What do you use your Spyderco for?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spydergirl

What do you use your Spyderco for?

Post by Spydergirl »

I apologize if this is a question that has been posted before. The other day, after being reprimanded for the millionth time about what NOT to use my pocket knife for, I began thinking about what I CAN use it for. I have learned that I should not use a blade as a screwdriver, can opener or bottle opener! I watch my bf sharpen his knives nearly every day but he rarely uses them for anything beyond opening mail. Since he's usually resharpening my knives that I have terribly maimed I have learned to be more apprehensive about what I do with them. So I ask you, what do you use YOUR Spydies for?
"Life's like a movie / Write your own ending." - The Muppets
Netsquash

Post by Netsquash »

I carry a SS Dragonfly that I like to abuse. I use it to open food packages, remove stray tree limbs. Cut tape. Some food prep. Open non-screw off beer bottles. Scrap off gunk from stuff. Minor surgery on myself, Practically anything.
I find the times I only really pay much attention to it is when I don't have it. I find the second I set it down for the evening I need it for something. It's such a handy little tool.

I would never use it as a screwdriver, hammer, or can opener. I don't pry anything with it. I might use my SS Endura 4 to smash glass if I needed to, but so far no need.

I am probably forgetting 80% of the things I do with it. I will add here if I can think of any more.
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

It seems every time I don't have a knife on me, someone asks me to use it. Opening packages, cutting duct tape, rope, camping, etc. I use it on my job everyday.

Most of all: peace of mind. Unfortunately, emergencies are not planned. They just happen as Murphy's law dictates; "at the worst possible time". I've cut a few people out of seat belts from accidents. Unfortunately, I've also had to use it for SD purposes as well.

No no's: I don't pry with it unless there is nothing else and it's life or death. I don't cut metal, wire, or rock (dry wall). I don't use my knife as a hammer or screw driver-just a knife. I also don't throw my knives. I try to use the right tool for the right job.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

The knife companies owe a great debt to the packaging companies. As packages get harder to open, better knives are needed.

Aside from coring apples, other food prep and packaging, I whittle hiking staffs and use my M4 Mule quite a bit in the wood shop. Confronted with a collapsing tarp in a storm a month ago, my Kiwi fashioned the ends of support poles to fit through the grommets to save the day.
Spydergirl

Post by Spydergirl »

I just found a poll from last month on this same topic but it's still interesting to find new uses for knives!
"Life's like a movie / Write your own ending." - The Muppets
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

I can't go through a day without a blade. I feel like I'm missing something. I have not gone one day without needing to use it, not one. Everytime it's in my pocket, someone else needs it, I need it. My caly 3 is my trusty sidekick and is truly an extension of my hand. As for what I do with it, I do what you do. A lot of people don't realize how often they use sharp objects. Scissors, blades, etc. They are used for a variety of cutting applications and can even save a life or two :)
duff72

Post by duff72 »

cutting anything that is not metal including occasionally myself (oops) no prying or screw drivering(new word) -Hair off my left arm when sharpening - several ladybug self surgeries - food prep (to the dismay of my wife) ,hey its not my fault it's sharper than the kitchen knives-guess i need some spidie kitchen knives
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
duff72

Post by duff72 »

Endura wave makes a spectacular bottle opener ;)
C.O.T.C.O. honorary member
brandonreed2008

Post by brandonreed2008 »

duff72 wrote:Endura wave makes a spectacular bottle opener ;)
I found this out yesterday lol
War is mostly waiting.
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

Today my Para assisted in slicing a banana for cereal and a tomato for a sandwich. Thank heavens for this heavy duty folder huh?
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I use my Delica 4 for food prep at home, works awesome for cutting up pineapples. At work I use it to cut zipties or rope, and sometimes I use it to cut string and stuff out of the tank on my vac truck, I thoughly wash it after that however. :)
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Lets see... what have I cut in the last week...

numerous packages and envelopes, paper (made a bunch of smaller sheets), chip bags, lots of cat5e, lots of phone line, zip ties, cable brackets on the wall, junction boxes for keystone jacks, tape, the back of a desk (cleaned up the hole), supper prep (meat and veggies)... and used my knife to start a dozen or so holes in the rafters.

I've used my ss 'fly for opening paint cans, food cans, as a screwdriver, bottle opener, nail clipper, food prep, cutting 12awg wire (single as well as power cables with 2 lines), hole starter, drywall knife... pretty much everything that you SHOULDN'T do with it. But I'm still trying to kill my first ss 'fly and that's been a 7 year job and counting.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Opening multiple packages and letters at work.
Breaking down mountains of packaging at home (wow, is stuff ever over-packaged these days!)
Gardening
Camping and bushcraft
Carving and woodwork
Fiddling :)
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Sometimes I Invent things to do just to have an excuse to use it,But seriously i use it for everything from opening letters to food prep to taking appart androids :eek: just kidding.There`s just to many things to list,It`s the handiest tool ever invented. :)
vivi

Post by vivi »

What's wrong with using a Spyderco to cut drywall?
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

Vivi wrote:What's wrong with using a Spyderco to cut drywall?
I have cut drywall,Linoleum,Felt paper,wall paper,carpet.I have used mine for several things while remodeling homes.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Vivi wrote:What's wrong with using a Spyderco to cut drywall?
it makes one **** of a mess :p

Usually I use a gerber EAB on drywall
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
THG

Post by THG »

SecSpyral wrote:I can't go through a day without a blade. I feel like I'm missing something.
Me too. I had a dream that I analyzed that said this. One day when I got out my car, I felt around in my pocket, and lo and behold, no knife! My heart kinda leaped, you know that feeling when you think you've lost something? And I was a bit more vigilant the rest of the day till I got home.

Then that night, I had a dream where I was at some camp, and they confiscated all knives. There was a beach, and they were all put into a box in the sand. Then we all had to go take a shower, and when we were showering, everyone was watching me. I think it means I feel nude without a knife :o
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Same general stuff everyone else listed. Packages, plants, whatever. No food, I have kitchen knives for that (unless we're "out" somewhere - I've used them on cheese, fruit, sandwiches and such in those circumstances). And no prying or screwdrivering (I liked that!) or hammering - unless it somehow became a "survival" situation. And then, I'd rather have a Fuhrman or a Busse, leaving my Spydies for "knifier" things.
THG wrote:Me too. I had a dream that I analyzed that said this. One day when I got out my car, I felt around in my pocket, and lo and behold, no knife! My heart kinda leaped, you know that feeling when you think you've lost something? And I was a bit more vigilant the rest of the day till I got home.
That's exactly why I keep a couple Spydies (and a Busse) in my car at all times. Currently a D'Allara and an Atlantic Salt. It varies but there's always something in there, just in case.
THG wrote:Then that night, I had a dream where I was at some camp, and they confiscated all knives. There was a beach, and they were all put into a box in the sand. Then we all had to go take a shower, and when we were showering, everyone was watching me. I think it means I feel nude without a knife :o
TMI Bro! ;)

but... I can relate.

Ken
玉鋼
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

My EDC is for the most part my Endura 4. I use it for
everything. Well at least everything that is Knife
appropriate, as in no prybar, screwdriver, and stuff like
that. I use it for opening boxes, cutting strapping,
slicing apples, slicing onions, and opening a variety
of other "openables". I'm pretty easy on it, even though
its one of the least expensive knives in my stable. It
could take a lot more use and abuse then I throw at it,
but I respect it too much to subject it.
Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll