Why not more black Micarta?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bluntrauma

Why not more black Micarta?

Post by Bluntrauma »

I find myself just drooling over some of the older Spyderco models. The Calypso and the old J.D.Smith are truly a thing of beauty. Why not more black micarta?
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

The black micarta on the large Persian and J D Smith is my favorite scale material. I agree it adds significantly to the beauty of these knives. It also makes it much easier for me to carry and use them since the micarta does no damage to my pockets.
EarthDog
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Earthdog I agree. I seriously have not seen a knife that looks classier and more high end than knives with black micarta. I really wish Spyderco would make more knives with this material. Just thinking how the Caly3 would look in it. ;)

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
JLS

Post by JLS »

To me they are the classiest Spyderco knives in existence. In my collection, my Calypso Jr and my Khalsa are the nicest looking and it's largely due to the black Micarta. They do go perfect with a suit.

Unfortunately, I think they'll be generally passed up in the future. As nice as they look, they do lack grip and strength compared to G-10 or some of the carbon fiber textures. I would love to see a reissue of the big Calypso, but I remember hearing that Sal won't make any more unlined folders out of Micarta. That was a large and lightweight knife. The Police 3 is similar, but it's just not the same either. :D
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I'd love it, if the new Perrin folder would come in black Micarta like the Streetbeat.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Micarta is one of my favorite handle materials as well, I am fortunate to have few folders with it. I love my Persians, Shabaria, Vieles, Calypsos, and Khalsa. Not fan of white micarta so.
I remember some comments about a year ago regarding difficulties to obtain micarta in Japan during discussion of use G10 in new Ed Schempp designs. But may be this is not a case anymore. Phoenix and new Goddard were made with micarta.
I hope to see more micarta in near future. I was able to handle some Hossom's blades recently. Green micarta is gorgeous.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

I don't have a problem with Micarta full stop whether Black, White or my personal favourite Burgundy.

I've got knives in all three colours and would happily buy more IF they were available.

It doesn't stop me from liking G-10, FRN or the various succulent handles for the Kopa's............

I'd agree the White can look yellowed but for me that adds to the maturity and classiness of the knife.

I'd suspect Cost is a major factor here?

Regards,

BRIAN
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I was just wondering this myself. Why not more micarta?

I was just marveling over my Micarta Caly Jr yesterday, it's light, it feels strong, and it's beautiful.

I would be all over a new SE Micarta Cricket or Dragonfly :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
bh49

Post by bh49 »

buglerbilly wrote: I'd agree the White can look yellowed but for me that adds to the maturity and classiness of the knife.

I'd suspect Cost is a major factor here?

Regards,

BRIAN
Brian,

If micarta will look yellowish it would not be a concern for me at all. I am not a big fan of white handles. I am afraid it would be a hassle to keep them clean.
Also I saw some pictures on the Forum of White Horns with black (kind of dirty) micarta edges, it doesn't look attractive for me :o :( .
I do not know about the cost, but probably less expensive than CF.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
WallyCrankshaft

Agree

Post by WallyCrankshaft »

I could not agree more.

The biggest reason I bought my mini-persian was because of the cool micarta handle. It's a little heavy for my liking so it sits on my desk as an art piece :D Despite the weight it's one of my favorites though.

Love that black Micarta.
The problem is not with guns. It’s hearts without God, homes without discipline, schools without prayer, and courts without justice.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'd love more micarta. Most Spydies have liners and strength shouldn't be an issues. The G-10 only has a small advantage in that area anyway.

Love the feel of it and it makes a knive look classier. It is also available in a lot of different colors and fabrics to give variation.

Peters pics of the beautiful C42 Viele:

http://http://spyderco.com/forums/showp ... ostcount=1
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

I'm a big fan of the micarta on my Street beat. That stuff is pretty. Much better then G-10 in my opinion.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I declared last Friday to be Calypso Day. The UKPK, Stretch II, G-10 Endura and even the C44 Dyad all got left at home and replaced with Micarta Calypsos and Micarta Caly Jr.s. The funny thing is, I still haven't switched back.

It's really too bad Sal isn't going to make unlined Micarta knives anymore, as most of my favorites are just that. Even the way I use knives, I've never had a problem with that construction, so I don't feel that strength is an issue. I think it is more the thinking that light can't be strong, heavy is strong, so a handle has to be heavy or it isn't worth buying.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'm a micarta fan as well. Cost wise, it must be more expensive than the molded handles and less than CF, hopefully a lot less. In such small amounts, the machining time has to be a bigger factor than the cost of the material.

Why not offer the new Manix 2 coming out in green micarta - maybe a forum knife?
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

yablanowitz wrote:I declared last Friday to be Calypso Day. The UKPK, Stretch II, G-10 Endura and even the C44 Dyad all got left at home and replaced with Micarta Calypsos and Micarta Caly Jr.s. The funny thing is, I still haven't switched back.

It's really too bad Sal isn't going to make unlined Micarta knives anymore, as most of my favorites are just that. Even the way I use knives, I've never had a problem with that construction, so I don't feel that strength is an issue. I think it is more the thinking that light can't be strong, heavy is strong, so a handle has to be heavy or it isn't worth buying.
Yeah but steel liners are so much nicer all round. I find they look nicer.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

**** yeah !

I am a HUGE fan of micarta. Not only has it got that lovely matt smooth finish, the slight 'give' and dimply surface affords it a bit of traction as well. Easy to clean, easy on the eye, and comes in a variety of colours. Although black micarta is my favourite.

Micarta is so much my favourite that I got our friend Tricod here to do 2 linen micarta Lavas which are photographed in a couple of my picture threads. Tricod did them fantastically in Burgundy Micarta and Foliage Green Micarta.

My current micarta EDCs are my Large and Mini Persians, Kopa, and.... well... I am going to get some more pimped up in the future and liekly candidates for surgery would be one of my Delicas, Lum Chinese, Military ?

Tricod has a Large and Mini Persian undergoing micarta surgery ATM :p along with another project. Once done I'm sure it can be used as a template for future releases :D

Sal, we need more micarta please. Classic gents folders are suffering from the micarta drought :)
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

datan wrote:**** yeah !

I am a HUGE fan of micarta. Not only has it got that lovely matt smooth finish, the slight 'give' and dimply surface affords it a bit of traction as well. Easy to clean, easy on the eye, and comes in a variety of colours. Although black micarta is my favourite.

Micarta is so much my favourite that I got our friend Tricod here to do 2 linen micarta Lavas which are photographed in a couple of my picture threads. Tricod did them fantastically in Burgundy Micarta and Foliage Green Micarta.

My current micarta EDCs are my Large and Mini Persians, Kopa, and.... well... I am going to get some more pimped up in the future and liekly candidates for surgery would be one of my Delicas, Lum Chinese, Military ?

Tricod has a Large and Mini Persian undergoing micarta surgery ATM :p along with another project. Once done I'm sure it can be used as a template for future releases :D

Sal, we need more micarta please. Classic gents folders are suffering from the micarta drought :)
All I can say is "what datan said."

liveit_loud on Ebay.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco micarta handled knives are split into two major groups, the full slab and the bolster and scales. The first is probably sledom seen becuase few models of that construction ever sold well. The Goddards are the only possible exception that comes to mind. As for bolster and scales models, Spyderco doesn't make too many of those, but has used micarta it on almost all of the ones they've made.

Think in the full slab models, micarta does not appeal to those looking for "tacticool" or to those wanting something exotic, and traditionalists (or at least this traditionalist) prefer something with bolsters.

Frankly, while I'll take it any day of the week over G-10 and most days over CF, using it on flat slab handles is like painting over brick. The true beauty of the material is hidden from view. Micarta cries for contoured handles. The Street Beat is beautiful. The micarta on the Byrd Harrier, although poorly fitted, looks ten times prettier than that on the Schempp Persian because you get to see the grain.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

The Deacon wrote:
Frankly, while I'll take it any day of the week over G-10 and most days over CF, using it on flat slab handles is like painting over brick. The true beauty of the material is hidden from view. Micarta cries for contoured handles. The Street Beat is beautiful. The micarta on the Byrd Harrier, although poorly fitted, looks ten times prettier than that on the Schempp Persian because you get to see the grain.
:D Well put. I like my Persian micarta though, but the Street Beat contours does highlight the grain very well... and thus I need to get my hands on the Street Beat soon :p

Wouldn't mind the new Lava 2 (aka Maxi Lava) having slightly larger and contoured handles :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

The Deacon wrote:Spyderco micarta handled knives are split into two major groups, the full slab and the bolster and scales. The first is probably sledom seen becuase few models of that construction ever sold well. The Goddards are the only possible exception that comes to mind. As for bolster and scales models, Spyderco doesn't make too many of those, but has used micarta it on almost all of the ones they've made.

Think in the full slab models, micarta does not appeal to those looking for "tacticool" or to those wanting something exotic, and traditionalists (or at least this traditionalist) prefer something with bolsters.

I guess I get what you're saying about the solid slabs not appealing to the tactical minded folks but I still think they are drop dead gorgeous. In my view, I think a lot of times we get hung on the toughest knife for the job which isn't a bad idea if you need a work horse....but, sometimes you need a show pony. Those knives fall beautifully into that category for me.

I have noticed the grains in the Byrd Harrier and it is pretty. But, the sheer beauty of solid black with that small grain and slick look is just breath taking to me. ****, I feel like I'm talking about Angelina Jolie or something. :D

liveit_loud on Ebay.