Painting Delica Handle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Domino

Painting Delica Handle

Post by Domino »

Hey guys! I apologize if this is one of those questions that is frequently asked by newer members and there's some obvious answer for it, but I have not been able to find ANYTHING regarding this. Basically, even before I got into knives I have always been good at spray painting. I have a huge spray paint collection (mostly Krylon) and I was just wondering if it would be possible to paint the scales on my D4. In other words, will the paint actually stick to the FRN? Also, what about G10? Thanks in advance guys.
spyderwa

paint on handles

Post by spyderwa »

I have tried paint on FRN handles and found that it can look good in the areas that are not in contact with your hands as it wears off rapidly. The best results were obtained with thinned out model paint that was allowed to flow into the "valley" areas on the FRN scale. I used a sharp pin to guide the paint into the areas where I wanted it to flow. I would experiment with a cheap throwaway knife first to establish your technique. Of course it is important to clean and prep the area with alcohol or similar non-destructive solvent to remove any oil or grease.
As far as G10 goes, I don't think the end results look very attractive. G10 is relatively coarse and shiny spray paint does not look good in my opinion. I have seen people spray G10 with flat-finish safety orange for safety/visibility reasons. The results work well for the task at hand but it does not look that good. Above all you need to consider how the handle will look after it has been handled and dropped. Hope this helps.

spyderwa

Rare Spyderco Page
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa
robin

Post by robin »

what about drowing by dyng? It should be possible spayng something protective on the drowing area before dyng, or with different baths
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

A while back, someone used RIT dye to color an FRN-handled Spydie. It actually came out pretty nicely.
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!