The Ladybug!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

sal wrote:Thanx for the kind words, it's appreciated.

We've been trying to develop market appreciation for small high performance knives for many years now. It's hard to convince people that a small sharp blade is very useful, easy to carry and socially friendly.

SOOOOoooooo, while we're on the suibject, could I get some opinions?

We have out or in the works:

Purple
H1 Yellow
Foliage Green

I don't know if we can get a small amount of thin ZDP so that could be a tough challenge. If we can, it would have to be British Racing Green to fit the other ZDP models.

We had requests for an H1 version, to which we responded. We've had requests for colors, orange & white were sprints, but I believe our managers decided to keep purple as a regular color.

We've had requests for:

G-10 handle
Carbon Fiber handle
Slip-joint version

Are there any other variations of our Ladybug that you would want to own?

sal
Hi Sal,

I'm glad you responded to the calls for these variations of the Ladybug. As you may know I am a big fan of the Ladybug and have gifted so many to family and friends who now find them very useful. I carry an SE and a S/S PE version with me everywhere I go ! Bloody useful, simple, effective, AND KNP friendly.

The H1 version is one which I have hankered for so long. It is an ideal partner to take anywhere and everywhere. Purple is an excellent FRN colour. Foliage Green just adds another dimension to the lineup.... not my favourite colour in FRN but good for variety. I would like to see a Dark Blue and Plum coloured FRN for the Ladybug if possible. I think they will make excellent partners and great for NKP likeability. Also Pink ???

Not sure about using ZDP for such a small blade. It seems a bit wasteful and the amount of work and cost into that would make that particular Lady be too hard to reach.

FFG on a Ladybug would be interesting, but once again would the work involved in that make it unviable?

Whilst I love my premium knives, I think the Ladybug should be aimed squarely at its intended market. Apply the KISS principle to the Ladybug because it really does sit smack bang in there. Too much fussing with costly Titanium or CF for this tiny utility blade 'MAY' mean that not so many units would be sold.

Just my AUD 0.02c worth. YMMV :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
ChapmanPreferred

ZDP would be fun...

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

ZDP would be fun on either the LB3 or the Jester. I would buy some of each. :)
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
suedeface

Post by suedeface »

I'd really like it if they made a comboedge ladybug and offered a black FRN handle on the H-1 version. Yellow would be O.K I guess, but I'd much rather get a black one.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

datan wrote:Hi Sal,

............Pink ???
My wife would love that!
712KY

Ladybug variations

Post by 712KY »

Sal,

Thanks for taking the time to ask us.

The Ladybug is the most used, around the house, type knife. I agree with the many other people that have said it is simple and cost effective. IMHO the colors of the FRN handles make them "fun". Don't get me wrong. . . I love the black FRN, almite scales, stainless, carbon fiber, etc, but the attraction for my other family members is that it is not as "Knife-ish" (intimidating?) as my Scorpius, Sage, D'Allara. FRN colors like lime green, maroon, blue (like the dodo), bright red (I know, trainers only).
hickster wrote:can FRN be made as a mixture of two colors in some sort of a swirl pattern?
hickster
hickster's idea is dead on. How about red white and blue-a new type of Pride knife?

I really like the idea of G-10 Ladybug. I'd eagerly buy a handful.

I doubt the Carbon Fiber one would sell as well due to (anticipated) increased cost.

How about an acid etched Ladybug (like cricket/Spin etc.) ?

K
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

sal wrote:Anything can be made out of any steel, but whether or not the value will be there becomes the question. S90V is difficult to work with. Smaller pieces are even more difficult to work with. You would have to pay a premium for the material, processing costs and a premium for the small size.

In addition, we would have to purchase a very large amount of steel in a very thin size. Limited market means we sit on a lot of money in steel.

sal
I understand - Thank you for your time. (Though I still want one, please... Wish there was a custom shop at Spyderco)
LowTEC

Post by LowTEC »

I bought quite a few Ladybugs to gift my friends, but I never kept one for myself. The reason is I can't get enough grip out of the FRN handle for heavier task. I know it isn't meant to be cutting heavy material due to the short handle but if given ZDP, CPM D2 steel, flat grind, and gripping G10, it might actually be quite effective doing heavier jobs :)
LBK3S|C52BK|C106PYL|745|943|C08CFS|C52m|C36GPBK|C10GPFG|1003UBK2|14210|C123CFP|C81FG
C28WH|1600DAM|C105|RC4S|C51GPFG|1735OR|830675|C90CF|C123TIP|CS97KMS|BRKT-CS|BRKT-MC
BRKT-LC3V|C101XHP
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Are these exciting times or what??

I've got 2 purple l'bugs on the way hooray!!!

They will be my 3rd and 4th ones.

This is truly one formidable "little big knife"...do not underestimate the power of the ladybug, especially with teeth!

Great keychain knife!!

Purple!! I can't wait....Spyderco, you guys ROCK!!!

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
cr78

Post by cr78 »

I would LOVE to see a g-10 model in either black, foliage green, or burgundy. And a full flat grind!!!! That would be fantastic.
cougar337

so no Yellow H1 Ladybug yet

Post by cougar337 »

realitycheck wrote:Whoa where are you guys buying the H1 ladybug's I cant find them online?
PE Preferrably
cougar337 wrote:I purchased them from YourCornerStore, it shows they have 9 in stock at this point. Hopefully it's true and they are out otherwise I just bought wind in a jar. yourcornerstore has done good by me in the past so I have little reason to doubt they are carrying what they say they are carrying......time will tell I guess

Code: Select all

Date Ordered: Saturday 31 January, 2009

The comments for your order are: Best guess for when this order may ship:
within 30 days

Your order has been updated to the following status:
New status: Pre-Order

Please reply to this email if you have any questions.
So it was too good to be true. :( I got this email from YourCornerStore today, needless to say I'm a little disappointed in them for showing that they had stock and then changing to pre-order. I guess things happen, but I guess it could be worse too
vito72

Post by vito72 »

SpyderHun

Post by SpyderHun »

I have a purple Ladybug en route, although I have to say I was rather disappointed to see it only comes in PE :mad: . Please make it available in SE too. I would also be glad to consider any high-end Ladybugs - in fact, I was going to suggest you making them myself at some point :) .

BTW, I truly appreciate you inquiring about your customers' opinions. This sets Spyderco apart from most, if not all, other companies.
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

+1 for G-10, titanium, or micarta!!!

Little Big Knives + premium materials just works. No one else really does that to the extent Spyderco does.

Also, I've been thinking about another idea. I've always wished the ladybug was slightly larger- maybe closer to the kiwi's size. I figure since the ladybug is considered a "mini-delica",... how about a "mini-endura" to complete the lineup?
tomoto

Post by tomoto »

would love to see variations in FRN colour w/ H1. I like yellow but some variety would be nice.
so..
+1 Orange FRN w/ H1
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Every time I look at this thread I think Tye Dye.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

And again here's Spydutch again with on of his strange(stupid :confused: :o ) suggestions.

I know the Ladybug was intended as keychain knife but I would really like to see if Spyderco could make some kind of clip for it. This way I can clip it ot my pocket instead of let it dangle and get all scratched up on my keychain. I'm not to big on lanyards either.

Best would be some kind of aftermarket clip that fits in the lanyard hole. You could send the clip together with the knife so it's up to the user.

Would be great but I'm afraid I'm the only one on this :confused:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

spydutch wrote:And again here's Spydutch again with on of his strange(stupid :confused: :o ) suggestions.

I know the Ladybug was intended as keychain knife but I would really like to see if Spyderco could make some kind of clip for it. This way I can clip it ot my pocket instead of let it dangle and get all scratched up on my keychain. I'm not to big on lanyards either.

Best would be some kind of aftermarket clip that fits in the lanyard hole. You could send the clip together with the knife so it's up to the user.

Would be great but I'm afraid I'm the only one on this :confused:
No you aren't the only one and somewhere in this thread I suggested the same thing. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see this knife clipped!!! :D
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The Ladybug is an always EDC for me.....For so many years I carried my father's original Ladybug it's in Red FRN....still sharp as day one and my most used Spyderco....recently my wife stole it from me and now proudly announces to anyone who will listen..."This is how good Spyderco knives are...this knife is my son's grandfathers spyderco, they exists no blade play and is sharp as day one, (wonder where she got that one from) the quality of these knives is unsurpassed." Sal....I'm never gonna be able to get that one back (sigh) and have been reduced to EDCing a Black FRN....so if you are taking suggestions...bring back the old FRN Red Ladybug...at least I still have my Blue FRN SE Delica (another one of those Grandpa's knives) with the old style clip (deeply hidden).....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Arend,

You are not alone in your thinking for a clip on a Ladybug.

We have created a few designs, but we're still working out details.

al
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

sal wrote:Hi Arend,

You are not alone in your thinking for a clip on a Ladybug.

We have created a few designs, but we're still working out details.

al
So I guess there's hope Sal? ;)

I find the Ladybugs(and before the Jesters) amazing little cutters.

Great ergo's for such a small knife and I have yet to meet a non knife enthousiast who will be scared of a Ladybug.

And to be honest: most of my daily cuttings is done with the LadybugIII/SE on my keychain so clipped will be even better.

Well Sal, let's hope that you and your crew are able to work out those details soon ;) :)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p