Orange Dodo sprint! Please

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
antoine

Post by antoine »

YES Orange dodo :cool:
pageophile

Any Dodo will do . . .

Post by pageophile »

I'd like a minty new one so I could EDC my current "safe" queen.

Or if I could find an older one for a reasonable price I'd jump on that too :D
Spidernoir

Post by Spidernoir »

A Dodo sprint run? Oh **** yes. Orange, yellow, neon green or some other eye popping color that will cause everyone to zero in on what you have clipped to your pocket? Uh, no. Black G-10 is fine with me.
~Jeff
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

I am hoping sal is going to chime in and make me a liar, but we have been asking for a sprint of the dodo for a few years now with no positive response from the man that I know of I just dont think its in the cards.....
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
MCM

Post by MCM »

spoonrobot wrote:I don't think very many people would actually buy a sprint if it came out. Like most response rates I would presume it would be significantly lower than what is represented in this thread.

Think about it. The original was S30V, made in Golden and had a street price of $80-90$. It didn't sell well enough to last more than a 2-3 years.

If a sprint came out and with XXX steel, made in Golden I would expect the street price to be in line with current offerings; @$120-$140 depending on the steel and handle material/style.

If people won't buy an original Dodo for more than $100-$110 anywhere else but eBay how many can be expected to buy a new one for $20-$40 more?

Of course there are a ton of extraneous factors at play but even if they all could be identified and analyzed I think they would show it is still too early for a revisit to the concept.

I would much rather see an entirely new LBK similar in pattern and concept to the Dodo but more user friendly. When you get right down to it the Dodo was an edge maintenance nightmare, was too wide in the pocket and desperately needed a small but important upgrade to the lock.

NIB Trade for $175-$250 these days.......
They would sell like hot cakes.........
How about a pre-order to find out?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
vaa

Post by vaa »

Yes please.
________
COACH HANDBAGS
MCM

Post by MCM »

Just scored a Black P/E!
(Took me quite a while using 1/2 dozen want adds)

So yes, will need an Orange to complete the set. :D
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

MCM wrote:NIB Trade for $175-$250 these days.......
They would sell like hot cakes.........
How about a pre-order to find out?
Only on eBay and only some of the time. I saw a NIB PE Blue go for @$86 a few weeks ago. Factor that price in and see what it does to the aggregate value of the Dodo, I'd actually overall value closer to $115 if I could look at all the data from eBay since discontinuation. There are very few that sell on classifieds forums for that much if any. Ask the guy who was trying to sell his Black SE Dodo for $170-$200 on four or five different sites. Last I heard it was unsold, and then he took it apart. Which really kills the value.

It is entirely possible they would sell like hotcakes since I would think one of the major reasons would be people buying them would be to hedge against future value; thinking that each one will sell for $350 one eBay. This will of course kill the market when quite a few people have to sell early and it still doesn't address the main problems with the design that lead to it's discontinuation anyway.

There is still no compelling evidence or even rudimentary support for revisit to the concept. Lack of availability is not a good reason.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Did a quick search.
Also Plain blades seem to go for quite a bit more.
Black/more than blue.
See if this link works.....
http://completed.shop.ebay.com/items/?_ ... =1&_ipg=50
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

spoonrobot wrote:... and desperately needed a small but important upgrade to the lock.
What upgrade would that be?? The BBLs on my Dodos work flawlessly.

Ken
玉鋼
MCM

Post by MCM »

Maybe I clouded Yojimbo's in the mix?

But what I have found on NIB plain blade Dodo's seem to be 150-200
for Blue. And they get snapped up quickly.

Do you have any links that show one selling NIB for $115 lately?

I would buy several......

Thanks

(Oh, and do not change the lock)
MCM

Post by MCM »

"main problems with the design"

Enlighten me.......

Mine seem flawless.........?
And I have huge hands.....

Post by 224477 »

Orange, or red one look good, purple does too, not much into pink myself, yellow is awesome as well. Thanks for the colors ;)
I am blessed to have a PE black one. One of the most interesting designs spyderco made, to me.
Would like to see a full flat wharnie blade on the Dodo handle. Voo-Doo? :D
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

spoonrobot wrote:
It is entirely possible they would sell like hotcakes since I would think one of the major reasons would be people buying them would be to hedge against future value; thinking that each one will sell for $350 one eBay. This will of course kill the market when quite a few people have to sell early and it still doesn't address the main problems with the design that lead to it's discontinuation anyway
No I would buy mine for my personal use only, edc, not to re-sell. I have been wanting a dodo for quite some time now. Especially if it s orange, I love my orange ukpk!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Part of the problem with using eBay to show valuation for a particular knife is that it is only a small part of the entire aggregated data available. EBay shows the maximum dollar amount a segment is willing to pay when bidding against other people. This is not the maximum all/most/enough people will pay, point of fact is that the vast majority of people who want a Dodo will pay significantly less than eBay prices. Which, in themselves fluctuate on a case by case basis. MCM posted data for 5 similar knives that all sold for >$165. This is quite impressive for the Dodo, shows a lot of demand, no?

Not quite. A few weeks ago a similar selection of Dodos were up for sale with the lowest sale price at @$86 and the highest @$120. This was five knives in similar condition with similar features, even with the inclusion of the usually highest valued variant; a Black PE model, which was the one that sold for @$120, the average price was more in line with what buyers are actually willing to pay across all available outlets of sale.

The easiest proof of this is to search for Dodos for sale on classifieds forums. I know of at least a half-dozen that routinely have Dodos for sale. Noting the prices for any given length of time it's easy to see that when the purchasing situation is not a "competition" the buyer is willing to spend much less. Apply that to a sprint run for the knife (given that it is close to the same in features and steel) and one could conclude that the price needs to be close to the non-eBay market value since most buyers do not acquire their knives through auction scenarios.

The problems with the Dodo have been cited before and land on the objective side of the argument. One can easily disagree by citing their own experience/opinion but the numbers are still there and are not swayed by how one feels about something.

It was significantly wider than most other Spyderco folders of similar overall length. The blade has been much maligned by all types of users as being intimidating to sharpen and almost impossible to repair if the edge is damaged. The ball lock is lacking; it functions, but in the stock form is below the standards of the company. It cannot easily or comfortably be manipulated with wide thumbs, thumbs with shorter nails or thumbs that are the slightest oily/wet.
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Cmon now spoonrobot this is a dodo appreciation thread not a Dodo dis thread :p
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I think that Sprint Orange Dodo would be a success. I started similar thread on BF and it is picking up.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
duff72

Post by duff72 »

love the kawasaki green one in the picture want a jester that color but no luck yet
jah

Post by jah »

I would love an orange PE DODO! :D
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Orange Dodo to go with my Blue Dodo?

Well, YES!

The Orange and Blue Dodos could cheer for the Gators, and go CHOMP!

:D
EarthDog