Who truely EDC's his Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spydutch

Who truely EDC's his Military?

Post by spydutch »

Greetings you all :)

As the most of you may know the Military/SE is my most favourite Spydie. It's the only choiled SE knife in the Spyderco line up that I don't HAVE to use the choil to get a comfortable grip.

Furthermore the blade shape just shouts Spyderco :)

However in this time of NKP factor and knife restrictions popping up everywhere it seems that it's "not done" to carry such a big blade on your person. :(

However the Millie/SE is the finest knife I ever had so I really do like carrying it despite being "not done" maybe.

Now my question is: Are there any of you that tuely edc's his/her Military? I mean not just in the kitchen or on camping/survival trips, but for everything all day long. So where you go there goes your Military and whatever needs to be cut it's being cut by your Military ;)

Just curious :)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Only for the last couple of years. ;) My right back pocket has had one Military or another clipped to it all day every day including weekends and holidays since I got my first one. I do carry smaller knives to use where the Military might give some elderly person a heart attack, but the Millie gets the call for all the hard jobs.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
KamSingh

Post by KamSingh »

I EDC my BG-42 Military when I'm in the US, Jot Singh Khalsa also EDC's a SE Military.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Arend,
While not every day, my Millie likes to keep my ATR company quite often. ;)

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've usually got either my millie or endura on me, sitting here right now with my millie and kris and just rolled out of bed about 5min ago.

Unless I'm going somewhere that I shouldn't have a knife, my motto is to **** with sheeple. I don't go waving a 4" blade around and being flashy, but I'm not about to go huddle in a corner and hide my knife while I open something.

Your personal appearance goes a long way to calming people's fears. The more you blend in, the less they react. What's going to cause more of an issue?
A: someone dressed in dress pants, nice shirt and tie, clean shoes, looking well maintained... being polite to the staff... using a 4" serrated knife to cut open a bagel and spread whatever on it
B: someone dressed like they just came in from a hard day's labour in dirty jeans (maybe a tear or two in em), dirty tshirt and jacket, dusty or muddy boots, maybe a day's growth on thier face... sounding worn out and slightly rough on the staff... using a 4" serrated to cut his steak because the restaurant gave him a dull knife
C: someone walking in wearing clean jeans, white tshirt, sneakers... being slightly rude... using a 4" serrated to cut his meal, because he's in the same place as case B is in

Oddly enough, case C seems to get the most attention. Case B more or less gets ignored, though they'll remember you. Case A becomes the grey man, looking like every other businessman they see. Case C could get a reaction using a 2" because they're already looking for a reason to kick him out the door for being rude.

So it's not so much what you use and who happens to be around you when you use it, it's what the first impression you made with the potential nkp's around you before you used it. I'm usually running around in dusty boots, jeans, clean tshirt, sweater and either a canvas vest or leather suitcoat, with a full beard. I don't usually get any reaction using a knife in public.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I edc my CE military. I'm one of those people who just look harmless so no one has objected my knives yet, but I do take care not to be flashy about it.
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

ive been edcing a d2 millie since it came out. sold all my other folders since then (well...i still have some sak's :D )
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I've been EDCing my S30V Millie for over two years now. It's a great blade, and I only switch it with the Barong, when I need a more delicate looking knife.
hickster

Post by hickster »

I absolutely do! My S90V Millie goes with me just about everywhere. If going out on a quick stop or out on a nicer dinner, I'll usually grab the Sage. Those two knives cover 99% of my every day pocket carry needs. I'll be looking for a serrated H1 Hawkbill for fishing season. A large one, hint hint. ;)
hickster
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Only recently just started carrying my Millies again. They kicked my Mini-Manix out. I have PE S30V and a D2 model. First it was the S30V and now it's the D2 I carry. The Millie is so light and strong and just feels great in the hand. I carry them everywhere I can get away with doing so.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I do, nearly everyday since I bought my first military, when i'm dressed up nicer I carry a sebenza, or a carbon fiber military.
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

Yep, I had a Mili for 5 years now, of which about 2 years constant EDC. But then again, I carry fixed blades too, and almost always a Chinook, Mili or Police... :D I carry a smaller knife (Small Sebenza) to cut an apple or something.
oneformula

Post by oneformula »

i do. every weekend. (not weekedays with my suit)
oneformula

Post by oneformula »

yablanowitz wrote:I do carry smaller knives to use where the Military might give some elderly person a heart attack, but the Millie gets the call for all the hard jobs.
elderly people would care the least- the young ones have been raised to believe that OBJECTS are evil and that RULES protect us
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I usually EDC My Military until I get something new to occupy that space in my pocket. Then after a week or so I go back to the Military.

Right now I'm testing the waters with the CS Voyager X2, and trying to fit the Police 3 in there as well.
Part of the deal with carrying a 6" folder is it conditions the people around me to think that the Police and Military are perfectly normal, by giving them something that actually is ridiculously large to compare with.
At the same time, it is nice having a pocket knife that can hack down small trees.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
JLS

Post by JLS »

Yes I do. It's been an older 440V Military (but PE, don't know if you count that :) ) for years and was joined last fall by a S90V Military (also PE). It's thin enough to not get in the way and big enough for nearly all jobs on a daily basis.

About the only time I don't is on Sundays for church, I have other dressier Spydies for that job.

At first people at work were a little taken aback, but there are quite a few who now have their own knives and nobody blinks at the Military, not even the boss. I've had it out trimming hangnails as meetings and everyone is normally more amazed at how sharp it is and how sharp it stays rather than the sheer size.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
JBE

Post by JBE »

I carried a Military exclusively for years (02-06) in spite of having several other Spyders sitting on my dresser to choose from. I did replace it with an E4 when they were released but the Millie found its way back into my pocket after some time. However, it's since been retired and replaced by a Police 3 (fully-serrated of course! ;) )
Jason
ming65

Post by ming65 »

I used to, but have to admit changing my behaviour according to the changing 'mood' in society on knives. 90% of the time I'll still carry my 6 year old 440V Millie (that's had 1 eccentric pivot adjustment and still going strong). But when I go into town or up to the city I'll switch to something smaller.

The advent of the salts, particularly the Atlantic Salt, has crowded the Millie out of EDC rotation also - I live next to the ocean.
telemeister

Post by telemeister »

I wouldn't say that I EDC my Military - that role goes to whatever I feel like at the time. However, the Military is my absolute workhorse and if I need to use a knife, it is usually the one I use. I do a lot of emergency service work, and my Millie is ALWAYS with me when I do - after cutting everything from vines to gyprock ceilings and 16mm natural fibre rope, it is still as good as new.
Top :spyder:s : Caly 3, Stretch, Millie, Manix 2, Police, Kopa, Polliwog, Meerkat, Chinook III, and SuperHawk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Click the pic to see my :spyder:
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

My S30V Millie is in my pocket all day, everyday. It's a great knife and took the place of my full size Al Mar S2K a few years ago. I still carry the S2K....just in a different pocket!!
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||