I'm not too picky.

There are obviously a few Dodos out there, all you guys got one on the same day!?
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
JD Spydo

The Dodo: I won't go away>> Great user

Post by JD Spydo »

Last year when I was in a financial bind I was forced to sell off about half of my Spyders. But when it came right down to keeping either what I considered either "Holy Spyder Grail" pieces and special user blades the Dodo was one that I wouldn't touch.

My blue PE Dodo which I use around the house quite a bit is one that I find quite useful for a lot of practical chores. I even EDCed this same Dodo for about a month back in the summer of 05 and found it to be a great partner for the GIN-1 Spyderco Renegade I was carrying at the time.

I'm always on the lookout for another used Dodo either in SE or PE because I do consider it to be a nice user. I could care less if it's black or blue because it's the same knife. I do look for the Dodo to make a comeback sometime in the near future. If nothing else maybe a sprint run with a different color of handle and a different blade steel. There is too much demand for the company to ignore.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congratulations on your Dodos, guys and enjoy them. Eric has many great designs, but I consider the Dodo to be his best so far...
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
JD Spydo

Eric Glesser designs are top notch

Post by JD Spydo »

dialex wrote:Congratulations on your Dodos, guys and enjoy them. Eric has many great designs, but I consider the Dodo to be his best so far...
Hey Brother Dialex I 1000% agree with you on that one. I also am a big fan of Eric Glesser's designs and I also think that the Dodo is his best so far.

I just wish that he would come out with a similar design to the Dodo. I would love a slightly bigger one with possibly a peel ply CF handle and S90v blade steel. If I get to go to the BLADE Show this year I plan on talking to him about it. Eric is a great guy and is always willing to listen to your suggestions. He's a great source of information as well.

As popular as the Dodo has become since being discontinued I can't for the life of me see why Spyderco doesn't either come out with an updated variation of the Dodo or a new Dodo design. It certainly would have plenty of buyers for sure. I hope you're listening to this one brother ERIC :)
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

JD Spydo wrote:I can't for the life of me see why Spyderco doesn't either come out with an updated variation of the Dodo or a new Dodo design. It certainly would have plenty of buyers for sure. I hope you're listening to this one brother ERIC :)
I think I can understand why Spyderco may hesitate coming out with another Dodo. There's no doubt the Dodo is popular with us afi's here on the forum, but we only represent a small percentage of the knife buying public. The Dodo is a unique design that the average knife buyer may not appreciate. Back when I was an average knife buyer, I passed on the Dodo because to me, it was too bizarre looking, weird, heck I may have even thought it was ugly. So while we here on the forum may salivate at the thought of another Dodo, the general knife buying public outnumber us.

Jay
JD Spydo

You might be surprised

Post by JD Spydo »

Jay_Ev wrote:I think I can understand why Spyderco may hesitate coming out with another Dodo. There's no doubt the Dodo is popular with us afi's here on the forum, but we only represent a small percentage of the knife buying public. The Dodo is a unique design that the average knife buyer may not appreciate. Back when I was an average knife buyer, I passed on the Dodo because to me, it was too bizarre looking, weird, heck I may have even thought it was ugly. So while we here on the forum may salivate at the thought of another Dodo, the general knife buying public outnumber us.

Jay
Well Jay I can see why you think the way you do and to some degree I can agree with you in part. But when you add up all the new Spyderco fans I've seen come on line in the past 2 years along with the popularity I've seen spoken of the Dodo over on Bladeforums and a few other knife websites I think you might be underestimating just how many people there are that would buy a Dodo.

Many Spyderco models to me are like flowers that need time to bloom. The Dodo for instance was just way too far ahead of it's time when released in 03-04 time era. But now that a few people have owned and used them I think that the word is out on just how great of cutting tools that these Spyderco Dodo models are. Personally I would like to have 2 more of them just to keep in either my "bugout survival bag" as well as one in my all purpose tool kit.

The only stumbling block that the Dodo has in front it at this time is the American economy. That truly is a problem at this time. But popularity wise I think it gets more demand each passing day. Because like I said Spyderco knives are like flowers; the good ones usually bloom really well. Once people realize that these "unusual and unorthadox" designs truly have many pragmatic uses to them I think people will buy them readily.