Delica 3 beats the Delica 4 for me

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steve andrews

Post by steve andrews »

David Lowry wrote:Delica III's do not have a hollow saber grind. They are flat saber ground just like the new Delica 4's.

The only ones that have a hollow saber grind are the SS models.

There were hollow saber ground Delica IIIs with FRN. I have one, in ATS-55 steel. My other Delica III has a flat sabre grind, and VG-10.

I prefer them to the lined, "screwy" Delica 4.
I'd love to see a Salt I and Pacific Salt in VG-10, but I know that that would defeat the object of the Salts! :)
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

steve andrews wrote:There were hollow saber ground Delica IIIs with FRN. I have one, in ATS-55 steel. My other Delica III has a flat sabre grind, and VG-10.

I prefer them to the lined, "screwy" Delica 4.
I'd love to see a Salt I and Pacific Salt in VG-10, but I know that that would defeat the object of the Salts! :)
If you want a pacific salt in VG-10 you basicly would have an endura.
Buzzbait

Post by Buzzbait »

I guess that I'm the odd man out. I strongly prefer the Delica4 and Endura4 to the older models. I have a whole drawer full of wickedly efficient cutting Spydies with splinter picker tips. Whenever I had serious tough work to do, I hated having to shelve my Spydies and grab my more robust Benchmades. Now I don't have to do that. The Delica4 and Endura4 can take a dishonest beating, and they still cut well enough to do all of those everyday tasks.

The same goes for recommending knives to non-knifenuts. I'd give them Delicas, Enduras and even Militaries, and they'd all end up with a busted tip. No more. I can give away all of the Delicas and Enduras I want, and never have to worry about reprofiling another busted blade. The Delica4 and the Endura4 are awesome knives for people who view their knife as the only tool at their disposal. Right or wrong, it happens, and there are a lot more of them than there are of us. And the Delica4 and Endura4 are prefect knives for those people.

I have a lot of friends who are LEO's, fire fighters, EMS, etc. They are extremely hard on their knives. Many of them vowed never to buy a Spydie again after the first or second busted tip, and they switched to Benchmade. It has taken time, but the Delica4 and Endura4 are finally starting to win some of them back over.

As far as I'm concerned, the Delica and Endura are the cornerstones of Spyderco. Better to design them for 99% of the people, rather than the 1% of us knifenuts.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I agree buzbait,I feel that the endura and delica are the icons of spyderco. :)
steve andrews

Post by steve andrews »

Lord vader wrote:If you want a pacific salt in VG-10 you basicly would have an endura.
I have an Endura 3 that I really like, but would like to have the jimped thumb ramp and larger hole that are features of the Pac Salt.
I prefer VG-10 for use away from the sea.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

steve andrews wrote:I have an Endura 3 that I really like, but would like to have the jimped thumb ramp and larger hole that are features of the Pac Salt.
I prefer VG-10 for use away from the sea.
I can agree those would be desirable features to have on the endura.Not a bad idea,I never thought about it that way. :)
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

They can't please everyone. I personally was very disapproving of the newer blade tip of the 4th series when they came out. I long for the days of the splinter picker tip. The new handle style took some getting used to, but I like it now. I also preferred the old style clip for the very reason the OP mentioned, as well as it's proven to be a weak design on the Caly Jr. I also like the lighter weight of the linerless models, but then again, I've a Caly Jr. whose lock disengages when using the knife for push cuts just because it doesn't have those liners. I'll take the extra weight.

It's just one of those things, that you can't please everyone. The Endura/Delica 4 series was the result of much research, and input from Spyderco's customer base. While I personally would have preferred that they just add nested liners to the 3, I think they did a good job of meeting the customers desires on those models.

Also, I don't know where my Delica (now called Delica 3) is at right now, but I'm pretty sure it's a saber grind, and not hollow. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. I do remember hearing about some hollow ground ones, and always wondered if the design was changed.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
El Comanche

Post by El Comanche »

Thanks again for all the input folks. Yeah, I could be wrong about the hollow grind. Looking at the two side by side think simply the fact that the Delica 3 has a smaller hole allows the grind to be longer, steeper and thinner, thus making it a better slicer.
I can see the point(no pun intended) about the new points being tougher. It was a complaint of many before that had to be resolved.
If I could have it my way: A delica 3, exactly the same hole and grind, with the new tip design.
I'm definitely gonna check out the salt 1. Either way, we are lucky to have Sal and a company like Spyderco that always is striving to improve their products and are so receptive to their customers. I still have not been able to buy a folding knife from another company for 15 years now- E
What's the difference between a Republican and a Democrat?
A Republican wants to raise your taxes a little less then a Democrat and they both disagree on which freedoms you should have taken away . . .