JD Smith Sprint Run (pics)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I'll echo David's remark, in that the original hollow saber grind gave some beauty and character to the knife, which a FF grind just doesn't provide on this blade shape. It still won't stop me from buying one, however. :)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
El Tigre

Post by El Tigre »

I'm going to buy one, but the hollow saber grind looks better in the JD Smith. IMO.

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I agree with some of the guys that the FFG blade does not have as much visual appeal, I would still rather use a FFG blade though. I would buy this knife if I wasn't broke. I love the look of the fine tip, and the handle looks like it would be very comfortable. Thanks for posting pics!
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Manix Guy 2

Mixed feelings

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

yeah I have to agree on some points spoken . Yes Green to some may be over done , for me I would rather see it in Micarta . I miss the hollow grind as mentioned and also feel the FFG lacks in beauty . I WILL still buy one regardless , anytime I can find an Ambi clip this size is a plus for me and have an order in at this time . Regards MG2
Elsilrac1

Post by Elsilrac1 »

Got my JD Smith in today (Thanks Tom). I took some pics to maybe put you at ease. This is a great looking knife, and even with the full flat grind, the classic is still there (How can we doubt Spyderco). Now the tough choice is do I carry it, or just admire it. I wish I could have afforded two.

and the SPydrer Cat was so impressed she went to sleep!

Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

the gunstock of the tactical world.
dragonram7

Post by dragonram7 »

There is no way I could leave it in it's box.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I like the looks of the micarta ATS55 version but for a user I'd definitely take the G10, FFG sprint. Not much chance. I could buy two sebenzas with this months vet bills. I'm afraid it's merely the beginning unfortunately.

It's a shame, not only because the dogs sick but I really think I would like the Smith, and use it regulary. It has everything I like, including lock style, steel type, grind, etc.

Sometimes it's just not meant to be. I've wanted a Smith with these features since the original came out and I bought it.

The color does not bother me at all. People seem to be developing strong emotions over what is a simple, appropriate color.

Some just need their drama IMO. Me, I just need money for knives, Dogs vet bills, and my next operation. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

RazorSharp86 wrote:This knife was a great disappointment for me.
The blade seems was smaller, compared to the older thick blade. Also, the Foliage Green is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo overdone already, I'm getting sick to my stomach already, instead of reminding me of nice, natural colors, now it just reminds me of fungus, maybe vomit.... WAY TOO MUCH FG, SPYDERCO!
so sorry about the disappointment... but don't worry. I'll help you dispose of this blade in an authorized manner, at no charge. give me a PM, i'll send you my address, you send the knife... i'll give it an alaskan funeral... ;)
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

The Mastiff wrote: The color does not bother me at all. People seem to be developing strong emotions over what is a simple, appropriate color.
good point, mr. mastiff. :D there is indeed an abundance of FFG, and i'm not abundantly attracted to it, but... whatever. i can't see the color when the knife is in my hand. :D

i feel like the most "functional" color is marine yellow, which has kept me from losing a knife quite a few times. love that stuff. :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder: