Military replacement clip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jameson

Military replacement clip?

Post by Jameson »

How would I go about getting a replacement clip for my millie. Mine is HEAVILY beat up and has been removed and re-bent so many times it isn't even straight in the middle, and basically looks like crap. It is the three screw style clip. Someone told me that Spydie actually charges for clips, hard to imagine on a $150 blade they would charge you for a clip so I figure I would ask you fellas. Benchmade has never failed to send me replacement clips/screws, so I figured the same for spydee. Thanks for the time.

JC
liko

Post by liko »

I've heard two stories. First was one who simply wanted a new clip that was chrome rahter than the black finish. For that, they will charge you around US$7. However, in your case, they may replace the clip free of charge in you send the knife in to them. Ask em to give it a sharpening, too.
Pachucko

Post by Pachucko »

Was the clip defective? Did it not perform to your satisfaction under normal/intended usage? If these apply you probably deserve a new clip (free). If it is simply "worn out" (remember, everything has a life span, and wears out eventually), or it was damaged/abused I don't think Spyderco should be responsible, a couple of bucks will do the trick. Everybody has to eat you know. Anyway, give the warranty department a call, they have excellent service, probably the best in the industry--Pachucks

"Mine is HEAVILY beat up and has been removed and re-bent so many times it isn't even straight in the middle, and basically looks like crap."

Edited by - Pachucko on 2/12/2002 9:29:32 PM
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

I would send it in, but I keep it razor sharp, and there is no need for a sharpening. I would send them the clip only, but whats the point? The clip is next to shot, and I need a new one.

IMO even if the clip is beat up from normal usage, on a folder that costs over $100, the clip should be replaced free. I am a big benchmade nut solely for the reason that their warranty department has re-built three of my afcks with new liners/scales e.t.c. and sent me 3 new clips over the course of 5 years, and I paid a total of $15 shipping for all of this. Thats alot of titanium/g-10/labor to invest in just one customer. I switched to BM after I called and asked for a new clip for my delica (metal version) in 99 and was told I was to be charged for a clip. Figured since Spydee is producing higher priced folders maybe they changed this policy on certain models.

My take on this whole thing, either spydee want to bang out the ELU for every cent possible, or the clips are expensive to produce and giving them away would not be feasible profit wise. I tell you, if I end up buying a spare clip, it will be a while till I buy another spydee SOLELY on that fact alone. If you can't get replacement parts for free or a nominal cost (I think a clip should be $2, and shippable for 34cents, that is reasonable) on a folder with an MSRP near $160 should come with an extra clip, or one available for less than $5. Just IMO guys, not ripping on spyderco, but if I am the only one who sees something wrong here I am whining to the wrong crowd.

JC
FREDERIC K

Post by FREDERIC K »

If you buy a Ferrari, you will have to pay to get new tires, as if you buy a chevy.
I cannot understand your point of view.
Jameson

Post by Jameson »

First off, these are knives not cars, not a good analogy.

Second, if Emerson Knives and Benchmade Knives never had a problem sending replacement clips to their customers, why does spyderco charge for them? Are they hard up for $$? I dont think so, it seems they know the customers have the $$, and know they can get it because the only other option is going to a machinist. At a much higher cost.

Do I think it is ridiculous to give away free clips and replacement screws to users, who bought a knife to USE, no. These are marketed as a hard use knife. It keeps the customer happy, and keeps them spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on knives. I have over a thousand dollars worth of benchmades in my collection, but only two spyderco's. Those both have crappy, crooked, formerly black clips.

JC
bell

Post by bell »

This should be easy to resolve. Just call Mike in Warranty and Repair. Tell him your story, see what he says.
Pachucko

Post by Pachucko »

Ditto---Pachucks