Possible to change out the blade on a Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kraziekurtis

Possible to change out the blade on a Military?

Post by kraziekurtis »

I've got the Foliage Green Military with the D2 blade, but it only came in PE. My girlfriend got it for me and I really like the Foliage Green handle. I just would rather have something with some teeth that I would carry. I don't carry plain edge models much at all.

Is it possible for me to contact Spyderco and order just a serrated blade or what? Or could I send my Military to Spyderco and they "teeth" the blade? :confused:
:spyder:
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

Like you said, the CPM D2 only came in PE. I'd believe that precludes any chance to obtain an SE blade. AFAIK, Spyderco does not serrate a PE blade in any kind of aftermarket service.

I suppose you may be able to swap out a blade from a CE or SE Millie, but that would be S30V steel on current models.
~ Nate
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

While the blades from an S30V version and a D2 version are probably interchangable, you could adversely affect the lockup of both knives. Spyderco, like other companies, makes an effort to match lock pieces to blades when they assemble a knife so that everything functions properly.

There are some knife mechanics out there who will add serrations to a PE blade. I've seen posts about that on BF, IIRC. Don't know who they are, but a post in Maintenance, Tinkering, and Embellishments might get you some answers.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hi Curtis,

It might be better/cheaper for you to buy a full SE Military and swap the scales on them if you like the FG scales on your D2.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *